Join our zoo community

"Jackal" family spotted in a nature reserve in China

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Haliaeetus, 2 Oct 2023.

1. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I submit you a footage of a canid family that has been spotted and filmed in a Chinese reserve in Yunnan.
    Jackal family spotted in nature reserve in China's Yunnan
    They have been labelled as "Jackals" but for me they look more like Dholes (I presume that there have been an error of translation between these 2 species) with their general look and their reddish coat, without grey on the back.
    A footage of Dholes would also be more significant in terms of conservation, as this species is EN in the wild, while the Golden Jackal (only Jackal species to live in Asia) is LC and is expanding its range at least in Europe.
    Do you agree with my impression ?

Osedax, Dassie rat and Bactrian Deer like this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Yeah, that looks like a dhole to me.

Osedax, Dassie rat and Haliaeetus like this.
  3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely dholes. Per wikipedia, "the Chinese word for dhole (豺; Chái) is often confused with 'jackal' or 'wolf', resulting in many confusions and mistranslations of dholes as jackals or wolves."

SwampDonkey, Osedax and Haliaeetus like this.
  4. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

Thanks for this explanation about Chinese language (that I definitely don't know).

TinoPup likes this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I didn't either! I just knew that several of the larger canids have a variety of wolf/dog/etc names beyond their main name, so went looking too see if that was the case for dholes.