Join our zoo community

ISIS anomalies

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Geoffrey, 6 Oct 2007.

1. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

I have been looking through ISIS and have found some things that I didn't know - don't know if any of you do. Apparently there has been another dhole birth at Taronga (two males), and also it seems that Werribee has two male African Wild Asses. Just thought I'd post it and see if anyone knows anything more ...

2. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

really, new wild dogs is kool, so does that take them to 5?

also the african wild asses, when i found that i was really excited, but sadely i was told it's just a nice name for the donkies in the petting krall!

3. Geoffrey

Yes, apparently there are five (3.2.0) and that's a pity about the wild asses. If real ones they would have been good for one of their sadly depleted savannah exhibits.

4. Geoffrey

Also siamang birth at Mogo apparently (now 3.2.0).

5. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

The ISIS data is a little out of date - Taronga currently have two pairs of dhole - one of the males died some weeks ago.

6. Zoo_Boy

so the fmeale birth has been paired with? new imports?

7. Geoffrey

I think that ZooPro means that there is the original pair and two subsequent offspring (1 male, 1 female).

8. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Correct. The pair that were imported in 2006, a female born in August last year, and a male born July this year

9. Zoo_Boy

sorry, was confused he said 2 pair. i thought original, plus first offspring and new one, unrelated, cause we dont want another condor situation zoopro!

10. Geoffrey

Apparently there is also a baby bongo at WPZ (from ISIS, giving them 1.1.0) ... which means that one of the parents must have died? Anyone know what happened?

11. Zoo_Boy

often with dubbo, it's not updated very often, which is a shame. but would be kool if we had more bongo, but i belive there may have been a lot of mobments, ie monarto, adelaide

12. Geoffrey

Yes, I am realising that ISIS, while an excellent basic source, is not always reliable ... it's usually fairly up to date with Taronga and Mogo though. Incidentally, anyone know what those parrots at Mogo are?

13. Zoo_Boy

conures - just not sure what species, becky was wanting to set up a soputh america aivary, and actually were sike and moe (the 2 big males) is what is to be the SA aivary, with the macaws, conures and tamarins! but they ahve to wait to find home for thes ervals within the region

14. Geoffrey

Sounds excellent. However, while I think it would be fine for conures and tamarins, it seems a little small for macaws - could be just me. Hopefully someone knows what type of conures these two are. So if they are destined for the South American aviary, what will happen to their current exhibit space? (I'm hoping that it will be joined on to one of the adjacent tamarin exhibit as it is really to small for much else.)

Last edited: 6 Oct 2007
  15. Zoo_Boy

probably another type of bird or tamarin

it was orhginaly for the kia but it died, and since becky was a bird nut, bill and salley got some

16. Geoffrey

ISIS didn't have any conures listed (although I don't doubt that that is what they are) but did have Mogo with a pair of Green-winged Macaws! I will have to get down there and check ...

17. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Aren`t ISIS anomalies great in the U.K we`ve had one for over 10 years now in the fact that they are still listing Colchester Zoo as having an American Alligator,which left when the zoo got its Slender-snouted Crocs,i find on the whole its pretty good but certain collections just don`t update.

18. Geoffrey

I also find ISIS very useful, although I know that it occasionally throws up oddities. One thing I don't know about it is the point of those Group sections (how they don't list any males, females or births but just say "Count") - surely they could go under unknown? Incidentally, ISIS lists Werribee's lone Sable Antelope as a hybrid, but not Orana's.

19. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Groups don't necessarily mean unknown - they mean this institution isn't adding each individual of a species with a separate computer number. Instead they lump them all togetger as a single group.

Dubbo for example has groups of grey kangaroos - the sexes aren't unknown, it just means they choose not to accession each individual into the database.

20. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

The last sentence is the key part here: "certain collections just don't update". ISIS can ony report what their member institutions tell them. So if Colchester hasn't updated its records, or hasn't sent them to ISIS, ISIS can only report what was sent to them last.

It doesn't sound like you are bing critical of ISIS zoogiraffe, but I've heard plenty of others who have. ISIS just report the data that is given to them - they don't generate it. :)