Join our zoo community

Is this bird a whistling kite?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dt644, 29 Jul 2020.

1. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

20200728_223935.jpg 20190516_160502.jpg 1595888046824.jpg 1595942977690.jpg

As the title says, I opened this thread to hear zoochatter's opinion on whether the bird in this picture is a whistling kite(Haliastur sphenurus).

This bird is one of two birds on display in Daejeon O-World, which are classified as "black kite". One of them has the typical appearance of a black kite, but a few days ago, a Korean zoo mania suggested this bird is more like a whistle kite than black kite. And at his request, I opened this thread to hear the opinions of the zoochatters.

According to my research, there is no official black kite or whistle kite imported from Korea from other countries. That makes it possible to speculate that this bird may have been sent from a wildlife rescue center of Korea to Daejeon O-World, but no whistling kite has been found in South Korea yet. Therefore, if the bird is a real whistle kite rescued from the wild in Korea, it would be the first whistle kite found in Korea.

As I said before, I have never seen a whistling kite because there is no whistling kite in Korea. So I'll be waiting for the opinions of the zoochatters that have seen or know about whistling kite. I hope many opinions.

red river hog and Jungle Man like this.
  2. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I think that is a Whistling Kite. It's tail is long and narrow, unlike the Black Kite. Black Kite's tails also seem to have barring on them.

dt644 likes this.
  3. dt644

dt644 Well-Known Member

This video shows a bird that same one in the picture above. In the latter part of the video, you can see the inside of the wing slightly as the bird flaps its wings, I think the color of feathers at this bird's inside wings are similar to whistling kite's one.

Please check this video too, and give me your opinions. The person who requested me to ask about this bird at ZooChat needs many opinions.

red river hog likes this.
  4. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I definitely think it's a Whistling Kite

dt644 likes this.