Join our zoo community

Islamabad Zoo Islamabad Zoo

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by vogelcommando, 27 Jul 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

2. J I N X

J I N X Active Member

Even though I work to improve my country's image internationally as much as I can, I firmly believe Islamabad zoo, and any other zoo in Pakistan that isn't run directly by a province's wildlife department for that matter, should be shut down. Islamabad zoo was never meant to house anything bigger than wolves and on top of that it has untrained staff. A major problem in Pakistan is that bureaucrats have a lot of influence and it is often because of this why establishments like Islamabad zoo are in the state that they are in, furthermore most zoo staff come from a forestry and agricultural background and have very basic if any knowledge at all when it comes to handling animals. Personally I don't think there is a need for a zoo in Islamabad anyways as Margalla NP, located just behind the zoo, can provide much better recreational and educational facilities to the public, which is severely in need of the latter. If anyone has any questions related to zoos in Pakistan feel free to contact me :)

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

4. J I N X

J I N X Active Member

Strongly believe Marghozar zoo should be shut down. People in charge run it like a business and obviously have no regard for animal welfare. I've seen limping muntjacs, stress pacing wolves, a completely healthy bear lose it's sanity in an enclosure not big enough for even smaller carnivore species and everything in between in this place. And the worst part is they deny everything, saying they're doing the "best they can". I remember they started a volunteer helper group a while back but refused to do anything that they advised and shut it down. And this isn't even limited to just the zoo, CDA also operates a roadside enclosure along one of Islamabad's major roads housing a herd of blackbuck. A wolf broke into this enclosure and killed at least 5 antelopes. Worst part is there's barely any awareness regarding this in the lower-middle class, which makes up the majority of zoo visitors (or a general idea of animal welfare for that regard). Hopefully the new zoo being constructed outside Islamabad proves to be better but unless it's operated directly by a wildlife department and the enclosures not designed by engineering firms that specialize in industrial infrastructure there's hardly a chance for these animals getting a better life.