Join our zoo community

Jackson Zoo Jackson Zoo news

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 27 Oct 2010.

1. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Jackson Zoo now has a 3-year license (via the USDA) to exhibit animals, which allows the zoo to remain open. The company ZoOceanarium is no longer an option to manage the zoo and so it looks as if funding is still desperately required.

Jackson Zoo gets new lease on life

Smaggledagle and StoppableSan like this.
  3. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other News from 2021:

On April 22nd, it was reported that the company known as ZoOceanarium Group has parted ways with the city of Jackson over operating the Jackson Zoo. The parting of ways could be a result of a council member's question about not seeking accreditation from the AZA, as well as a few other council members being hostile to the fact that the zoo would be managed by a "well-experienced third party team", however, this is just speculation.

Company Exits from Jackson Zoo Management Contract Talks

On April 26th, it was reported that the city council of Jackson Mississippi is starting conversations on whether or not the zoo should be moved from its historical place in West Jackson.

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/04/26/council-members-mum-whether-jackson-zoo-should-be-moved/

On May 11th, the zoo announced that they have reopened their Backyard Creatures building to the public.

On May 13th, it was reported that the zoo's workforce was made up of contractors, although that is expected to end by late May as the city is looking to hire the contractors full-time. It was also reported that the city is working on road improvements and demolishing abandoned buildings near and around the zoo.

Jackson Zoo's future is in hands of city after failed negotiations

On June 3rd, the zoo announced they have rehabilitated and released a (0.0.1) eagle (species not specified) back into the wild.

The Jackson Zoo - #WhatYourZooCanDo Not only do we care...

On June 25th, the zoo announced they have opened up their splash pad to the public for the first time since the pandemic.

On July 22nd, the zoo announced that a (1.0) Amur leopard named Nikolai has passed away due to old age.

On August 4th, it was reported that the city of Jackson approved over $120,000 to the zoo for upgrading.

Jackson leaders approve $120,000 to help the city's zoo

On October 15th, it was reported that through an open records request, it was revealed that their red river hogs were confined to their night house for seven months while their exhibit was being renovated. There was an escape of three red river hogs from the zoo in the summer of 2020, where 2 of them were captured almost immediately while one had eluded the zookeepers for several days. As well, the hog that escaped for several days got attacked by the zoo's other hogs, resulting in multiple injuries. Several other incidents occurred which led to injuries of other hogs. In the report, there were also several issues with the food storage area, such as how the walk-in freezer wasn't working and rodents have gotten into several bags of animal feed.

It was also reported that the city has spent $300,000 on repairs/renovations to the zoo over the last year and a half, including building/repairing fences from the perimeter, replacing rotten boards on the boardwalk, painting 25-27 buildings, as well as repainting the colobus monkey exhibit, and adding a drainage system in the red river hog exhibit.

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/10/15/red...-injuries-after-being-left-enclosures-months/

On November 11th, it was reported that the zoo was marked as one of the Top 10 Most Endangered Places by the State of Mississippi in 2021. It was also reported that the zoo has since started working on getting accreditation with the AZA.

Jackson Zoo Now ‘Endangered,’ Opening Funding Opportunities for Beleaguered Facility

On December 21st, it was reported that starting on January 4th, 2022, the zoo will be selling admission for $2.

Jackson Zoo selling $2 tickets in new year

On December 29th, it was reported that after stating hours earlier that the zoo would be closed from the 29th to January 6th, 2022, the zoo backtracked and stated they would be open for a limited amount of hours.

https://www.wlbt.com/2021/12/29/jackson-zoo-closed-due-mayors-executive-order/

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  4. Smaggledagle

2022 News:

On February 10th, the zoo announced they have received enough money to start repairing the chimpanzee exhibit.

On March 4th, the zoo announced they have moved (0.0.2+?) black-necked swans to the exhibit adjacent to the flamingo pond.

On April 27th, the zoo announced they have closed the American beaver exhibit as they were cleaning the pool.

On May 4th, it was reported that the zoo will receive $60,296 from a late attorney who passed away in 2017. The city council decided to accept the funds on April 27th.

Late Jackson Attorney Leaves $60,000 to Zoo As Visitors Increase

On May 7th, the zoo announced they have reperched the colobus monkey/Schmidt’s guenon exhibit.

On the zoo's website under the new exhibit section, they have plans for a new lorikeet aviary, however, right now it's in the pre-production phase.

Planning A New Exhibit! – Jackson Zoo

TinoPup likes this.
  5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

Re-joining the AZA seems....optimistic given the issues shown, particularly the financial issues which the AZA has been more strict on over the last few years.

TinoPup and StoppableSan like this.
  6. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The hog issues were detailed in USDA inspections and were awful. It's going to take them a lot of work, and a lot of training, to get to a place where AZA is possible again, both from an animal welfare standpoint and a financial/upper management one.

7. Smaggledagle

8. SwampDonkey

Do they still hold red panda or did they loose them when they gave up the AZA accreditation? It is a strange animal to loose as they are crowd pleasers and fairly common in non-AZA zoos.

9. TinoPup

There's only a couple of non-AZA zoos that have the species, and all but two of those were recently AZA.

10. SwampDonkey

Interesting, I was under a different impression. I guess what is "recently AZA" would matter as Pittsburgh and Mill Mountain were over 5 years now, which is pretty "recent" but in animal time that is a bit of time elapsed. Here are the places I know of that are ZAA and not AZA and have them:
    Brights
    Columbus (soon to be dual AZA/ZAA)
    Dakota Zoo
    Erie Zoo (non-ZAA or AZA)
    Hemker Park
    Mill Mountain
    Pittsburgh
    Safari Niagara

But that still does not really answer the question if Jackson has them and if not why/when/where they may have gone.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. TinoPup

Dakota Zoo is AZA. Erie was also AZA until a year ago. I'd consider Pitt and Mill Mtn recent as well, given they could be the same animals from when they were AZA.

SwampDonkey and StoppableSan like this.
  12. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Smaggledagle likes this.
  13. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Smaggledagle likes this.
  14. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Damn I just saw him a couple weeks back. Jackson was quite a fascinating zoo that I visited. Clearly lacking funding (and not just the zoo) it was a weird mix of very outdated enclosures to some of the best I've seen for certain species. I would be surprised if they got more giraffe considering that enclosure was one of the most outdated parts of the facility.

15. Smaggledagle

Hmm? I'm interested to know what exhibits were the best you seen for certain species?

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

Easily the best pygmy hippo enclosure I've seen (having seen over 25 exhibits, including 5 on this trip alone).

That section of the zoo surprised me in general. Not the best chimp exhibit I've seen but would put it in my top 10-15. The guenon exhibits were also nice and, though simple, the red wolves had a large wooded exhibit.

The "North American" section (otters, beaver, puma) was also a major upgrade compared to the rest of the zoo.

The rest of the zoo, well........

SwampDonkey and Smaggledagle like this.
  17. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited Jackson Zoo in 2012 and here are images of the excellent Pygmy Hippo exhibit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The worst exhibit at the zoo was this atrocity for a couple of White-handed Gibbons:

[​IMG]

SwampDonkey and Zoofan15 like this.
  18. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

I don't remember that enclosure. They are next to the fishing cats in a basic but definitely improved area

19. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Pygmy Hippo enclosure has to be one of the best and most naturalistic I’ve ever seen.

The Gibbon enclosure on the other hand...

20. Smaggledagle

Honestly if you told me that the exhibit was for raccoons i would be like that looks amazing (budget wise) but its not lol.