Join our zoo community

Javan Rhinos caught on Camera

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Fodders, 7 Mar 2009.

1. Fodders

Fodders Well-Known Member

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

that's a great link! thanks.

Well for the species I think that the Vietname species is most likely going to die out quite soon.. unfortunately. And though it might take a very long time things are looking up for the Javan species as they are regaining numbers in the Ujong national park.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The current new camera trap evidence is only available for 9 identifiable individual rhinos at Ujung Kulon. The population is certainly higher than that ... so, it is early days I am afraid to make any long term conclusions. I would be interested to see the published papers from these camera traps (and lo and behold I have not found any for the last years ***** or more, just the Vietnamese rhinos ONLY)! To me it is hard guessing and pro-actively using the media to raise awareness (nothing wrong in that), I just require hard, concrete and complete facts of the camera trap programme on the ground to make any inferred judgements. I will write to the responsible people soonish and find out more for all of you.

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The future is still not looking bright for this species, due to differculties we still don't have a good idea on the numbers.

And with an estimate capacity of the forest being 100, even if they did recover there is few suitable places to move rhinos too.

5. Kifaru Bwana

taun,

All this is just guestimates and inference based upon a small sample size, and not definite valid scientific end-fact.

The esitimated capacity of Ujung Kulon is even more messy and like predicting land stability in quicksand ... :rolleyes:

K.B.

6. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there any Javans in captivity?

7. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I know this Kifaru Bwana, am just reiterating things that I have read to help answer the original post.

8. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The answer is no. However it is believed there have been a few in captivity that had been labelled as Indian Rhinos.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Will post tomorrow re rhinos in captivity (have the definite compendium on all rhinos maintained in captivity at home).

K.B.

10. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Looking forward to that

11. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

This species is on my list of animals I'd shed buckets if I saw them in the wild.

12. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anyone here been to a ecotour through Ujung Kulon National Park? There is a canoe ride through the Cigenter River where you might get a glimpse of the rhino, if you are very lucky. Chances are you may not see anything. Javan Rhino is one of the must see animals on my list, so I will take a chance with the canoe ride.

13. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I guess you`d need to make 1000+ canue rides to be sure to see a rhino.. they have the reputation to be VERY elusive and even the scientists working in the park since many years don`t see them regularly. It must be a fantastic experience nevertheless, there must be loads of animals and plants to see exept the rhino. Just don`t be dissapointed, it`s extremely unlikely that you will see one.

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With 'invisible' species like the Javan Rhino. the problem is always that if you have got as far as their reserve, you REALLY REALLY want to see a rhino and nothing else will make up for the disappointment when it doesn't happen. You always believe that you might be the lucky one...(but then you find like everyone else, you are not....;))

15. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

I think they have tried to breed this species in captivity, but all attemps were either unsuccessful or short-lived :(

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Javan rhinos :confused:

17. Jacobea

Jacobea Well-Known Member

Yes, Javans. As I said though, I *think* they did-not sure when or where, so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt ;)

18. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You are right. The odds are against me. A two hour canoe ride for an average tourist is nothing compare to hundreds of hours scientists spent in the field in studying the rhino. But I will still relish the experience of touring through their habitat. Like visiting your favorite celebrity's house without seeing your favorite celebrity.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not within modern times e.g. the last hundred years.