Join our zoo community

ITV 3 part series; London Zoo

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Pertinax, 10 Nov 2010.

1. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I thought that the demonstration had 'touches of the circus' rather than was like a circus. I do understand why the training is necessary. But lying underneath an elephant - a bit OTT (or perhaps underTT)?

2. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

That's nothing, Miss Brenda on Sir Robert Fossett's Circus would lie underneath lead elephant Dum Dum after being carried around the ring by her and her friend Sara in their trunks , and later hang by a leg held firmly in the mouth of the elephant, all this after appearing in the shows "My Fair Lady" high school horse presentation as Eliza Doolittle,

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know they have come under some critisism on here in the past for their 'boot camp' style of training, but I guess to have free contact you must be absolutely in control of your elephants. I think it is perhaps very risky but the plus side is it does allow the Elephants a more varied lifestyle-at Whipsnade their day is pretty varied and active. As for lying under the Elephant, I guess they just like to show off a bit- I just hope it doesn't squash him one day though...:(

4. Pertinax

Komodo Dragons- I did wonder if the female was really gravid as surely if she laid and buried eggs (even if it was at night) there would be some sign of activity/digging where she had deposited them, and eggs to find if they had been laid.

5. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

I thought so too. Given how hard they were having to hack through the compacted earth to explore, I thought it was improbable that there were actually eggs buried there.

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

We were all thinking the same things! And why not put a camera up to record any egg laying? Easier than digging up the exhibit.

7. Pertinax

It could well have been done to give the Komodo story an ending if it had no other outcome!

8. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Did anyone spot the enclosure plan on the wall during the pre-Dublin visit gorilla team meeting? I couldn't tell what it was.

9. Roz

Roz Well-Known Member

I noticed that too, looked like it had a fairly large pool in the middle :confused:

10. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I dunno if that was a general conference room, or just something on the gorilla section. If anybody does know, maybe that would narrow it down?

Also, having studied A-Level Media Studies, that rainbow over the Indian rhino calf was no accident :p

11. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

It reminded me of the hippo exhibit plan that was in the entrance site on the 2007 masterplan (see the developments thread). Course they need to build the new entrance for that to happen, so I dunno. :p

Otherwise a brilliant episode and a fitting conclusion to a very interesting series, loved the footnote of Mjukuu's baby at the end. :)

12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Agreed Zambar, brilliant episode, my highlight was seeing the screening around the gorilla enclosure at Dublin, this enclosure as we all know is not ideal, but surely enhanced by some imaginative screening on the glass, leaving the gorillas perhaps feeling a little less exposed.

13. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

See attached as point of reference. Presumably "Corrall?" is a spelling error.

Attached Files:

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

whiteboardgate part 2 ;)

15. Javan Rhino

Could it be the new penguin development (or a newer or older version?). I can see the word 'Macaroni's' on the whiteboard, and I seem to remember in the other thread a mention of this being one of the new penguin species coming to London (well, in the plans anyway).

16. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The attached capture is a 1920×1080 frame, so unless your viewport is that size the ZooChat interface will downsize the image. In which case the text reads:

Location of filter plant
    Corrall? (sic)
    Feeding area
    VIP area
    Isolation / weaning
    Hand-rearing facility
    Planting
    Macaroni's (sic)

They're not so hot on their spelling or punctuation at ZSL these days... but then, they probably didn't count on a bunch of ZooChatters examining their white boards.

17. Javan Rhino

Obviously never spoken to Tim then ;p. A man who knows, we will try and analyse everything :D

18. zoospaper

zoospaper New Member

This is a version of the penguin pool on the whiteboard, but it is not current. The room is a general animal management meeting room. Whiteboard gate...solved!

19. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Ooh, there's a whiteboard in episode 1 where I remember catching 'Binturong' written on it. Any chance of a screencap so we can spot the dodos and pandas written on it? ;)

20. Geckogirl2011

Geckogirl2011 New Member

As far as i know, the king vulture parents make calls to the egg to prompt it to hatch which is why its not as simple as removing the egg and replacing it with a dummy. The Komodo eggs also have to be dug up because adult komodo dragons are well known for eating their young. They are also arboreal when they are juveniles for this precise reason, meaning that if they were to hatch on exhibit they may prove difficult to find as they'd all be up trees, if they are not eaten by the parents first.