Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Ituri Forest/Monkey Trails questions

Discussion in 'United States' started by fkalltheway, 21 Mar 2009.

1. fkalltheway

fkalltheway Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't made it out to San Diego yet but I'd love to get out there at some point. I'm interested to know in the mixed species exhibits in both the Ituri Forest and Monkey Trails exhibits out there, specifically which duiker species there are and which species of primates are housed together. Information about birds in the aviaries would be awesome! Maybe some of the more local people can help me out.

2. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

As for the primates: I dont remember who was housed with who but the primate species list for Monkey Trails is Lesser Spot Nosed Guenon, Mandrill, Black Mangabey, Golden Bellied Mangabey, and Wolf's Guenon. There are also Allen's Swamp Monkeys in Ituri Forest.

As for the Duikers: Only Red Flanked Duikers are housed with Wolf's Guenons and another primate species.

I can post a complete Avian Species List tomorrow for Monkey Trails and Ituri Forest.

3. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

As for the Duikers: Only Red Flanked Duikers are housed with Wolf's Guenons and another primate species.

Don't forget the pygmy hippos that share this interesting exhibit! I don't think there's another primate there though

4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've heard the duikers are no longer in there.

I don't know the mixes for Monkey Trails but here is a species list (including Flamingo Lagoon)
    lesser spot-nosed guenon
    Wolf's guenon
    L'Hoest's guenon
    mandrill
    black mangabey
    golden-bellied mangabey
    eastern Angolan colobus monkey
    pygmy hippopotamus
    Bornean bearded pig
    Visayan warty pig
    clouded leopard
    White-faced Whistling Duck
    Bronze-winged Duck
    Crested Screamer
    Mallard
    Ringed Teal
    Caribbean Flamingo
    North American Wood Duck
    Northern Bahama Pintail
    Chiloe Wigeon
    Scarlet Ibis
    Variable Sunbird
    Blue-naped Mousebird
    Sociable Weaver
    Amethyst Starling
    Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird
    Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse
    Egyptian plover
    Paradise wydah
    African Namaqua Dove
    Green-winged Pytilia
    Bronze Mannikin
    Red-headed Finch
    Bali Mynah
    Palawan Peacock-pheasant
    West African Dwarf Crocodile
    East African Black Mud Turtle
    Giant Leaf-tailed Gecko
    Madagascar Giant Day Gecko
    Puff Adder
    Twig Snake
    Gaboon Viper
    Speckled Green Snake
    African Tiger Snake
    Big-eyed Tree Frog
    Marbled Reed Frog
    Madagascan Tree Boa
    Angolan Python
    African Leopard Tortoise
    Armadillo Girdled Lizard
    Parrot-beaked Tortoise
    Schneider Skink
    Boulengers Scrub Lizard
    Red-headed Rock Agama
    Yellow-throated Plated Lizard
    Pancake Tortoise
    Rainbow Skink
    African Girdled Lizard
    Gorongosa Girdled Lizard
    African Slender-snouted Crocodile

Ituri Forest species list:

Okapi

Hippopotamus

(these next 5 share an exhibit)
    Western Forest Hog
    Forest Buffalo
    African Spot-necked Otter
    Red River Hog
    Allen's Swamp Monkey
    (One aviary for all birds)
    Emerald Starling
    Senegal Gonolek
    Oriole Warbler

Schmidt's Spot-nosed Guenon and spot-necked otters

5. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

When I visited in 2006, shortly after Monkey Trails opened, there were both blue and red-flanked duikers in the pygmy hippo/Wolf's guenon exhibit. Not sure of the present status, but I know the guenons (specifically the youngsters) would pester the antelope a bit.

6. fkalltheway

Thanks for all of the feedback! I like to design exhibits for fun and I'm currently working on an African Rainforest exhibit.

Does anyone know if any of the reptiles mentioned above are mixed together, or are they just all small jewel-box type exhibits?

If anybody knows other African mixed species exhibits at the zoo and/or wild animal park, any info would be appreciated. I'm most interested in unique mammal mixes (i.e. primates/duiker/hippo), birds, and reptiles.

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The dwarf crocs and mud turtles share an exhibit I know for sure. I'm sure there are some lizard/tortoise mixes too but I'm not sure which ones. I think you will find your hobby to be quite a common one amongst this group.

8. Buckeye092

The buffalo, swamp monkey, guenon, and otter exhibit is the most unique African Rainforest mixed exhibit. But you said "any other African mixed species exhibits." If you meant only Rainforest the combo above is about as crazy as zoos get. Bronx has River Hogs, Mandrills, and a third Primate species and some European zoos have tried Pygmy Hippo combos with Primates and Birds. However if you mean Africa in general there are hundreds of ungulate, bird, and reptile combinations from the Savannah and the Sahara.

9. reduakari

Omaha combines Blue Monkeys, Talapoins, some duiker species and giant (and I mean GIANT) softshelled turtles in one exhibit. It is not nearly as successful as the San Diego or Bronx exhibits noted in these posts (i.e. it's ugly), but kind of interesting nevertheless.

10. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wild Animal Park has bat-eared foxes and warthogs together, on trail between okapis and cheetahs (or at least they did last year). If you ever make it to Tucson, Reid Park Zoo has crested porcupines and mandrills together.

11. Buckeye092

Crested Porcupines and Mandrills is the weirdest combo I have ever heard of! You not only cross taxonomies but biomes as well!

12. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Debrazza Monkeys, I believe.

13. fkalltheway

Pretty much any habitat type goes for what I was talking about, just at the moment I'm working on an African Rainforest. I said "unique mammal mixes" because I'm aware of giraffe/zebra/ostrich or antelope/crane mixes, I'm just looking for different ones.

The third primate species in that exhibit is DeBrazza's Guenon. I was a little surprised that there was nothing mixed with the Colobus Monkeys at the Bronx. Has anyone heard of mixed exhibits with these guys?

14. reduakari

For a brief time, Brush-tailed porcupines were exhibited with the Colobus at Bronx Congo. No longer the case--don't know why (maybe no one ever saw the nocturnal porkies)

At Lincoln Park, colobus are exhibited with Diana Monkeys, I believe.

15. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sedgwick County Zoo has the Debrazza's monkey and Black-and-white colobus monkey mix in the Gorilla Forest Exhibit. Chicago Brookfield's Tropic World has the Mandrill with the pygmy hippo exhibit. Omaha's new gorilla building has the Diana monkey mix with colobus monkeys. In terms of design of the rainforest with mixed species, I would say the Bronx zoo's congo forest's red river hog exhibit would be the best. Oh, I forgot, their gibbons in Jungleworld is free ranging between the tapir exhibit and formerly garial exhibit. Kind of cool. I have no seen their Madagascar yet, but I bet it would be very nice.

16. Buckeye092

Some European zoos have experimented with Colobus and Gorillas. In Detroit, Gorillas are also housed with Mandrills, Drills, and a few other primates (DeBrazza's and Mona's)? Colobus are fairly compatible with anything as long as they are compatible with other members of their group.

17. fkalltheway

Their Madagascar exhibit is really nice, although not many mixed species exhibits in there. I am a huge fan of island endemics, and this exhibit definitely fills that craving of mine. It is very well done and showcases the different environments on Madagascar.

Of the few mixed species exhibits there, the large Spiny Forest gallery supposedly contains Ring-tailed Lemurs, Collared Lemurs, Radiated Tortoise, Gray-headed Lovebird, Madagascar Red Fody, although when I went the birds were not in this exhibit and the tortoises were nowhere to be seen. I asked about the birds and they said they had been temporarily removed from the exhibit. Other mixed exhibits include Nile Crocs with various Cichlids, various Mantella frogs, Madagascar Day Geckos with Tomato Frogs, and smaller Radiated Tortoise, Spider Tortoise, Madagascar Plated Lizards, and I believe Madagascar Iguana (its another type of lizard, if not those).

18. reduakari

In its early years, the central exhibit in Bronx Jungleworld contained tapirs, gibbons, gharials, batagurs, Fly River turtles, giant Indian squirrels, Prevost's squirrels, Great hornbills, Green peafowl, Indian fruit bats and numerous smaller bird species. It is greatly impoverished today in comparison. But still as good a piece of artificial rainforest as any in the world.

19. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

On my last visit to Detroit a few years back they had Lowland Gorillas, Diana Monkey, Mandrill, and Klipspringer mixed.

20. Buckeye092

They phased out the klipspringers and have since added Drills.

Oh, and the chimps are in that exhibit as well.