Join our zoo community

Jersey toads are a unique species

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by DesertRhino150, 9 Oct 2014.

1. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Collaboration between scientists and conservationists have found that the common toads on the island of Jersey are actually a different species from those found elsewhere. They grow larger, breed earlier and use different habitats to common toads in England.

BBC News - Jersey toad is unique species, say experts

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Very intresting, thanks for sharing DesertRhino ! But instead of compairing the jersey toads with English toads I guess it would have been wiser to compair them with Frence toads !
    Even so, nice to know there is yet another new European ( sub? ) species to look about.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, given that geographically the Channel Islands are 'french' rather than 'British', their toads should be allied to french toads and you would expect them to differ from English ones anyway. But there may be additional differences due to island separation too.

I believe their Grass snake is different also.

4. dean

dean Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can remember when John Wilkinson, went out do do the research, he thought then they may have been different to the UK Native Bufo B. glad he was proved right.
    I can't speak of the French Bufo, but in Tuscany, Italy The common male toads are a good 3rd larger than the British ones, They also have the southern toad B. b .spinozus which are even larger.

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member