Join our zoo community

It's time to close the zoo

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Meaghan Edwards, 13 Mar 2010.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

The ARists are at it again :rolleyes: Laidlaw had issues with Toronto's old tiger dying. He was 17 years old! Has he not had a pet that died?

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/778655--it-s-time-to-close-the-zoo

2. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

wow! this article raises almost every point i have been arguing on this forum for years. here you have some intelligent people who see zoos for what they are. they are not opposed to animals in captivity - they are opposed to the way we keep them in captivity. its nice to see someone else question the connection zoos actually make with their visitors. the real contribution to endangered species. state the belief that zoos best focus on their local regional fauna and that just because you are doing a good job at preserving a local species of mouse - it doesn't give you a right to keep a whale in a swimming pool or elephant in a barn all winter.

of course this article containing well constructed views is posted with a set of rolling eyes. because like meghan edwards most of you are so obsessively in love with zoos that you will argue just as narrow mindedly as the most extreme activists that the przewalski's horse foal born last spring justifies the cold bored orangutans that live on the other side of the zoo.

i wish more people in the zoo industry actually set aside the pleasure they gain from working with their tigers, bear and elephants and actually had a think, objectively, about what they really were doing for this species - indeed this individual animal. the zoo world needs a total rethink - but so long as its populated with the same stubbornness that exists on the animal rights side of the fence. they will continue to be the same archaic old institutions, just glossed over with a bit of mock rock and a few palm trees..

3. Meaghan Edwards

I see both sides of the issue, actually, and they are going to renovate the Orangutan enclosure. As much as I love the Toronto Zoo, I do see that there are exhibits that need to be redone. I don't care for the circus type shows in Marineland (a place which I am against) and Seaworld and I am against capturing them (I wrote a very angry letter when the belugas were captured for Marineland). I even got flamed here for stating that a zoo has no place in a mall. Again, I see both sides.

I'd just like to see Laidlaw and the like put actions into words; conserve those frogs. Bashing Toronto Zoo does nothing for the Golden Frog. By protecting any number of species, a habitat (as Toronto is doing with their wetlands programs), you can protect a whole ecosystem.

4. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

In many ways I agree with both you and the article and many of the points raised are entirely valid, we often just prefer to ignore these as they cast a rather uncomfortable light on the zoos we love so much. Having said this, I think that truly excellent zoos (and, in my opinion, there are very few) can do all the things that every other zoo says they are doing. They give their animals large enclosures and have extensive enrichment programmes, they donate some of the money generated to worthwhile wildlife conservation causes and are involved in captive breeding programmes for a range of threatened species, they imaginatively enlighten guests about the wonder of the natural world and the need to protect it and, on top of that, give them a fun and cost-effective day out. Like I say, very few zoos manage all of this satisfactorily (I don't just mean keeping a herd of prewalski's horse and having a few faded name plates around the place) but whilst there are some, and the possibility of more, the animal rights brigade will never be able to say that zoos as a concept should be abolished.

5. Meaghan Edwards

Yep, and Toronto Zoo does this through a variety of programs. Wetlands conservation; frogs, toads, turtles, habitats, etc, wildlife which is in a Canadian's backyard. They've also recently reintroduced Black Footed Ferrets back into Canada. Then they have excellent ex-situ programs such as the cellphone recycling which doesn't just benefit gorillas, but all the African rainforest, and are involved in Great Lakes restoration and several research projects. There are also several enrichment plans, and old exhibits are going to be done away with. New exhibits are also being made environmentally friendly; for example, there's a green roof for the polar bears.

Some more projects:

Toronto Zoo > Conservation

There's certainly many zoos in this province that need to be shut down immediately, but IMO, Toronto, while it has it's flaws (and every zoo does), is definitely not one of them.

6. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The only real justification for preserving animal species is for our own benefit. Animals don’t care about extinction, they don’t sit around worrying about becoming extinct and they certainly don’t worry about it after they’ve gone extinct. We want to preserve species because we like the idea of them existing, it make the world we live in more interesting. I’ve heard lots of reasons for conserving animal species and they’re all flawed. To me it makes no difference if you’re keeping an animal in a zoo because it’s part of a breeding program or whether you’re keeping it just because people enjoy seeing it, both are for our benefit and it’s just as enjoyable seeing common species as it is much rarer ones.
    If animals are kept properly, with the opportunity to engage in most of their natural behaviour, I don’t think zoos need justification. However, zoos do provide an interesting and enjoyable day out for people like me and they give the animal rights people a sense of purpose in their lives.