Join our zoo community

Woburn Safari Park Jeremy Vine

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 29 Jun 2010.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Today, on the Jeremy Vine show on BBC radio 2, a debate was started on the DEFRA report on Woburn safari park, which is fair enough, but when this debate is continually referred to by Mr Vine, for whom i have a great deal of respect as a journalist, as "are safari parks crueler than zoos".
    He not only used this statement once, but right through this section of his programme, involved in the debate were Miranda Stevenson from BIAZA, some guy from CAPS, a few e-mails and phone comments from the listeners, as well as a call from Ben Mee from Dartmoor zoo.
    It was all rounded off by a call from an Andrew Bedford, otherwise known as his grace the Duke of Bedford, the owner of Woburn safari park, and i think this rattled mr Vine.
    I feel so strongly about the tone of the debate, and in particular the wording of it.
    So i am posting the link to the BBC i-player for UK listeners, take a moment to listen to it, see if you agree with me.
    I think i shall send a complaint to the BBC, as i think all the good zoos in the UK, as well as the safari parks, have been dealt a low blow by the supposedly unbiased and even handed BBC.
    See what you think it starts at 1.38.

BBC iPlayer Console - Jeremy Vine: 29/06/2010

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  2. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I haven't listened to the debate yet but I heard a trailer for the feature earlier in the day. The question Jeremy Vine was using was "Are safari parks just as cruel as zoos?". The phrasing of this question suggests that he has alreadys dismissed zoos (as differentiated from safari parks by exactly what perameters?) as cruel.

3. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Just listened to the interview. I felt Miranda Stevenson,Ben Mee and Andrew Bedford done well with the questions raised and I completley agreed with their views. On the other hand, was very dissapointed with Jeremy Vines attitude towards them. I dont think he really questioned CAPS views nor the publics either. I felt it was rather one sided.

4. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Looks like It was a big deal, Im listening to it now! OMG THE FIRST WORDS PISSES ME OFF!

Old World Zoos?!

DOUBLE EDIT: I really really hate Caps, restricted enclosure? 100 acre reserve at Knowsley?

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Jun 2010
  5. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

I could question caps, over and over again! How dare they use Chester in their cruelty videos!

EDIT: Sorry I keep listening, Lucy is an idiot.

6. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Grow up! Quotes like this make you look madder and far more irrational than them. If they're reading this you're gifting them.

Would you seriously kill someone for having a different opinion to you? If not don't say it, it makes you look any idiot. If so (i.e. you want to kill those who disagree with you), you genuinely need locking up.

I have no love for CAPS but they have a right to their (mis-informed, dogmatic, incorrect) opinion.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2010
  7. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Maybe I do need locking up. I really do hate their biased information and complete stupidity. I really was burning inside for about a week when they used Chester Zoo in their cruelty videos, I have no respect for them, not one bit.

8. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I agree with shorts paix (apart from the locking up bit - that's also unnecessary). Your passion is great but your wording detracts from your arguement and even negates it. For people who don't agree with your gifting them a 'look at them!' reaction, and many people who do agree with your side of the debate will want to distance themselves from such imflamatory comments (myself included).

9. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

I admit, it was stupid comment and I have learnt my lesson, I apologise and I have learnt to think before I submit. Once again I am sorry.

EDIT: That is directed at both you and Shorts.

10. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've listened, it's a disgrace how they instantly dismissed zoos, and gave the CAPS bloke and the woman who lives near Woburn a really easy time whilst give Andrew, Ben and Miranda a very hard time. I also hated how Vine instantly dismissed zoos as being cruel.

11. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

I agree that this "debate" was very one-sided but I generally find with the media that that always happens when zoos are mentioned. The listener that said why do most people not consider it cruel to house farm animals in small pens etc made a very valid point. Do these animals not matter as much? I find it sad that while there are undoubtedly some poor zoos the majority of zoos, safari parks etc are staffed by people who care so much about animals and conservation that they are willingly to put up with very low pay, difficult conditions etc to give the animals the very best care they can. The media rarely report anything fact for fact and generally everything you read, hear or see you should take with a pinch of salt. I feel they are very happy to put a few cute baby animal pictures (taken in zoos and safari parks) in their papers etc to sell a few more but the minute there is the slightest negative story about an animal collection they assume all are cruel etc.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  12. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just to update, i did get a reply from Phil Jones, editor of the show on 9/9

Thank you so much for your feedback on the show.

It's clear that you hold the programme in high regard and I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. I think it's accurate to say that you take issue specifically with the use of the word ''cruel'' in reference to zoos. I completely understand your objection to the use of this word. I have reviewed the broadcast and I can see the point you are making. I would like to assure you that we had no intention of presenting any bias against zoos. We took great care to ensure that voices supporting zoos were given ample time to defend the treatment of their animals. A particularly good example of this is the guest, Benjamin Mee, who is Director of Dartmoor Zoo. He stated the very valuable work his and other zoos carry out in the name of conservation. Furthermore, as you state, the Duke of Bedford spoke very eloquently on the benefits of the animal enrichment process.

Again, I apologise if it seemed as though we were biased against zoos and their work. This is not the case. I sincerely hope you will continue to listen to the Jeremy Vine Show and I encourage you to continue giving us feedback on our output. It is vital that you feel able to comment on our coverage of subjects which are, so often, difficult and controversial. I assure you that your points have been taken into account.

Best wishes,

Phil Jones
    Editor, Jeremy Vine

Wisp O' Mist likes this.