Join our zoo community

Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens Jacksonville Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 26 Apr 2008.

Tags:
  1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

On Saturday (February 20th), one of the zoo’s jaguars, 21-year-old female “Zenta” sadly passed away after she was killed in a holding complex for which a male jaguar was involved. The article had stated that the incident occurred when the 12-year-old male “Harry” was brought in to an off-show holding area to be examined after he had apparently ingested some “pieces of an enrichment item”. Zookeepers, according to the news release said that they tried to separate the animals using several tactics through the mesh, but were unsuccessful. The zoo’s animal health team were called in to help immobilize “Harry”, but “Zenta” had already died by the time they had arrived.

“Zenta” will be dearly missed by all, as she was a favorite of both staff and guests alike, and with all said and done. I really do hope that she wil

- Austin the Sengi

Last edited: 23 Feb 2021
  2. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Their current male is darn old. I would hope they source a breeding age or proven one soon.

Sarus Crane and StoppableSan like this.
  6. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think Archie can breed naturally anymore. He's 51 years old and his legs are probably too weak.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Exactly my point. I do not believe that even say 10 years ago this male was a breeding option. Makes me wonder why you let that many years rip for your older female ..., that probably now is also past sell by date (given that reproductive senescence sets in at 20+).

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. Sarus Crane

Kimacho the male Okapi has passed away. This is from the zoo's Facebook:

"With profound sadness we announce the passing of the beloved okapi at Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, Kimacho. Like humans, okapi can suffer from acute heart disease, and he had been under treatment for heart and respiratory illness for quite some time. He was getting progressively worse, so we made the tough decision to humanely euthanize him Thursday.

At 20 years old, Kimacho lived a long life for his species. He was born September 7, 2000 and came to our Zoo in 2010 from the Houston Zoo. For 11 years in Jacksonville, he served as an extraordinary ambassador for his endangered species and was a favorite among guests and staff alike.

Okapi are native to the dense rainforests of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and due to their elusive nature, were not discovered until 1901. Due to their unique markings, people first thought they were relatives of zebra, however they are the only living relatives of giraffe. Their species is threatened due to deforestation, poaching, and mining. We proudly support the work of the Okapi Conservation Project, who works with wildlife rangers and communities throughout the Okapi Wildlife Reserve to ensure the protection of the okapi and other species in the area.

Zoo fans are encouraged to post their favorite photos and memories of Kimacho. Our animal care staff and entire Zoo family appreciate your thoughts during this difficult time."

*Time to bring back the Cape Buffaloes!!!!!* :D

9. Sarus Crane

Went to the zoo on June 6th. Here's my update.

The Greater flamingos are sitting on nests so hopefully, there will be more chicks.

The Wood Stork Colony is well underway raising chicks and most are half grown already. One nest is right next to the boardwalk. The mother who was in there was always on guard since people like to get selfies and photos right in front of it.

I found out that typically if you want to see the bull elephant Ali out in the main yard you have to wait until 3pm as the females Thandi and Sheena get it from opening until then. Sometimes they mix it up but of all the times I've visited it (with Ali's B-Day as an exception) he's in the back near the giraffes where you can see him from the boardwalk that leads up to the giraffe viewing balcony.

The Lappet Faced Vultures are nesting. It's hard to get good lighting on them when taking photos.

The exhibit for Nicolai the Amur Leopard who passed away earlier this year has been turned into a holding space where several birds from the River Valley Aviary are being held before being shipped to Disney's Animal Kingdom for a new exhibit they are building there for them. I don't know if they will get a new Leopard or do something else with this space.

I'm hoping to get to IllumiZoo Summer Spectacle at some point this summer.

10. Kifaru Bwana

Should be the 2nd time for the lappet faced vultures at Jacksonville!

Sarus Crane likes this.
  11. Austin the Sengi

“It’s a boy! Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens celebrates birth of baby giraffe”

A new male Reticulated Giraffe was born recently to experienced mother “Luna” yesterday back on July 2nd, and with this new birth. It now marks the sixth time that Luna has successfully conceived offspring. And it also turns out that the birth had occurred while she (Luna) was out on exhibit with the rest of the Zoo’s giraffe tower/herd as well.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2021
    TinoPup, IndianRhino and StoppableSan like this.
  12. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Who is the sire of this calf? Their new bull AJ just arrived in December, any offspring sired by him could only be born in spring 2022 at the earliest. And, didn't their previous breeding male Duke pass away in late 2018?

Jaxton likes this.
  13. Austin the Sengi

Well @Animals R AMAZING!, I am not so certain on who is the father of the new calf as of right now. But I’m just going to say that it might end up being “A.J”, but who knows it could also be someone else instead. But hey that’s just my own opinion. And as for “Duke” he did for certain pass away back in late 2018 just like you had said before.

IndianRhino likes this.
  14. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If the new bull arrived in December, he’s absolutely not the father. A giraffe pregnancy is 14 to 16 months. Do/did they have any juvenile males? Without an adult bull to suppress them, this calf could be an “oops” from an adolescent male.

15. Austin the Sengi

Well @Kudu21, I do know that their last two adolescent males “Izzy” and “Duke Jr.” were transferred to Wisconsin’s Timbavati Wildlife Park back on the 29th of June. But even so, I still honestly have no idea on who the father of the new calf really is.

16. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Izzy and Duke Jr. would have only been about a year old when the calf was conceived. My guess is the father was Dixon. He was born at the zoo in late 2017. I am not sure when Dixon left Jacksonville, but he would have been about two and a half when the calf was conceived. I am sure this was an accidental pregnancy.

17. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Is Dixon related to Luna in any way? I hope this calf isn’t inbred!

18. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you— that would absolutely check out. A two-and-a-half year old male with no dominant bull around would definitely take advantage of that situation. Mystery solved, I’d say.

Jaxton likes this.
  19. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A complete fool was clawed by a jaguar at the zoo after he provoked the animals, hopped a barrier and then in a moment of total brilliance stuck his hand inside the mesh. He was taken to hospital with non life threatening injuries. What is with people this year and thinking a fence is just a climbing obstacle instead of a barrier to protect them?

Florida man injured after sticking his arm in jaguar pen at zoo

StoppableSan and Loxodonta Cobra like this.