Join our zoo community

Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens Jacksonville Zoo News 2023

Discussion in 'United States' started by SusScrofa, 9 Jan 2023.

1. SusScrofa

SusScrofa Well-Known Member

2. SusScrofa

ifesbob, SwampDonkey and Smaggledagle like this.
  3. Elena

Elena Well-Known Member

Last edited: 17 Feb 2023
  4. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

For the second time ever at the Zoo, a Coquerel's sifaka was born!
    The parents are Aemilia and Gulliver, currently the zoo has 4 sifaka's including the one year old Emmett.

Source:
    Instagram of Jacksonville Zoo (01/03/2023)

5. SusScrofa

6. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I noticed on Google Maps photos recently as of February that the zoo's bull elephant Ali has no visible tusks anymore. Last time I saw him in 2021 he had only his left tusk. Did he damage it and it broke off or was it surgically removed??? Also I see that Masked Lapwings are now in the Emerald Forest aviary and the zoo still has the Racket-Tailed Roller in the Australia aviary.

7. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

From what I remember, during one of the times that I previously volunteered. I too had a similar question regarding Ali’s tusk. According to what a staff member said, they told me that during his musth period, Ali was apparently messing around with some tire enrichment in which, while doing so, his tusk somehow managed to crack off due to his roughhousing. With the zoo’s vets surgically removing what was left of the tusk not too long afterward.

As for the lapwings, they must have been added into the aviary sometime last year. Since I did manage to see (and photograph them), during my second-to-last visit back in December.

iluvwhales and Sarus Crane like this.
  8. Sarus Crane

Ali looks like he just keeps growing! When I saw him closeup in February 2020 for his 30th birthday he appeared bigger than he did in 2014. I remembered finding the media kit for his tusk surgery in 2019 which went well. Catching Ali on exhibit is always a struggle. Sheena & Thandi always seem to end up in the front exhibit when I'm there unless its Ali's birthday which is a shame because they're puny compared to him. Once I heard that he was supposed to shift onto the big habitat at 3pm so I would wait for him to come out but he never did.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. Sarus Crane

Was thinking about going to the zoo on Wednesday but after looking at the latest price hikes was like YIKES!!! How does the zoo think it needs to charge $30 a ticket in advance and $35 the day of??? I can go to Six Flags and get more bang for my buck based on that price! :eek:

10. SusScrofa

Most zoos are raising prices nowadays it seems. At least Jacksonville is fairly large and of good quality. AZA membership should still get you in for $15.

11. SusScrofa

12. King of Komodo Dragons

King of Komodo Dragons Well-Known Member

13. King of Komodo Dragons

The zoo is teasing a new animal, which judging from the photo might be an Amur Leopard

登录 Facebook

Smaggledagle likes this.
  14. Sarus Crane

They should get an African Leopard instead. I saw Niolai panting unnecessarily too often when he was in that exhibit. As of April they were still holding Yellow Billed Storks, ibises and spoonbills in there. Have they left yet?

15. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Other 2023 News:

On February 24th, it was mentioned that the zoo transferred (1.1) giant otters named Ken and Merume to the Houston Zoo in Texas.*

On March 17th, the zoo announced that a (1.0) North Sulawesi babirusa named Jeffery passed away at age 10 due to declining health caused by cancer and internal fluid.

Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens

On April 6th, the zoo announced they added Inca terns to the Tuxedo Coast (Mangellic penguin) exhibit (possibly from the Walkthrough Aviary in the Range of the Jaguar area). The zoo also announced they added streaks to the viewing windows to help the birds from avoiding to fly into said windows.

登录 Facebook

On April 24th, it was announced that the zoo transferred a (0.1) generic giraffe named Daisy to the Topeka Zoo in Kansas.

Topeka Zoo

On May 18th it was announced that the zoo transferred (2.0) black-faced ibises to the San Francisco Zoo in California.

https://sfrecpark.org/DocumentCenter/View/20319/JtZooAg51823

*Information was given by @Jake From State Farm from the Houston Zoo News 2023 thread.

16. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

Recently, the zoo announced that the mystery feline was in fact, a newborn jaguar, the zoo’s first in 10 years! With the following announcement originating from the zoo’s Instagram account:

For the first time in 10 years, the Zoo has welcomed a jaguar cub! The little one was born April 7 to first-time mother and father, Babette and Harry, respectively. Mom and cub have been spending ample quality time behind-the-scenes. Before its public debut in Range of the Jaguar, the cub has some growing to do. In the meantime, visit the Lost Temple herp house to view a video of mom and baby in their cozy dens behind-the-scenes”.

~ @Austin the Sengi

17. King of Komodo Dragons

The SSP was in dire need of some new cubs, so this is even better news than if they got a leopard!

18. King of Komodo Dragons

19. King of Komodo Dragons

20. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jaguar cub named:

The male cub has been named Banks, following a vote.

He remains off display, but a video stream can be seen outside his exhibit.

Meet Banks; Jacksonville Zoo’s jaguar cub has been named

The name “Banks” is a homage to the St. Johns River and the home of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The social media polls proved to be a tight contest:

1. Banks received 2,185 votes, or 30%
    2. Zuco received 2,174 votes, or 29%
    3. Duwey received 2,164 votes, or 29%
    4. Tabai received 816 votes, or 11%