Join our zoo community

July 1st Unlocking-lockdown Puzzle

Discussion in 'Quizzes, Competitions & Games' started by gentle lemur, 1 Jul 2020.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought my June 1st puzzle would be the last of this series, but inspiration arrived suddenly, and as I'm not going to visit a zoo until next week I had time to work it out.
    Again it's an exercise in naming the species shown and finding the Odd One Out.
    I am very sorry that I wasn't able to include a fish in this puzzle, I know I have exactly the right photo somewhere - but it seems to have gone into hiding. It's a great pity as my policy has always been to include all 5 Classes of vertebrates in each puzzle, but we all have to make compromises in these difficult times. Perhaps this will encourage more ZooChatters to try to solve the puzzle: I hope this one is relatively easy ;)
    Please post your answers in this thread after noon GMT/UST (11 am BST) on Sunday 5th July - you are allowed to be late if you are lucky enough to be visiting a zoo :)
    The only hint I will give is that the orders of the photos is not important. As usual, please post comments and queries below or send me a PM.

2. gentle lemur

No comments or questions yet. Is everyone super confident or just baffled?
    I have a hint ready and two tie-breakers if required ;)

3. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah sorry, I forgot to add my comment. I'm got most of them I think but a few are causing trouble... :)

4. gentle lemur

If @amur leopard hasn't sorted everything out I doubt if he's alone.
    The hint is that many species have alternative common names, some of which may seem a little old-fashioned today ;)

amur leopard likes this.
  5. gentle lemur

Any answers yet?

6. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Yes, thanks for the reminder!

1. Hoopoe
    2. Muntjac
    3. Blacksmith plover / peewit
    4. Coscoroba
    5. Trumpeter
    6. Mew gull
    7. Bushbaby
    8. Kea
    9. Matamata
    10. New Guinea singing dog
    11. Dik-dik
    12. Motmot
    13. Rattlesnake
    14. Tinkerbird?
    15. Hummingbird
    16. Tokay gecko
    17. Chattering lory
    18. Whistling duck
    19. Howler monkey
    20. Boobook / morepork

Odd one out is 9, as all others are onomatopoeic in name.

gentle lemur likes this.
  7. gentle lemur

@Mo Hassan you have got the right idea idea, but some of the names are not onomatapeoic and you have a couple of identifications wrong, including your proposed Odd One Out (although I'm sure you are correct to say that matamata turtles don't whisper 'matamata' to each other) :)

8. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

D'Oh! "I" must be Pipa toad then? I suspect N is wrong. I don't have any better guesses for that or any of the others, so this will be my final entry :).

oooh, unless J is Dingo, in which case that's the odd one out? I'll stop now ;)

gentle lemur likes this.
  9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I couldn't really get the letters N or O, other than O looked like a hummingbird but now that it has been mentioned then yes N is a Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird. I figured the letter I was a Pipa Toad and that was the odd one out as all the others have common names derived from the sound they make.

And I'd imagine the missing photo of a relevant fish was a Talking Catfish.

10. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Isn’t the gull a kittiwake? Wondered if the amphibian might have been a Mudpuppy (named for its bark), which left me stuck on the odd one out...

gentle lemur likes this.
  11. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

And Muntjak is otherwise Barking Deer!

12. gentle lemur

Yes, I think we've just about got everything now. The full list is:-
    A hoopoe*
    B Reeve's muntjac/barking deer
    C blacksmith plover
    D coscoroba* swan
    E grey-winged trumpeter
    F kittiwake*
    G Senegal galago/bushbaby
    H kea*
    I PIPA TOAD
    J New Guinea singing dog
    K Kirk's dik dik*
    L blue-crowned motmot*
    M Aruba Island rattlesnake
    N yellow-rumped tinkerbird
    O Amazilia hummingbird
    P Tokay gecko*
    Q yellow-backed chattering lory
    R Cuban whistling duck
    S black howler monkey
    T boobook* owl
    Strictly speaking, only those marked * are onomatopoeic (the name mimicking the noise), and I think that tokay and gecko are alternative ways for humans to match the same call. I have to be a bit cautious here because different sources sometimes give different derivations of names, I found some odd ones for the coscoroba, but anyone who has heard the bird's call can have no doubt.
    I had some problems setting this puzzle, quite a few amphibian have noisy names (barking frog, spring peeper) but I didn't have photos of any of them - and I never thought of a mudpuppy, of which I have some poor photos, so I have learned something :) For fishes I could have had a drum or a grunt or a talking catfish - but I don't have pictures of them either. I could have chosen an emperor snapper, but that didn't see quite fair, so I was searching for my picture of a pair of croaking gouramis (Trichopsis vittata), which I still haven't found.
    The other problem was choosing the Odd One Out. It could have been the mute swan, except that they aren't mute (as anyone who has been hissed at during a riverside picnic can tell you). I considered the bongo, because I think the story that bongo drums are named after them or made from their skins is a myth - but I couldn't be sure. At least the pipa toad sounds as if it might have an onomatopoeic name, but I read that they can only make a clicking sound.
    Congratulations to @Mo Hassan who solved the problem and got almost everything sorted. My thanks to the people who also contributed.
    I think this is my last Lockdown Puzzle. I'm off to Exmoor tomorrow - my first zoo visit since March 3rd :)

amur leopard, Brum and Mo Hassan like this.