Join our zoo community

Jinxed zoo for photographers

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by littleRedPanda, 19 Apr 2021.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Okay, so this isn't about not getting many photos, but have you had incidents occur on several occasions at a particular zoo?

Three or four years ago, my camera strap snapped resulting in smashed lens.
    A year ago, the fastener on my replacement strap had come unwound and my new camera and lens hit the deck from a low height, resulting in a big crack in the hood (they're fifty quid!)
    Today, it happened again, from a low height again but resulting in further cracking of the same hood.

All three incidents happened during visits to Chester

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would be mortified if this happened to me :eek: but luckily not yet!

3. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm not sure the particular zoo had much to do with your misfortune. In my 50+ years of attempting photography, I've never had a camera strap fail. But, I always think it could happen so I almost always keep a hand on the camera too.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@RetiredToTheZoo I think Chester is to blame, as it is far too enjoyable, stimulating and relaxing. :cool:

RetiredToTheZoo and Fallax like this.
  5. demonmoth

demonmoth Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Same here at cotswold wildlife park I always somehow manage to kill my camera one way or another struggle to change lenses there all the time. Or my neck strap magically disassemble itself and resulted my 500mm lense hitting the deck and needed realigning could have a bought a new one at the cost of it thank god I insured it! Or smacking it I'm very clumsy in the first place but I don't know why something will always happen at the cotswolds for me

6. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Singapore's River Safari. First visit my SD card was corrupted prior to/during backup, second time my camera shutter broke 10 minutes into my visit. :/
    I've had issues at other zoos but this is the only one which has defeated me on every visit so far. :)

7. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If we're discussing places that have just been horrible based off of one visit (as in zoos that I've been to only once)...I've just had horrible luck at the following:

San Diego Zoo Safari Park
    San Diego Zoo
    Louisville Zoo
    The Florida Aquarium

Now places that I've been to many a times...that have just been a constant pain in the ass:

Newport Aquarium (though I've been lucky on my most recent visits)
    Virginia Aquarium

Maybe aquariums are just hard to photograph? :p