Join our zoo community

Invertebrates

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Matt Lawrence, 19 Jan 2008.

1. Matt Lawrence

Matt Lawrence Member

I was just wondering how many of you keep inverts as pets, I have two, A Whistling Spider (Phlogius Sarina)
    and a Desert scorpion (Urodacus yaschenkoi).

I'd like to hear about you inverts?

2. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Giant Burrowing Cockroaches
    Desert Scorpion
    Flinders Range Scorpion
    Alpiine Rock Scorpion
    Rainforest Scorpion
    Tarantula
    Hermit Crabs
    Goliath Stick Insect
    Leafy Stick Insect
    Giant Millipede
    Giant Centipede
    Desert Crabs
    rHINO bEETLES
    AND on occasion, butterflies

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

taht sounds like the list of species on a website Jarkari? ;)

4. Jarkari

no from an email actually ben, I can't remember some of the bugs so I just read the invoice from the breeder. only have the roaches and the stick insects at the moment the rest arrive later, and the butterflies I only get in for weddings and funerals and stuff.

5. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yeah its cool, i know that breeder

Does the list include Corals or Anenomes?
    Or every marine invert i find in live rock?

6. Jarkari

Yeah from him. . . . ah say what?

7. Xerxes

Xerxes Active Member

I have some small aquatic snails in my larger aquarium; they're quite pesky. They damage your plants. I haven't seen any in a while, but I know they're still there.

I don't get them on purpose though ; they come in with aquatic plants from the shop. I guess the places where they grow these aquatic plants are contaminated by these snails.

8. torie

torie Well-Known Member

that happened to me too!!!! it started with like one or two and then they bred like crzy and now their every where and are clogging up the filter and stuff! if you find out how to get rid of them let me know...

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

A clown loach will eat all your snails, or a reticulated or dwarf loach, dont use kuhlu loaches they wont eat snails enough

10. Matt Lawrence

Matt Lawrence Member

Same thing happened to me when I used to have an aquarium, And I done what Ben said I bought a couple of clown loaches, They worked! got rid of them all. just be carful when I went to the pet shop and asked a person working there how to get rid of snails he recomened a chemical that you put in the water that kills snails put not fish, This dosnt work because when the snails die they add some sort of substance to the water that poisons it, So yere steer clear of any shelf products, And go with the Loachs.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yip, its called decomposing corpses

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Pufferfish work just as hard as loaches. We have a clown loach to deal with the bigger snails and half a dozen Malabar dwarf puffers for the little ones.

Alan

13. Xerxes

Xerxes Active Member

That is true, but one thing. Puffers are quite agressive and may start attacking other fish. Not a good choice if you have any smaller of weaker or fragile fish in your tank.
    If it's big enough (as they grow quite large) loaches are better.

Btw, I've gotten rid of my snails by catcing or killing all snails I could see (my cichlid loved them, so I fed him the snails).After a while, I did not spot any snail ever again.
    Maybe it has to do with the fact my waterplants have been in a bad condition for a while.

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You're right of course Xerxes.
    We keep the little Malabars on their own.
    Actually the best snail crunchers I know are Astatoreochromis alluaudi, medium sized cichlids from the area around Lake Victoria, they have such big teeth and jaw muscles that they can crush adult Malayan livebearing snails.

Alan

15. Richie Hell

Richie Hell Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I used a wormer called Flubenol-15, active ingriedient Flubendazole, I think.

Add the powder to your tank over a few days and weeks, and all the snails just die. Harmless to fish, but kills invertebrates.

I don't know if it still available or not, but I have Kusuri Wormer Plus at the moment, though I haven't used it on snails.

Alternatively, sterilise the plants before adding them. I dip mine for a few minutes in a weak bleach solution, then rinse them afterwards and soak them in dechlorinator. Not recommended for sensitive plants!

Anyway, this is meant to about keeping invertebrates. I've got Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches.

16. EvilKittie

EvilKittie Well-Known Member

we have a little snail in our tank and they are great! they eat left over fish food and dont eat plants!

but other than that i have giant cockroaches, sabah spiny insects, indian stick insects and African land snails (Giant)