Join our zoo community

IUCN 25 Most Endangered Primates : greater and lesser apes (poll).

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 2 Mar 2021.

?

Which species will you vote for ?

Poll closed 12 Mar 2021.
  1. Western chimpanzee

7.7%
  2. Tapanui orangutang

38.5%
  3. Gaoligong hoolock gibbon

53.8%
  1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

This is the last installment in a series of polls based on the IUCN 25 Most Endangered Primates.

This time featuring the greater and lesser ape species (and subspecies in the case of the chimp) mentioned in the document which will go head to head.

Zoochatters can vote based on the primate species / subspecies whose conservation they would like to see prioritized, that they consider to be their favourite, whose plight moves them most, or that interests them.

A discussion on these species and the conservation of endangered primate species / subspecies in general is something I would like to encourage in the comment section too.

Which species / subspecies will you vote for and why?

*For those curious about finding more about this IUCN report and the lesser and greater ape species that are featured in the document it can be read in the link posted here: https://www.globalwildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Primates-in-Peril-2018-2020.pdf

Last edited: 2 Mar 2021
  2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Although I arent a huge star war fan, I do think naming a gibbon after a star war character is cool.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I feel exactly the same, was never into Star Wars but the name is awesome :D

4. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I too voted for Skywalker Hoolock gibbon not entirely because of its name, But because of its native range, and I feel would be a big loss to the ecosystem in Yunnan, they have a lot of cool species there.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for voting Luke !

Totally agree, the tropical forests of Yunan would certainly be the poorer without the cries and antics of the Skywalker Hoolock gibbon.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

The "skywalker" gibbon won the final contest !

Here is a video of this amazing lesser ape to celebrate its victory in the poll:

Thanks to everyone who has voted and commented in these IUCN 25 Most Endangered Primates polls !