Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Islands - Opening and impressions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 6 Jul 2015.

1. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

For what it's worth and studbook allowing, the zoo had two sets of tigers, so one set could've moved into Islands and the cubs remain in the existing enclosure rather than being temporarily located in Spirit of the Jaguar. As for the others, there are plenty of porcine species in the zoo already, the cassowaries are hardly a big ticket item and were overlooked (or not seen) by most visitors and the capuchins could've moved into Monkey Islands sooner, backfilling the macaque enclosure. Heck, there are even two groups of orangs.

2. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Reading back on this thread, there have been lots of balanced comments; praise and recognition for the massive undertaking and some outstanding elements, but at the same time recognition of the mistakes, lies and mismanagement. One can care about the zoo and still see the bad things as well as the good, it's how everyone progresses.
    C'mon, that's a poor attempt to hold the forum's opinion to ransom. Tim is big, old and experienced enough to decide one way or another without everybody having to become a sycophant in the process. I doubt it's something he would thank anyone for, especially as the open and frank discussions on a Walk and Talk are one of the many things we all enjoy about them.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Call it what ever way you want to,but if thats what you think it just shows that you don't know me as well as you think you do!!As the long delay for the last Walk and Talk wasn't anything to do with the Zoo or Tim,it was because I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sorting it out!But seeing as I know what discussions have taken place with Tim,over doing another walk and talk or I should say not doing one!!At the present it will be a very long time if at all ever again,and that not me trying to hold the forums views to ransom,it is just stating a very large FACT of truth of where the state of play lies at present!!

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

This bit I wholeheartedly agree with (and it is, as Adrian's posts intimate, worthwhile advice for some other threads as well). Whatever the shortcomings of the opening process, that will be over very soon. Any shortcomings of what has actually been built are much more interesting! :D

(to balance, I'm going to agree with SMR on something as well - I've only seen photos, but why on Earth is that tiger underwater viewing area not one big window?)

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just do not understand this. What was the massive mistake?

Planning Islands in the first place? Being overambitious? Being too finicky about getting things just right and delaying completion? Opening step by step instead of a 'Big Bang'?
    I have been far from uncritical of the Islands project, but I think it is most unfair to use the phrase 'massive mistake'. There have been mistakes and misjudgements, but in my view most have been minor and they have either been corrected already or are rapidly becoming irrelevant. I think we must accept that some errors are inevitable in a project of such unprecedented complexity. Of course the senior management and the different departments around the zoo must learn many lessons from the experience.
    I remember the first morning of the member's preview on July 10th. The zoo was packed with members eager to see what Islands looked like, even though we knew that we would be disappointed because so few animals would be on show in the new enclosures. Can you imagine the volume of the criticism if we were still waiting for a grand opening because the orangs have not yet been moved into the Monsoon Forest? Can you imagine the crush on the first weekend after such an opening? Can you imagine the queue for the Monsoon Forest, particularly if the weather was poor? Can you imagine the problems for the boat trip staff and the chaos at the first servings in the Street Kitchen? There were difficulties in July, but they would have been multiplied if the opening had been postponed. As I wrote before, a tighter timetable would have been better, but none of the arguments for delay in this thread convince me at all.

Alan

6. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well said Alan

Well said Alan !!!
    I'm glad there are people in the Zoo business who take risks. Many species have been saved by such people in conservation circles!
    I wish more curators & directors would have the balls to attempt a project of such complexity and magnitude (regardless of overall budget) - good on 'em!

7. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

Well said I just can't wait for it to be all ready and then the expansions start to take place which will be very exciting, I wonder what will be expanded next, Chester Zoo at the end of the day is the leading zoo in the UK and this project shows that they are at the forefront of leading Zoo's in the world! We should be very proud of what Chester Zoo has developed with Islands. Just a quick question do you think their are plays for the Sumatran Rhino as it ties into the Islands theme and it is an animal on the verge of extinction, this rhino species needs saving! Can't wait for the Orangs to be moved to Monsoon Forest, I also believe this will improve ROTRA as I find it incredibly busy and with less apes in their people be more inclined to see just the Sumatran Orangs in Monsoon Forest creating more space for people who wish to view the Borneo Orangs in a more relaxed and less crowded environment

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Simple answer - no. If Sumatran Rhino were going to come back into captivity in the West then it would likely be Cincinnati or another collection that's previously held them

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Not sure its been reported, but Monsoon rainforest has been closed the past week (upto tomorrow) for birds transfer and I think I read some building work.

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes a good number of birds have been moved across,but I believe they still have a good number to move in,but it will certainly look alot better with birds flying about,and walking round your feet!As you said there is also alot of building work going on as well,most of which has been sorting out problems that,weren't apparent when it first opened but the zoo realised needed sorting out,most of which we will probably never notice have been done,but also the reptile exhibits have pushed on a pace or 2 with the builders not having to worry about visitors in the building!

11. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw the tiger area and the other orang utan enclosure on Friday and I was very impressed.

Sometimes problems are not seen until something has been finished.

I'm looking forward now to the opening of the reptile/amphibian section, it's not as large as I expected but perhaps it will be expanded in the future.

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Lazy river boat still the most impressive thing about islands for me.

Having now seen the tiger enclosures, I am impressed. Yes the dry moated section is weird and the random viewing window next to the under water seems strange but do they distract no, yes on busy days it will get congested but always going to be an issue if the tigers are only in one spot.

Cubs were busy climbing and snapping the young trees in the enclosure today.

Outdoor orang enclosure is an improvement on RoRA, only strange thing is the seemingly random fake rock?

Outdoor hornbill aviary makes me happy as the indoor one seemed tiny, glad they have the added room.

13. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had my first visit to Chester for about six weeks yesterday. I was impressed by the progress in Islands. I like the tiger enclosure (but see below) and the big outdoor orang enclosure looks splendid, I look forward to seeing Puluh sitting in the oak tree. I spent some time watching the tigers and I was a little concerned to see Fabi pacing up and down the wire watching the boats travelling past the enclosure. Is this an unintended consequence of the design of the tiger enclosure?
    On the positive side I was able to see the rhino hornbills in their aviary in the distance, and it was nice to hear their calls adding to the lories' cries and giving an extra element to the Islands experience. Bring on the gibbons :)

Alan

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I saw ZG's photo of the Oak tree. I wonder how long it will last before they wreck it! Six or seven Orangs and one tree! Presumably the Zoo are prepared to sacrifice it to them. Obviously longterm it will still provide good climbing for them at least till they have to start pruning off all the broken or dying branches.

I think when Big Cats move into a new enclosure, however natural-looking and/or well designed it is, that they soon establish a favourite new section somewhere in it that they will still use for pacing. Rather unfortunate if it happens to be in the most prominent position.

15. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Video featuring a look at the new Tiger exhibit, empty outdoor Orang areas, another walk through Monsoon Forest (now with birds) and the Sun bears in the old Tiger exhibit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmgFUpAz_Sw

16. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you know if more birds have moved in? Also are these new species or are they just shifting birds from the existing indoor aviary?

17. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not aware of any new species moving in. Grey-winged blackbirds Turdus boulboul are supposed to be housed in Islands, but I don't know what has happened to them.

18. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks Bongorob. So the whole islands development is really just about new enclosures and virtually no new species? Isn't that kind of disappointing? :confused:

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

If I'd just built a big a big new free flight I'd let the birds I'd bred dozens of live there awhile to ensure there were no escapes, climate problems, vermin problems or suchlike before I introduced the birds I'd just imported at significant cost. I wouldn't worry.

It is mostly rehousing (though the tigers in particular were well overdue), and this has always been the plan for this development; there are new species though.

The gibbons will be, and the gharials, Tentacled Snakes and many of the other herptiles are as well (not to mention the fish and inverts). Other species, like the chattering lories, were already there but hadn't been on show for some years, and the Banteng (and the Malayan Tapirs in fact) have been there a while now but were brought in for Islands, just early! :D

20. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No.

(as explained above)