Join our zoo community

Inverts on zootierliste?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SealPup, 16 Aug 2017.

1. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Will zootierliste feature invertebrates in the future? I imagine corals and such are prone to nonidentification or misidentification, but arthropods ought to be fine.

I am pleased they have had added the fishes a while.

2. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

I won't rule it out completely but I will say that it is very unlikely as invertebrates are so numerous and can be very hard to classify. It would be fantastic if they could do it though.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You can be quite sure they won't. Keeping the fishes up-to-date is already a nightmare, so invertebrates will be even worse and people are also less interested in them, so there is no real need to do so...

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I think it can be pretty safely ruled out, given how massive the undertaking would be for very little reward - not to mention the fact that the site has a hard enough time preventing people adding incorrect information without increasing the scope of potential misinformation a hundredfold......

5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Classification is not the problem, overall due than the number of invert species kept at zoos are quite small compared to vertebrates. Most zoos shows basically the same species of stick insects and tarantulas, butterfly houses usually have the same few species of butterflies, and similar thing happens with marine inverts. The real problem would be: most species (well, large crustaceans are an exception) are very short-lived, and the interest of general public as well as zoo staff is much littler than with larger animals, so most zoos don't keep updated their list of invertebrates or ever don't put signs to them... so if a single zoo in most cases make some gaps with them or forget them (for the mentioned reasons of short lifespan and little public interest), what a nightmare would be the conjunct of all european zoos???

6. Pycnogonid

Pycnogonid Well-Known Member

Short life spans wont be a problem if you keep breeding colonies of them. Besides, many vertebrates are also quite short lived. Tarantulas can live into their 30's