Join our zoo community

Japans best zoos based on animal welfare,environmental education and conservation efforts.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Idk, 14 Jul 2021.

Tags:
  1. Idk

Idk Active Member

I think japanese zoos are outdated and just bad.But there a handful of zoos that are good.I would like to know everyone's opinion on japanese zoos.(if I mess up the forum sorry bcz I'm new to zoochat.)

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Why do you think they are bad and outdated ?

3. Idk

Idk Active Member

Most zoos still use old fashioned exhibitions like grottos and are pretty small.Alot of zoos are unnaturalistic and still use concrete instead of naturel substrate.

4. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No need to sorry we would like more people from Japan to join.

I have been to a few Japanese zoos and i mostly agree Japanese zoos are mostly oudated. Some of the zoos still use small cages and offered them unfavourable exhibit. I would say the best zoo I have been to in Japan is Tama Zoo and Zoorasia, which both provide animals with natural exhibit mostly. Tama is having it's new elephant exhibit so that'll also be a massive upgrade. Yokohama zoorasia have a lot of good exhibit, and the chimp exhibit is one of the best I've seen.

In terms of education and conservation, i think that should be the Tokyo's. Although I don't really know about that.

5. Idk

Idk Active Member

I think there are three zoos that I find doesn't have huge problems toyohashi zoo,zoorasia and tama zoo.

Toyohashi zoos has some outdated exhibits I don't think they're that bad compared to others that are much worse so if they fix that they will be a pretty decent zoo.

Zoorasia needs to get rid of the wires and tweak the exhibits so they're escape proof and make a new elephant enclosure that hits global standards.If they are able to do all of that they will be a really good zoo.

Tama zoo needs to update their not horrible but old enclosure and will also be a really good zoo.

6. Idk

Idk Active Member

To have good environmental education I think you need a good amount of panels about the animal and where it lives.It also should teach the people of where the animals are from and how we can safely coexist with them.Its also a bonus if the zoo can be immersive and make the visitors feel like their at the animals natural habitat like zoorasia does with how there are alot of trees int the african forest section so there alot of canopy above like in an african forest but there no trees in the african savanna section and feels very open like an actual savanna.

7. Idk

Idk Active Member

I think the best example of good education in japanese zoos is at the new lion bus station at tama zoo which has an area in the building that is disguised as an african hut.And has alot of educational panels and sculptures of lions.

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yet I agree with your first point and somewhat agree with your second point too.