Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park Journey into Africa

Discussion in 'United States' started by Ituri, 13 Apr 2008.

1. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has anyone out there yet experienced the new Journey into Africa tour at the park. I have yet, but I'm not so sure from what I've seen that this is an acceptable replacement for the WGASA bushline monorail. Actually a lot of the recent developments at the park seem to be taking it away from what it was which was a beautiful and enjoyable Wildlife Park and taking it more along the lines of an Anheiser Busch park like Sea World or Busch Gardens. I also am not a fan of the fact that the new tour costs extra when the monorail was included in admission. I doesn't seem like overall there has been that much value added to the experience. Just wondering what the thoughts are of anyone who has actually seen it.

2. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you posted that! My sentiments exactly.

I went on the new tram ride-- I was herded down a chute like a sheep, held behind painted lines at the tram station by poker-faced Nurse Ratchet types, and then went on the choo-choo ride through the "wilds of Africa"-- all because I wanted a glimpse of a northern white rhino.

I got my momentary glimpse, so I guess it was worth it. :eek: But I did not enjoy the ride and would never do it again.

And what's up with that huge balloon ride thing down there close to the tram station? It does indeed feel like they are moving into Busch Garden territory, which is not the Wild Animal Park that I have so admired all of these years!

Also: $17.87 for a ham sandwhich, chips, and drink. Glad that it helps to feed the animal collection, but DANG. I had to ring my girlfriend back home on the cell: " You'll never guess what a ham sandwhich costs in California these days..."

The place looked a bit past it the last time I was there... hard to put my finger on why. Grim-glam tram police and overpriced food didn't help.

3. Ituri

Had you ridden the old monorail before, or was this your first trip to the SD(Z)WAP?

4. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

No, I've been many times. My first Wgasa ride was in 1986-- I'll never forget it as it was the first time I caught a glimpse of Indian rhino Lasai. I had read about him in a book by Sheldon Campbell titled Lifeboats to Ararat that talked at length about Lasai's problems at the zoo and breeding success at the park (great book, btw). Yes, as I recall I quite enjoyed myself on that first Wgasa ride-- and on subsequent trips too. At least you got to see the park without being gouged and treated like cattle.

So, there I was over 20 years later, just another rubber stamped dork--riding a tram through the park in search of yet another rhino. Oh what a difference 20 years makes. Words like "antiseptic", "mind-numbingly bland", "regurgitated pablum" come to mind.

After the ride, I actually cornered two little old lady docents and went off on them. Sorry ladies! One of them actually said " I hope that made you feel better!" Good sports, both of them.

I've also done the Photo Caravan thing, plus gone behind the scenes a good deal on visits during my keeper years...

The park had guts at one time. It was grand and cutting edge and the horizon seemed limitless. The name San Diego really meant something then. Now it seems to be dumbing itself down.

I hate that! But that's the throw-away, dumbed-down world in which we live. Britney Spears for President.

I imagine that the costs of running the park are astronomical these days, hence the $17 snack, god-awful eyesore of a balloon ride, extra for the tram ride, gouge, gouge, gouge...

Where's the integrity!!??

Wow, you hit a nerve there...

Last edited: 13 Apr 2008
  5. Ituri

The problem, to me seems, that with all the most recent developments at the WAP what is lost is greater than what is gained. Journey into Africa may gain a shorter, more up close (presumably) tour that is specifically only African species, (although with the breadth of the species displayed with little regard to actualy given range, I don't suppose that matters). But what was lost was a remarkable experience, gliding silently along the landscape watching an incredible variety of amazing animals. The new baloon safari presumable gains (for those willing to pay for it) a great view of the San Pasqual valley, but what is lost is the panorama for those on the ground having to look at that eyesore. They really seem to have forgotten what made them special. I don't think Charlie Schroeder would be very pleased with what they have done with his park.

6. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Your right, I suspect that Dr. Schroeder is rolling in his grave. I too miss the old monorail. From what I understand, the park is moving into a new, more "interactive" direction - thus the balloon and waterpark. Im worried about this new direction, does anyone know what other future plans are in store for the park? Heart of Africa, Condor Ridge, and Lion Camp were great additions and I had hoped more would follow, but the newer additions seem to go to far from the park's environment.

The only good that seems to be coming out of this is the new Central African field exhibit (and sad for the loss of the Asian Waterhole field exhibit that was replaced). Any details on the collection for Central Africa?... I heard there were bongo, sitatunga, red river hog. And what exactly is the "Greening the Park" campaign supposed to do?

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I agree with okapikpr with his statement regarding Heart of Africa, Condor Ridge and Lion Camp. Those three are all terrific exhibits, and the wildlife on display at the Wild Animal Park is magnificent. I particularly like the little 22-page booklet that one can pick up at Condor Ridge, as it is packed with information on the animals within that area. The waterpark and hot air balloon are a bit too commercial for my tastes, but I can live with them as they appeal to some visitors.

Having to pay extra for the Journey into Africa tour does appear to be a bit of a cash-grab, and is it still about an hour long? Do you get closer to the animals? Is there only the one tour and can you only go on it once before paying even more for a second ride?

8. Ituri

I don't know the answer to the rest of your questions, but I do know that the Journey into Africa tour is supposedly only 20-25 minutes long (because it takes up about half of the area of the old tour)

9. snowleopard

It is expensive to pay the entrance fee into the Wild Animal Park, and then another $10 for adults to take the Journey into Africa tour that only lasts around 25-30 minutes. I think that the biofuel trams are environmentally a big improvement over the aging monorail system, but the extra charge must irk many longtime visitors. The Asian tram ride, which should be about 25-30 minutes as well, is supposedly going to be up and running within the next couple of years. No doubt there will be an additional charge for that trip as well. I'm just curious whether or not the rides are actually that much closer to the wildlife.

10. okapikpr

The rides are completely closer to the animals. The old monorail was what 100 feet (if not more) from outside the field exhibit wall, while the new tram is inside the field exhibit with the animals (like disney).

11. Ituri

Have you ridden it yet? From what I've seen I don't get the impression you actually go IN the field exhibits.

12. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention-- the lady docents that I unloaded on :rolleyes: told me that the Wgasa bushline was breaking down all the time and they had issues with "rescuing" people who were stuck out there in the blazing sun for hours waiting to get it started again. Someone, apparently, with health issues barely got out in time--something along those lines.

I think it would be great if they would reinstate the old long tram system (and even make it longer), then perhaps create stops and viewing spots/trails at various points throughout their enormous property that would permit viewing of the Somali wild ass, P horses, etc-- stuff you can't see at all now. The sky would be the limit then for really getting in there and getting a handle on the true scope of the collection-- most of it you can't even see or appreciate. Now they have reduced you to a mostly Nairobi Village experience, which leaves a lot to be desired.

Extensive tram system, stops, trails-- then you could get on and off as you pleased and rest, take a hike, return for the next tram at your own pace. You wouldn't be shuffled like a load of cattle. You would have choices and the experience would be more personal and private as needed. If you didn't want to stop on the far side of Asian Plains and get out for a walk, you could just stay on the tram and head back to Nairobi Village. Everyone could be happy as it would allow a brief overview for people not that interested or able to walk, as well as a more in-depth experience for people like us that really want to get in there and see stuff, take photos, observe behavior, etc..

13. okapikpr

No I have not ridden it, but from the zoo's publications (Zoonooz) and pictures from the website it says it goes into the field exhibits and ..."In some places, the ride path takes you so close you may be able to hear the sounds the animals make." In the new Central Africa field exhibit, the tram crosses on a bridge over the lake onto their new island for bird breeding sites. There is even a map showing the ride through the field exhibits.

14. okapikpr

The Wilds in Ohio (a 10,000 acre conservation center) is set up with a similar tram that transverses its field exhibits and now has a few stops (in fenced areas) within the pens that allow for closer and at you leisure viewing - just get back on a tram when you are ready for the next stop. I think i have posted some pictures in the North American other zoos gallery.

15. snowleopard

Monarto open-range zoo in South Australia has an hour long bus ride that loops inside all of the exhibits: cheetah, lion, african wild dog, gazelles, ostrich, bison, giraffe, etc, etc. There are stations where visitors can hop off and take closer looks at the wildlife, and then simply hang around and wait for the next tour to come along. The enclosures are massive, and there is a dirt track that the tour follows.

16. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

I am a little confused....

Does this mean that the Asian exhibits can no longer be seen? What about the exhibit featuring the masses of rocks for the mountain goats and the exhibits housing he oryx and the wild horses?

Last time I went the Asian field exhibits were only accessible via the bush line railway...please explain...

I personally loved the Asian exhibit with the huge water hole featuring the bison, deer and the goats that used to climb into the trees...and of course the Indian Rhinos..

17. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Are the indian Rhino mixed in with gaur?

How many Gaur does the park have, and What is their breeding situation?
    What is the breeding situation like for Gaur in North America as a whole?

18. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

No, these can no longer be seen. I think they are planning another tram for that. But as far as I know ( I haven't been since May of last year) Asia is off limits unless you pay to take a Photo Caravan tour into the field exhibits.

I hope I never hear the Wild Animal Park complain about lack of revenue and declining visitors-- they have this incredible treasure that they have locked completely away. Simply from very bad planning.

The place seems to be in decline and they have the answer to their problems right under their very nose.

19. Ituri

The animals from the mountain habitat I believe have left for other locales.

The rhinoceros are indeed in with the gaur, and sambar, and axis, and Persian goitered gazelles, and blackbuck, and Armenian mouflon, and more. They have what was and I believe still is the largest herd of gaur in the states. Pretty impressive herd.

The latest San Diego Zoonooz says that developments for the park include 8 new mammal and bird habitats around the perimiter of Journey into Africa, African wild dog habitat, and an Asian tiger trek. No mention of an Asian tram tour. I really suppose they are going to wait some time so the novelty of the African tram falls off a bit.

20. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

Every zoo goes through different eras, some visionary and others pedestrian.

This is a really bad era for the Wild Animal Park. Very bland and all over the place and dumbed down. I suppose we'll just have to ride this one out until someone with vision takes over the reins once more...