Join our zoo community

IUCN 25 Most Endangered Primates : New World Monkeys (poll).

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 31 Dec 2020.

?

which species will you vote for ?

Poll closed 7 Jan 2021.
  1. Central American spider monkey

50.0%
  2. Brown howler monkey

12.5%
  3. Ecuadorian white-fronted capuchin monkey

25.0%
  4. Olalla brothers' titi monkey

12.5%
  1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

This is the sixth installment (only one more to go after this) in a series of polls based on the IUCN 25 Most Endangered Primates.

This time featuring the larger New World monkeys mentioned in the document which will go head to head in this poll.

Zoochatters can vote based on the primate species whose conservation they would like to see prioritized, that they consider to be their favourite, whose plight moves them most, or that interests them.

A discussion on these species and the conservation of endangered primate species in general is something I would like to encourage in the comment section too.

Which species will you vote for and why?

*For those curious about finding more about this IUCN report and the New World monkey species that are featured in the document it can be read in the link posted here: https://www.globalwildlife.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Primates-in-Peril-2018-2020.pdf

Last edited: 31 Dec 2020
  2. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I'm very fond of the Olalla brothers Titi name for a side note, but that's not really important so whatever. Just thought I had to say that.
    I think the Ecuadorian Capuchin gets my vote, because of Its beautiful appearance, (More human-like than the Other Capuchin species in my opinion) and because of their ecological importance of seed dispersal in where they live, thus being a key to the Forests survival.
    And that's not saying that I feel like the other species aren't important, but since this is the most endangered out of the bunch the ecological role here is taken into consideration into my Noggin, and that's why I voted for this species.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for the vote and the comment @CheeseChameleon2007!

Capuchins are really fascinating primates and so incredibly intelligent too.

Well I have to say that all of these primate species are seed dispersers and key to the survival of the different neotropical rainforest ecosystems that they inhabit but yes you are right that this particular capuchin performs this role within the dry forests.

Yes, it is indeed a very threatened primate that is very true. Unfortunately there are many more capuchin species in similar situations (but most thankfully not as dire as the Ecuadorean species) around the Americas.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  4. CheeseChameleon1945

Oh I'm aware of the other species being good seed dispersers, most primates do this in fact, but you can't physically choose all four! ;)

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

True and that would defeat the purpose of this poll anyway as I want people to choose one species in particular based on their own subjective criteria.

On the subject of seed dispersal I would say that the spider monkey would probably be the most efficient in this ecological role as the Ateles are really the biggest frugivores of the New world primates and they do typically range over much larger territories.

6. CheeseChameleon1945

Very true, and the Brown spider monkey (which isn't on this list) is very great at doing this, with almost all of their diets being rich fruits, so its also an important species on which where it lives, but the Capuchin has a much smaller range therefore more valuable of a species in the dry forest.

So you have quite factual and valid claims compared to mine, but I would say that since the Capuchin lives in a more limited range it can help its own Ecuadorian forest the most without the other Spider monkeys in play to help it keep the forest intact.

At least I don't think, I wasn't aware of Spider monkeys in Ecuador but I'm not so sure about that.

7. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

I voted for the Central American Spider Monkey. One of the reasons I picked them is because I love how graceful and cute they are. The other reason I got to see them in the wild which was amazing.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your vote and comment @Mai Thai !

That is awesome ! Where did you see this species in the wild ?

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, but thats the thing with this poll, everyone can vote for a species as they wish based on their own personal criteria.

There are no wrong or right answers in this, so your vote for the capuchin is not at all wrong, it is just your vote.

What I'm trying to say is it doesn't really matter if the spider monkey has the biggest ecological impact through its seed dispersal of these species as the poll is just about what species engages people the most.

10. CheeseChameleon1945

I thought it was about the Species that should be most Prioritized in conservation, Not just a specific liking to.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well, there are multiple ways of voting and people are free to vote for a species on whatever personal criteria they want.

So if someone feels that they would like to vote for a species based on them finding it more charismatic or because they have seen it in the flesh in the wild or a zoo that is fine.

Similarly if someone feels strongly about a species and that it should be prioritized more in in-situ and / or ex-situ conservation that is also absolutely fine.

12. CheeseChameleon1945

That makes plenty of sense, thank you.
    I want to do a spot of birding on this day off so I'm gonna go.

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Enjoy the birding, hope you see some interesting species !

14. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

I saw them in Costa Rica. Sorry I can not remember the exact location.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thats brilliant ! I bet they were fun to watch right ?

Spider monkeys are very engaging primates indeed.

Mai Thai and CheeseChameleon1945 like this.
  16. CheeseChameleon1945

Oh I saw some cool species, a Pileated woodpecker for one, but I never managed to get any good photos because my camera is bad at focusing on anything that moves, which is sort of annoying, but whatever, It was a cool bird and I hope to get better pictures of it if I see one again soon.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

So it appears that the spider monkey is currently in the lead as far as votes go.

I've shifted my vote to the brown howler monkey as I and my colleagues have seen some of the decline of this species to yellow fever here in Brazil and it is really quite alarming and not nearly enough is being done about this.

However, of the two species I am far more fond of the spider monkey hence my original vote.

CheeseChameleon1945 and Mai Thai like this.
  18. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Looks like the Central American spider won this one.

Here is a video from Mongabay of the species to celebrate its victory in this poll.

19. CheeseChameleon1945

Is there a poll that I missed? (Just wondering).

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

The last poll was on the Callitrichids that appeared on the "IUCN 25 most endangered primates" list.

It was a contest between the buffy tufted marmoset and the pied tamarin and the result was that aurita won by a few points :) though I hoped that the turn out would have been better than it was.

The next poll will be the final one and will feature the great apes and lesser apes in the list.