Join our zoo community

ISIS?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Meilimonkey, 13 Feb 2015.

1. Meilimonkey

Meilimonkey Well-Known Member

I have been trying to use species databases, and I have heard ISIS is by far the best, but it requires a login. Is there any other requirements to be allowed access to the information on ISIS? The website doesn't really give you a straight answer.

2. Norwegian moose

Norwegian moose Well-Known Member

On a side note, good that a certain extreme terrorist organization has several names like ISIL and IS, and that ISIS is not so much used. Otherwise the zoo industry would have a serious image problem....

3. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had the same problem, you have to still login but as Norwegian Moose says ISIS have a difficult sense as there is a terrorist group called ISIS or IS, for short

4. Meilimonkey

Meilimonkey Well-Known Member

Yes, I was surprised when I first heard the name on this forums, I had to look it up for my self!
    Is there anything else required in addition to a log in? When you are redirected to the register page, it says you become apart of some "team". This might sound stupid, but I have no experience with this, so is some sort of responsibility required after you register?

5. lowland anoa

I really don't know what responsibility is required, in fact I'm going to login in now

6. lowland anoa

No, I don't want to be a member because their website says so

7. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I tried accessing the ISIS database about a year ago. From what I gathered trying to establish an account, it can only be accessed by people working at the participating institutions. There doesn't seem to be any way for a member of the general public to get an account.

8. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have heard that access to ZIMS (formerly ISIS - International Species Inventory System) is now closed to the public because a minority of zoos in the United States objected to the public knowing their species holdings. It was never a problem when ISIS was online to the public.

I think that ZIMS has over-reacted.

Birdsage likes this.
  9. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think it's strange that they don't want the information on their holdings to be public, since they are mostly public institutions (and the public can find most of the information from secondary sources anyway). But yeah, I don't see much reason for them to withhold it.

Birdsage likes this.
  10. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

to gain entrance to usa public zoos inventories you must cite the federal freedom for information act with requests for collection inventories.

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

you can request information on up to five species at a time.

Find Animals

As the ISIS community transitions to the ZIMS application, the "species holding" information is not available for public display.

To request information about how many animals of various species are held in ISIS member institutions, e-mail [email protected].

Please clearly list for which species you are seeking information in your request. Public can request once per month, of up to 5 species.