Join our zoo community

Howletts Wild Animal Park Is Howletts the best Zoo in the UK?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 14 Feb 2019.

1. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't yet have an opinion on Howletts as I've not had the chance to visit, but just wanted to find out more about the Bengal tiger (insert quotes if desired) captive population. I'd never thought about most Bengals being of hybrid origin - some I knew were (at Paradise Wildlife Park, for example). What is the genetic makeup like of such a population, are they being phased out for breeding, and what of white Bengal tigers - are they not genetically pure P. t. tigris? Thanks!

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

White Tigers used to be pure Indian, as that is where they originally derived from. But inclusion of Siberian tigers in white tiger breeding programmes means all white tigers nowadays are generic, and have been for many years. I don't think any pure lines of Indian white tigers exist anywhere outside of India nowadays. The same can be said for normal Indian tigers too- all 'bengal' tigers -outside of India- are(afaik) generic.

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Howletts' shortcomings make it very difficult to put in the conversation for Best Zoo in the UK, however its strengths make it a great contender for Most Enjoyable Zoo To Visit.

One thing I have always loved it for is that if someone said to me that they didn't like to see animals in cages I know a visit to Howletts would be the absolute best shot to convince them to change their mind.

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Howletts the best zoo in the UK? Not even close. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and all that, but, really, to place Howletts ahead of a whole bunch of other UK places would be, frankly, puzzling....

Really? A reasonable collection of carnivores and primates. Some ungulates. Some elephants. That's it. Nothing small, really. Nothing non-mammalian.

As opposed to those zoos which don't have such opportunities....

You may have greater skill than me, but much as I love the Howletts gorilla enclosures it is all but impossible, in my experience, to get a decent photo there.

And it is owned by someone whose pronouncements on zoos make him, for me, persona non grata: see, for example, here Howletts Wild Animal Park - Who does this man think he is?

FBBird, marmolady, Maguari and 3 others like this.
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have to agree on this, nothing wrong with a bit of wood and wire!!

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Elephantus and pipaluk like this.
  7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have been to seven zoos in the UK and Howlett's was the worst of them all. Having visited Port Lympne (which I enjoyed) on two previous trips I decided to give Howletts a try the next time. I was thoroughly disappointed and it would take a miracle to get me to ever set foot in the place again.

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Why?

9. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I've been lucky enough to visit Howletts once (whilst questioning my choice of hobby on the death-defying walk from Bekesborne station), and I do agree it is a very good zoo. I was pleasantly surprised, the place has a lovely atmosphere, it doesn't feel crowded, there are happy and healthy populations of the animals there, the gorillas are the most active and content I've seen anywhere, the African elephant herd is wonderful, and as a mammal-fan the limited scope didn't bother me (I'm also not a photographer, so the wood and wire wasn't an issue either). It was quite a relief to know that, even if I didn't see a species in one enclosure, there were plenty of other enclosures holding the same species and I was more than likely to spot them elsewhere. That being said, it's not the 'best zoo' in the UK, but it is definitely one of the most enjoyable.

Also, Ratels.

pipaluk likes this.
  10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Howletts is unquestionably the best zoo in the UK, provided that you like gorillas and African elephants much more than most other animals ;)
    I am surprised that anyone thinks that Howletts is an easy zoo for photography; I reckon that while some of the enclosures and viewpoints are good, such as the one at the end of path past the rhinos overlooking the elephant paddock; the stand-offs and mesh of most of the monkey, gibbon and small cat exhibits make it hard work to get nice images without a very long lens, and if the sun is out the best subjects always seem to be contre-jour.

marmolady and Maguari like this.
  11. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Yes but, however, there is a ‘BestZoo’ in the Netherlands :p

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes much of Howletts is horrendous for photography, which is one reason it is the least favorite of the UK zoos I have visited. To further elaborate my dislike (in reply to @FunkyGibbon ) and to perhaps start a debate that may deserve its own thread, I am a fan of natural exhibits. I realize some of those at Howletts are natural (the fishing cat area is good as I recall), but the gorilla jungle gyms that some of you love dearly are... (I erased what I started to type in the interest of civility). The debate - which goes beyond this one facility - is whether or not animal welfare in grossly unnatural surroundings is justified if it makes the animals content. Clearly some of you think so. In my mind the answer is no, and not only because it ruins my photography. A deeper reason is that I feel the role of a modern zoo is to promote conservation. If animals are happy in man-made jungle gyms, then why do we need to save the natural world? We can just string up ropes between skyscrapers in the denuded forest and the animals will be happy using them.

(This may or may not instigate a string of replies, but if I don't reply it's not because I think lowly of you or your opinion. It is because I fly to Germany tomorrow and will be offline for a week and a half. And no, I am not visiting any zoos in Germany, but will hit Zoo Zurich in Switzerland.)

Loxodonta Cobra likes this.
  13. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

I had my first visit to Port Lympne today and I have to say I was really underwhelmed.

Of the two Howletts was vastly better and it just felt everything at Port Lympne was basically a cash cow.

We done a Safari tour which was enjoyable, but not exactly value for money. We failed to see many of the animals and whilst I wouldn't say it wasn't an enjoyable day, I wouldn't say it was a great day. Photo ops were practically non existent even doing the safari tour.

We had a look online to see how much the lodges and that cost to stay in! Well blow me down with a feather ! I'm amazed to see just how busy they are how low availability there is. £1200 a night to stay in a lodge that looks out onto a Lion Exhibit, and there's no perks on top, that is just the lodge and breakfast. Some people must have serious dough.

I really liked Howletts, but Port Lympne I won't be in a hurry to return to. £2 for a can of pepsi, £4 for a portion of chips, £3 for a Sausage Roll.

The place must be making an absolute fortune.

14. pipaluk

To start with the catering prices--I have to say these are usually on a par with Howletts, which you consider the best zoo in the UK!
    Does it really matter what they charge for 'experiences',? The general admission price has always seemed fair for what's on offer.
    If you didn't see things on the safari you were just unlucky!
    I don't think Port Lympne is perfect, it's not as good as it was 10 years ago, but it really isn't that much worse than your 'best zoo in the UK'!!!!

15. Zooreviewsuk

Incorrect , I have menu's from both places, the catering fee's are significantly higher at Port Lympne.
    For example. a Pizza at Howletts was £9, the same Pizza was £12 at Port Lympne
    A Sandwich at Howletts was £4.95, inc crisps and salad, the same at Port Lympne was £6.50
    A Bacon Burger and Chips at Howletts was £6.50 same as Sausage Chips and Beans, at Port Lympne a burger and chips is £9.50, Hot Dog and Chips £9

Definitely not on a par at all.

16. pipaluk

OK, so what were the prices for the 3 things you quoted prices for Port Lympne at Howletts?

17. Zooreviewsuk

Pepsi - Cans not sold, but a bottle was £2.20 (You get more in a bottle than can) or there was regular and large draught which was £1.70 / £2.10

£2.50 portion of chips, £2 Sausage Roll.

18. pipaluk

OK, I don't think the drink difference is significant!
    Are you certain the pizzas in Howletts café are of the same standard as port Lympne? They may be frozen whereas pl advertises as a proper pizzeria! Not saying this is true, but just thought I'd ask, I have no idea ! Pl appears to be aimed at a higher market, just like Whipsnade's new posh restaurant is!

I really don't think there is a lot between the two zoos and Arizona Docent clearly thinks totally the opposite to you.

In my opinion both zoos are in my UK top 10, though not perfect, just like their owner's attitude!

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Considering the fact you were telling us a while ago that you are wealthy enough to retire over a decade early, I am amazed you find prices like that a problem :p

But in all seriousness, those prices are a pittance compared to those charged at London Zoo! :mad:

ZooBinh likes this.
  20. Zooreviewsuk

The prices don't concern me, but I would imagine it would put off most families eating there. If they concerned me I wouldn't have paid it.

For me, it feels like Port Lympne is aimed at the City folk with lots of money, and Howletts is like the family attraction.