Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Is this true?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by OrangePerson, 27 Jan 2014.

1. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In a communication from The Great Apes Survival Partnership (GRASP) it says:

Is it really true that it has "the largest collection of primates in Europe and North America"

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apenheul has around 35 primate species , Twycross 40 according to zootierliste... So they seem to be in front, althought they will probably lose some species the coming years... allthough in terms of individuals they will lose, as Apenheul has over a 100 squirrel monkeys alone...

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I was going to write something to the effect of in terms of individuals somewhere like Apenheul would have the most.

I did a count of species at Twycross from Zootierliste and got 40 species. They used to say on their website that they have the largest collection of primates outside of Japan.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2014
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Zootierliste claims that Twycross have 40 primate species, but I suspect that not everything on the list will still be at the collection.

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

As far as I can see the Zootierliste list of primates matches exactly what was on display when I last visited on January 5th this year.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2014
  6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes its true at the moment,but I expect it to be wrong before the end of the year given that a few primates are on the surplus list and if they all leave the zoo it would give them 35 tops!

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I wonder which species are involved and if any of them will be few more candidates for the Isle of Wight sanctuary. So far they've had, I think, some Javan Langurs and the Red-tailed Guenon and maybe something else I can't remember from Twycross. I guess any singles would end up there plus possibly anything else nowhere else will take.

8. TeaLovingDave

As a pure guess, I would imagine the Crowned Guenon, Lowes Guenon and Müllers Gibbon would be possible candidates for the Owl &Monkey Haven.

9. Pertinax

And maybe also as a phase-out perhaps the Roloways and/or Dianas?- they are ancient and like quite a lot of species there, no longer breeding.

10. TeaLovingDave

I suspect the Roloways and Diana might stick around a bit longer than other species, but I don't expect Twycross will keep hold of either in the long term. Diana in general is on a knife-edge in the UK I fear.

11. Pertinax

Yes, I would think the singles will be first to go. Also the IOW place would have to build more enclosures to take more, they recently gained half a dozen Barbary Macaques from Europe. I think Twycross are eminently sensible to reduce their primate numbers slightly by sifting out any no-hopers.

12. TeaLovingDave

Indeed - my thinking is that if that place loses their old Red-tailed Guenon that would leave room for another singleton.

I expect they will keep on building at a decent pace in any case, I believe they have a fair bit of undeveloped land at their disposal.

13. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Well-Known Member

Sorry Tea Loving Dave I have spoken to someone that knows and they HAVE NOT GOT any land to develop on Boardman made sure of that the land they brought off Mr Parks in Miss B & E's days is only allowed to be used as extra parking e.g. bank holiday the person I was talking to said you are talking out of your bottom.

14. TeaLovingDave

Unless Susie Boardman has somehow gone back in time and gotten involved at Owl and Monkey Haven on the Isle of Wight - which is the collection myself and Pertinax are speculating might receive some surplus animals from Twycross, as they have done so in the past - then you have entirely got the wrong end of the stick :p

Said collection on the Isle of Wight, if you actually *read* the comments above, recently completed a development for Barbary Macaques and Pertinax noted they would need to build enclosures in order to receive further animals from Twycross - hence my comment about there being space to expand.

15. zoogiraffe

The Roloway is suppose to be leaving for Mulhouse before the end of the year if what I have been told is correct!

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

to be fair it wasn't completely clear from the thread which collections were being referred to with the post about extra land (especially if not familiar with one or the other), and I can see how there could have been confusion.

17. Pertinax

TLD was not talking 'out of his bottom', he was not referring to Twycross at all, but to the Isle of Wight Monkey Sanctuary which does have undeveloped land and would (probably) need to build more enclosures to house any further Primates. Although it might have not been 100% clear, if you read the gist of the preceding posts, it seems fairly obvious which place he was talking about.

18. Pertinax

Only one now? Good news if correct. Mulhouse breed them (occasionally) so better if it could still contribute or at least live with conspecifics than living solitary in a 'sanctuary' or similar.

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, it seemed obvious enough to me!

20. zoogiraffe

They have only had 1 for atleast 12 months!