Join our zoo community

IZES - Zoo Grapevine Magazine

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by snowleopard, 12 Nov 2012.

1. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jurek7, thank you for a calm contribution, to which I would like to respond.
    Zooquaria is the magazine of a large, international organisation (EAZA) which can support the lack of revenue-generation caused by free online availability.
    Zoo Grapevine is created by a small team of people who put their own time (and money, in Tim's case) into creating a quarterly magazine to the highest standards we can meet. Nobody is obliged to like it; it is our labour of love and our independent contribution to the wonderful world of zoos and aquariums.
    Nevertheless, I think there are things that can be done, when our limited resources allow it. For example, some issues of the magazine have now sold out - so putting their content online would be worthwhile. Indeed, there is much I would like to do...if only I had Zooquaria's resources and staff.

Arek, TinoPup, Gavialis and 4 others like this.
  2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Once again, take it or leave it. So I will leave it thanks.

3. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well this can go on and on and around and around can`t it?"Hostility" to a pdf is perhaps a little strong, but the fact remains that we dont want to do it and probably dont have the time and energy to maintain another format. Its rather like saying that a vinyl-only record label owner(and I am one) has an obligation to offer downloads...you wont be surprised to learn that I don`t offer them. Perhaps a Luddite as you suggest,but its the way it is im afraid. I`m genuinely sorry that you no longer want to support us, but this has to be my last word on this subject I`m afraid.

Gavialis, FBBird, pipaluk and 2 others like this.
  4. Shirokuma

I have nothing more to add.

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just a question - is it legal to scan zoo grapevine and save for yourself as a pdf,? As long as you don't share it with anyone else or publish it, who would know anyway?
    For the record I'm in the luddite camp, I don't like reading things off a screen!

Gavialis, Brum and FBBird like this.
  6. Shirokuma

For the record, ideally neither do I. I don’t think preferring the printed page makes you a Luddite. I do however think hostility to even considering providing such an alternative verges on it.

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Given the fact that one of the factors mentioned by Tim and Mike is a lack of the time, money and manpower which such an undertaking would require - and which precludes even those aspects which they *do* express a desire to provide:

....I think you are perhaps being a shade unfair to them? It's hardly "arrogant" or "hostile" for them to rule out something rendered infeasible by the available resources, after all.

In any event, I suspect very few of the IZES membership are in the position of having moved residence across international borders multiple times at the height of a global pandemic, so your personal situation in question is quite possibly unique; as such you'd probably be best off unsubscribing anyhow, and collecting back issues retrospectively some way down the line :)

As regards the query by @pipaluk - I've always found Mike and Tim accommodating where being sent scans or PDFs of specific back-issue articles on request are concerned.

8. Shirokuma

Even when I lived in London I had 13 addresses in 15 years which I can assure you is not at all unusual.

And I’m not sure what your ‘height of a global pandemic’ comment is getting at.

9. TeaLovingDave

My point is that given current circumstances there probably aren't all that many IZES members moving several times and currently splitting their possessions across multiple countries, and therefore the issue will be unusually pronounced in your case - meaning that discontinuing your membership until things settled would possibly be the best course of action anyhow, regardless of your anger/frustration borne of this thread :)

10. Shirokuma

And if you read what I said previously, the current situation has nothing to do with my possessions being split up. They have been split up for the best part of a decade due to chronic precarious housing situations. And that it isn't unusual in London even if it isn't the norm for the average IZES member.

11. TeaLovingDave

Yeah, my point is that things will be a lot worse than usual at present, as it's harder for you to get between locations across countries to retrieve any given item :) in other words I was empathising with your situation.

Shirokuma likes this.
  12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looking forward to next issue, that English Midlands article really appeals to me for some reason... ;):p

TNT, pipaluk and snowleopard like this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

Cheeky bastard :p

14. Brum

Nothing wrong with a bit of self-promotion! :p:D

TNT, pipaluk and snowleopard like this.
  15. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Good news! My college, which canceled its subscription, put away the magazines they had. When I asked the library about the magazines I was able to get them. It may only be issues 42-53 but it is something.

TNT, Brum and snowleopard like this.
  16. pipaluk

I got my copy today, excellent article on zoos of the UK Midlands!!

Brum likes this.
  17. Brum

Still waiting on my copy, I'll give you my opinion when it gets here... :p

snowleopard likes this.
  18. pipaluk

That will be interesting....

Brum likes this.
  19. TeaLovingDave

My copy arrived today too.

Given the eloquent and coherent vocabulary found within the article, I think the author must have been uncharacteristically sober during the writing process :p

TNT, snowleopard, MagpieGoose and 2 others like this.
  20. Brum

My copy arrived today, got to be said that the author's views are identical to mine! :p

Not even a single reference to alcohol, and considering WILD! has a very nice restaurant and farm shop with a great selection of ales situated next door then that's even more impressive! ;)

TNT, pipaluk and twilighter like this.