Join our zoo community

Jerusalem Biblical Zoo Jerusalem Biblical Zoo Review

Discussion in 'Israel' started by The_UltimateBea, 5 Sep 2018.

1. The_UltimateBea

The_UltimateBea Well-Known Member

Intro and Overview
    The Jerusalem Biblical Zoo sits nestled on 25 hectares (62 acres) in the Malha Valley in southern Jerusalem. At it's current location since 1993, the zoo attracts 700,000 visitors a year which makes it Israel's number one tourist attraction. It focuses on current and historical (biblical and recent) local species well as animals from around the world.

My review is based on several visits in late August and early September of 2018. Although the zoo has several clearly defined areas, many of it's animals are located in exhibits without a clear connection to adjacent ones. Therefore, I will review the themed areas as units but the unorganized areas will be reviewed as individual enclosures or houses. To that end, my review will be split into four large areas (each being a separate post) with the smaller pre defined exhibits and lone enclosures falling underneath. Miscellaneous info will come last.

The sections are as follows:

Lagoon Area
    This large lagoon is located immediately adjacent to the entrance. Several habitats of varying size and content sorround the lagoon along with the lagoon itself being filled with waterfowl and two primate islands.

Upper Ridge
    This ridge overlooks the lagoon area and the sorrounding neighborhoods. It mostly consists of moderately sized mammal yards and several aviaries. Smaller enclosures are also present.

Southern Themed Zone
    The majority of the zoo's themed areas are located here. This area includes the main children's zoo, as well as several other elements designed with children in mind.

Large Yards
    This is the location of the largest zoo exhibits: an African Savana and several adjacent ungulate enclosures. A few satellite enclosures are also found as well as the Noah's Ark structure, which includes a snack bar and eductaional center.

Jambo and Arizona Docent like this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's a pretty brief review. Are you planning to add posts with more detail (such as species lists)?

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Found your answer @Arizona Docent. Seek and ye shall find... :D

ZooBinh likes this.
  4. The_UltimateBea

My reviews will be detailed. I did note some of the species but I didn't compile a full species list. Perhaps in the future.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  5. The_UltimateBea

Lagoon Area

Lagoon
    The lake itself is comprised of a southern half with a siamang island and waterfowl and a northern half with an island for black-handed spider monkey. The two halves are separated by a wooden bridge.

The siamang island, located directly adjacent to the entrance, leaves something to be desired. It had only a moderate amount of enrichment and the size was too small for an ape of that size. The waterfowl, however, definitely help to fill out the lagoon consisting of black swan, crowned crane and mallard duck among others. The waterfowl frequently amble onto a grassy area beside the lagoon, providing for an open air barierless experience and a very pleasent zoo entrance. In addition, the southern top of the lagoon contains two standard fenced of enclosures, one for Carribean and one for Greater Flamingos. The island for black-handed spider monkey is of simmilar size and composition but is obviously much more suited for an animal of its size.

Small Animal House
    To the right of the entrance is a fairly typical small animal house. It contains a mix of mammals and reptiles in several indoor and two connected outdoor enclosures. There is a mix of Amazonian and local species. Of note is the Negev tortoise, a critically endangered endemic Israeli species estimated to have a wild population of no more than 2500. An adjacent outdoor Black Lemur enclosure contains about 10 active individuals which frequent the pathside part of the netted habitat.

African penguin
    The African penguin enclosure is fairly large and filled with the bird. It contains both underwater and above water viewing and ample ledges and cliffs for the animals to move around. The exhibit is constructed out of cut Jerusalem stone in addition to more natural rock. It is a great look which provides for a unique viewing experience. It is one of my favorite little areas in this zoo.

The White Night
    This small nocturnal house contains a mixture of medium size enclosures. In addition, cobwebs placed throughout and what nay or may not have been a fake spider provide for a little theming. Species include bats and rodents as well as Grey Slender Loris. It is a nice little house which does the job.

Macaw Row
    This row of small pathside aviaries contain several species of macaw. They are small and with a standard amount of theming. However, the birds are very active and talkative which makes these habitats nice to view for a few minutes.

Cheetah and squirrel monkey
    These two adjacent enclosures are similar sized and landscaped. Both are surrounded with the aforementioned Jerusalem stone and are grassy with central islands. In the squirrel monkey habitat, the island contains ample trees and climbing opportunities.Itcontains more than a dozen very active inhabitints and is very popular among visitors.

I did not see the Cheetah on my visits but its enclosure appears to be plenty large enough with a central platform and plenty of grassy space.

Tiger
    This big exhibit contains one snaking covered path leading to several viewing opportunities for Sumatran tiger. I only saw one tiger but the exhibit is great and provides much space for the tigers to move about right next to the viewing glass. There is also a small fish aquarium and an enclosure for a small ungulate (whose name escapes me) which round out this really great exhibit.

Miscellaneous
    The Center for Raptor Egg Incubation Is a small building which gives visitors the opportunity to see live eggs in the process of being incubacted. Several signs explainthe process and the mechanism of double clutching.

There is a stream which stems from a rock and flows over a waterfall at one end of the lagoon which provides water for the whole lake.

Several benches around the lagoon line the path along with, once again, Jerusalem stone. In addition, native trees are planted throughout the area making the pathways quite nice.

A large building appears to be near the end of construction between the Small Animal House and African penguin habitats. I was unable to find out what it will be.

There is a cafe, snack bar and gift shop at the entrance.

Jambo and Brum like this.
  6. The_UltimateBea

Will be continuing in a week and a half.

Jambo likes this.