Join our zoo community

IOW August 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by alfiethetortois, 23 Aug 2014.

1. alfiethetortois

alfiethetortois Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Was visiting a friend in portsmouth and we ended up in the IOW for a day.... so naturally ended up in the zoo!

I must say, I expected little, but actually there was a fair amount of animals for a small collection. The tigers were interesting. Diamond looked adorable. Never seen white lions before and Zena, the white tiger looked to be in good health.

Animal enclosures were a decent size and keepers well informed. I understand that they don't breed from any of the tigers due to bloodlines being impure/unknown.

Also they have Meerkats, Lemurs, Porcupines, Goats, a Jaguar and a few other bits!

An interesting morning out and well worth a visit if your out that way. Will try to add some pictures.

2. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

Im Heading over to Isle of Wight next week and will be visiting, amazon world and sea view wildlife park. They are in my opinion the two best wildlife attractions on the Isle of Wight. I didn't think much of Isle of Wight zoo on the 4 times I have been over the years.

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I recommend you visit Owl and Monkey Haven too!

4. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

I visited owl and monkey haven 2 years ago and although they had lovely enclosures I was shocked at the entry price for such a small place. Probably wouldn't ho again unless they had something new.