Join our zoo community

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Sarus Crane, 30 Oct 2021.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Earlier this year I tried to get a clip on lens for my iPhone 8 but it didn't work so I had to return it and am waiting to upgrade. So I plan on upgrading my phone in December and was thinking about upgrading to the iPhone 13 Pro Max. I really like how it can perform better in low light situations. The camera's cinematic feature isn't that important to me and am planning on using it for zoo videography. I plan on getting a Sandmarc telephoto lens for it so I can obtain double the zoom (18x) than I would with just the phone's default (9x). I also plan on getting a filter for the lens so I don't have to add as much adjustment layers post-processing my footage in Premiere and eat up my RAM when editing the 4K 60fps clips. Does anyone have the iPhone 13 Pro Max and what has your experience been like with it? Does it do well filming in zoos distance-wise? I'm really excited to see how it will do with pachyderms and large ungulates in field exhibits. If I get it I plan on getting the 256 GB version.

orcalover83 likes this.
  2. E Maximus

E Maximus Well-Known Member Premium Member

One word, AMAZING. I have the 13 pro max and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Although my partner recently just got the 13 pro and has found it does the same thing as the max but is cheaper, so I might recommend that if you want to save some money just opting for its smaller cousin. But in regards to the phone itself, its amazing. The zoom on its own delivers high quality photos of animals near the back of exhibits and when I used it on the Sitatunga, Elephant and Rhino/Mixed hoof stock at Maryland zoo it did phenomenally. Cinematic works pretty well when viewing/videoing primates, the quality it produces is impeccable. I sound like I am over hyping it but I feel like the phone is a good investment, especially if you plan on getting a telephoto lens to put on it. Be warned though, 4k videos take up a lot on space on the phone itself, I opted for the 500GB option for this reason alone.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  3. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's awesome! I was planning on getting the 256 GB one with a Sandmarc case that can screw on the 2x telephoto lens. Maybe I should consider getting the 512 GB instead??? I do try to film in 4K 60fps now. Its a lot for the computer to handle. I'm also planning on getting the app Procam so I can adjust the exposure and not have to add a contrast layer in Premiere in post-production.