Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo John Ellis - ZSL

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by John Dineley, 18 May 2012.

1. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to report that my friend and colleague John Ellis of ZSL has died.

John was taken seriously ill in April whilst participating at a Bird TAG meeting in Walsrode, Germany. He has remained in hospital in Bremen since then, where he has received the best medical care, but sadly he died yesterday.

An experienced zoo man of many years standing he had been with ZSL for 11 years with his final position being that of Senior Curator of Higher Vertebrates and Horticulture. Prior to ZSL he had worked at Chessington World of Adventures where I first met him.

[​IMG]

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Very sad.
    (That's my true sentiment, but the Forum won't permit so brief a post. Argh)

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yet another sad loss to Bird Keeping in the UK this year.

4. wenxue

wenxue Active Member

If there is a heaven I hope it is filled with beautiful, colourful amazing birds.

A very sad loss and my heart goes out to everyone who knew him. The world though was made much richer by all the good work he did while he walked on this earth.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A great loss to the UK zoo constituency.

6. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

From an email from the Zoological Director - ZSL

John’s funeral will take place at Honor Oak Crematorium on Thursday 31st May at 3.15pm. Seating in the chapel is limited (it seats only 70 people) so immediate family and ‘special’, close friends will take priority and the family have requested that it is just John’s close colleagues that attend from ZSL.

There will be family flowers only.

A page on the ZSL Just Giving site for charitable donations has been set up by the family and the details are here:

John McKenna is fundraising for Zoological Society Of London

7. abbyzoo

abbyzoo Member

RIP you wonderful man, the birds will cry, followed by all the people whose hearts you touched, I'm so sorry we didn't not get to meet again after such a long time, but I adored the time I spent with you at Chessiginton/ABWAK and miss those hugs, sleep well xxxxxx