Join our zoo community

Jungle Cat World Jungle Cat World News

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 9 Jun 2014.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The name isn't a literal reference to a very poorly known species of cat, as common sense would dictate.

It's merely a broad based name in reference to cats of the "jungle". Tigers, jags, etc...

2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Can't say I ever like this zoo ever since I visited it in 2016. All the exhibit are too small for the cats if you ask me. It really says something when the (relatively) best best exhibit in my opinion is for donkeys and sheep. Definitely at very the bottom of my zoo rankings.

3. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jungle Cat Wold has a young white lion cub named Aurora available to meet as part of their behind the scenes program. It's not clear where she came from.

4. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

5. TZFan

A ring tailed lemur infant was just born. The baby is so new they do not know if its a boy or girl just yet. There is a photo of mom and baby on their facebook page.

6. TZFan

The zoo had two recent passings. First was wolf, Cheyenne, and the second was spider monkey, Pinky. Both were due to old age.

7. animalman0341

animalman0341 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi everyone! I recently drove by this small zoo in Orono, Ontario and it is still open! I had visited a couple times as a child, but as I grew older I became increasingly aware of the welfare issues that plague this facility. So it was a shock to me that it’s still standing, and you can even see a pair of their lions from the side of the road!

I have two main thoughts that I feel are worth discussing:

1) Seeing as many of the “roadside” zoos I visited as a kid are now defunct, how has this place continued/been allowed to exist? The
    grounds are too small to house even 1/4 of their animals, and many of the cages are are old and overrun with weeds. Yet Cat World possesses a decent and surprising collection of animals (mainly predatory mammals)!

2) If (and hopefully when) this zoo is forced to shut down, they’ll have several species of animals that I think would make great additions to the Toronto Zoo. I’ll provide a full mammal species list (as close as I can get) and highlight some of the animals I think the Toronto Zoo should not only rescue, but create new dynamic exhibits for as they could become new attractions.

Jungle Cat World Mammal Species List:

- African Lion
    - African Lion (White)
    - Amur Leopard
    - Amur Tiger
    - Arctic Wolf
    - Black Handed Spider Monkey
    - Black & White Ruffed Lemur
    - Bobcat
    - Canadian Lynx
    - Cougar
    - Grey Wolf
    - Jaguar
    - Ocelot
    - Red Fox
    - Red Kangaroo
    - Ring Tailed Lemur
    - Serval
    - Snow Leopard
    - Striped Hyena

Last edited: 30 Jun 2020
    Jungle Man and Yi Qi like this.
  8. animalman0341

The Amur Leopard would fit perfectly in Eurasia, adding another spectacular species to the collection. An exhibit could be built on the site of the old Dromedary Camel exhibit (currently empty) or on one of the current mountain goat/sheep exhibits once they die off.

The Black & White Ruffed Lemur would add another representative of Madagascar to the collection, and would compliment the current Ring Tails well. The Aldabra Tortoise outdoor exhibit could be covered in mesh and retrofitted for more lemur space, and outdoor space at that!

The Red Kangaroo could join our current mob of Western Greys until he/she/they pass away. And it would also be educational for guests to see the difference between Kangaroo species in the walkabout exhibit.

The Ocelot would be a much needed upgrade to the America’s, and hopefully a future Tropical America’s Pavillion. I have always found the Toronto Zoos South American collection to be lacking.

Finally, the Striped Hyena! In 2011, Jungle Cat World received 3 pups from a zoo in Italy. As far as I know they are the only ones of their kind in Canada. The Toronto Zoo could make room for this type of addition anywhere! The Watusi exhibit would be my personal choice, but merging the Ostrich with another species and using that space, or creating an entirely new exhibit in that area would also be cool!

Anyway, I just wanted to shed some light on an institution that doesn’t get much coverage yet boasts an impressive species collection. My ideas are purely hypothetical, as I am aware of unknown bloodlines, transfer policies etc. What I do know is that the facility should be closed, and the animals relocated. Why not relocate some of them to the closest AZA facility?

Van Beal and Yi Qi like this.
  9. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree so much with this. The one time I went to it, I swear the cages were real small, like no more then a few metres. The whole place seemed so sketchy, like a it was a field in the middle of nowhere littered with rusting farm equipment, right down to being next to a cemetery.

I do agree wholeheartedly the zoo should be shut down animals should go somewhere else, and I do agree Toronto could take in some of them. You did a very good job of fantasy zooing. My knee jerk idea of where the Hyenas could go would be would be the current Wattled Crane/former Dhole habitat.

10. animalman0341

@Yi Qi Yes! It seems so strange something like that could be open in this day and age. Weird.

That’s not a bad option either! They’ve historically been found in parts of Africa, Europe & Asia so they’re not totally out of place in Eurasia. I would love if the zoo used the area above the Savannah to showcase more African mammals. So they could fit into something like that alongside African Hunting Dog, Somali Wild Ass, Gelada or Hamadryas Baboon. Dream scenario obviously!

ANYTHING would be better than the box they’re currently living in at this point!

Last edited: 30 Jun 2020
    Yi Qi likes this.
  11. TZFan

I have never been to the zoo. Frankly if I'm that close to Toronto I'm going to keep driving to my happy place. But I have seen it from google street view. It is very small and most habitats are vastly undersized. That being said they do have a fairly good relationship with the AZA. Considering how rinky dink it is and under sized it does participate in a few SSPs, Amur Leopard, Snow Leopard, Ocelot and Eurasian Eagle Owl.

Their male white lion also belongs to Toronto. He was adopted alongside Fintan, Makali and Lemon. I don't recall why he's not with them. I think one of the snow leopards is also a Toronto descendant. In the past the zoo used to send more animals to them.

Not really saying its the best place because that would be a lie.

If it were to close as long as the animals went to CAZA zoos I'd be ok with that. Remember if it closes they could sell animals off to the highest bidder and they could end up much worse off.

Toronto wouldn't be interested in much of the stock. When that Quebec zoo was shut down they only took the mouflon and served as emergancy housing for two tigers who were sent south to a sanctuary. When Calgary flooded Toronto took nothing. Granted those who needed homes most were South American animals but they could have taken something. If a tiny zoo like Riverview could find space surely Toronto could have. I can think of reason why each on you list might fail to attract the zoos attention.

- African Lion - Already have a pride
    - African Lion (White) - more likely because they own Gopa but someone else owns the females and they might rather take the pride.
    - Amur Leopard - AZA might push Toronto or Calgary to take them but Granby already has them so they could fit there.
    - Amur Tiger - Are they really Amurs or hybreds? Unless fully traceable just a waste of space.
    - Arctic Wolf - Already have 14 and I have a feeling we are done for awhile.
    - Black Handed Spider Monkey - the zoo was looking to expand the jaguars so they are waiting out our current group.
    - Black & White Ruffed Lemur - Maybe but we already have social problems with the ring tails and we all know how the zoo loves mixed exhibits.
    - Bobcat - Where would we fit it in.
    - Canadian Lynx - Why we have a breeding pair? Theirs probably isnt breedable for the AZA.
    - Cougar - Maybe but only if Bailey and Felicia were dead.
    - Grey Wolf - The old wolf exhibit is unfit for wolves hence the new exhibit in tundra trek.
    - Jaguar - Maybe if Luca and Zambucca were dead but they may want to go back to a breeding pair.
    - Ocelot - There is no exhibit space for them
    - Red Fox - See Ocelot.
    - Red Kangaroo - Maybe they could fit it in with the mob.
    - Ring Tailed Lemur - Again social problems.
    - Serval - With a current plan I have heard of maybe but I wont say more.
    - Snow Leopard - We might take our leopard back but it is an older leopard.
    - Striped Hyena - Woudn't be sad about that but no exhibit space.

In a closure situation you can only look at the space the zoo currently has and if an animal can fit in. Time will be and issue plus costs of retrofitting or building new. It would be a pipe dream to think they will build anything new to take on any other zoos animals in a pinch. That takes time and money the zoo doesn't have (orang exhibit which was originally scheduled for what 2012 and has yet to even start construction). Besides you have to consider the current collection. They won't need to double up on species they already have especially if that would hinder breeding. It would be far more likely for the other zoos who have stepped up in the past to do so again.

Mr Wrinkly, Yi Qi and Jungle Man like this.
  12. animalman0341

@TZFan Thanks for the breakdown! I just want to make it clear that I wasn’t advocating for the zoo to take in all of their animals. I simply believe the zoo should do a better job at taking in animals from other institutions in the region, especially because customs are always used as an excuse for a lack of new additions. This ultimately falls on zoo leadership and the funding they receive from the city. In my opinion there needs to be a serious rethink of our zoological institutions here in Canada. Toronto, Calgary and Granby represent Canada’s premier zoos, and they should be funded by all levels of government in the interest of species preservation, research and education. To think that the only Striped Hyenas in Canada live in a cage the size of a small apartment is a travesty!

The zoo has brought in Watusi, Eland, Caribou and Wildebeest to populate its outdoor spaces. I’m sure people have visited the zoo just to see those new additions, but could you imagine the fan fare of a new, permanent Amur Leopard, Striped Hyena or Ocelot exhibit. Until the Orangutan outdoor exhibit is completed, nothing else should be prioritized at the zoo. Once it is completed however, in a dream scenario, there are species right here in Ontario that would draw crowds and in turn more funding for projects like the Canadian Wilderness, Tropical Americas etc.

Jungle Man and Yi Qi like this.
  13. m30t

m30t Well-Known Member

@animalman0341 I think there are several assumptions in your argument that lead to what I feel are problematic conclusions.

I agree that customs can hinder imports of animals, it's been discussed on other threads in the Canadian forums previously. However, if the Toronto Zoo were to taken in animals from a closing zoo (or hypothetically closing in this case), they would still run into import problems in the future. Take the Striped Hyenas for example, if TZ were to build an exhibit and take in the ones from this facility they would basically be building an exhibit for just these three animals. After they passed, what would you do with their exhibit? You mention the three are siblings so they obviously cannot breed with each other, if you wish to breed them you would need to import more and again, deal with customs. Secondly, your import options would be incredibly limited as there are only a handful of zoos in the US with striped hyenas, as the emphasis is clearly on breeding Spotted Hyenas.

Building new exhibits cost a lot of money, and while it's great to suggest that a new "permanent" Amur Leopard exhibit would bring in enough money to help fund future developments, that does not make the funds for that leopard exhibit automatically materialize. The money needs to be there to build these exhibits, good luck waiting on any level of government in the current fiscal situation to increase funding.
    Of course, if these new exhibits are to be permanent, their will still have to be reliance on imports to maintain genetic diversity and work with the SSPs (intra Canadian transfers can and do help, but there is a limit on how much diversity can be maintained in three or even four facilities). The TZ cannot build a stable, genetically diverse population of animals by taking on animals from closing zoos.

Ultimately a lot of the animals the zoo takes in now are part of their focus on conservation, education and research, which more often involves working with SSPs (I realize there are notable exceptions to this, but I'm hoping they are moving away from that).

Mr Wrinkly likes this.
  14. animalman0341

I am well of aware of all of those issues, I just thought it’d be fun to have the discussions. I fear for the long term health of the Toronto Zoo, as I’ve seen it surpassed by dozens of zoos in the last 15 years. I will refrain from posting ideas like this in the future as they are clearly not valued.

15. TZFan

@animalman0341, hope you didn't take my comments too harshly. I didn't realize you were going the hypothetical route. If we are paying a game of what ifs then I wouldn't have been as critical of your suggestions. I thought you believed it was possible. Not for a moment though did I think you meant they would take in everything. One to maybe three at best would be most zoos across reputable Canadian zoos.

You are most definitely right many of the exhibits there are far less than what should be acceptable.

If we are talking hypothetically and ignoring a lot of the issues I outlined with the species you provided then yes some of the collection would be good to have. I like striped hyenas though if you make me choose I'll vote aardwolf every time. And yes the zoo could and should get Amur Leopards. We have an ideal climate for them. Could we use more lemurs? Gosh yes that exhibit begs for a walk through with at least 4 types of lemur. Do we need more ring tailed? No. But Id be happy to add another species. I believed that is doable but it's Toronto so good luck. We can take in their parrots too because we can never have too many species of bird. If they still have coatimundi I want them too. The ocelots would be a nice addition. If I had the funds to build the exhibits those are the ones I would take for Toronto. I wont get into where they should go because that feels like more of a hypothetical better for a separate Toronto based thread.

16. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

2022 News:

On May 8th, the zoo announced that a (0.1) African (white) lion named Kiara was born in late September 2021 and was put on exhibit in April.

登录 Facebook

On May 26th, the zoo announced that (0.0.2+?) mute swans were hatched.

登录 Facebook

On May 28th, the zoo announced that a (0.1) ring-tailed lemur was born and later named Melody.

登录 Facebook
    登录 Facebook

On June 25th, the zoo announced they acquired a (1.0) red fox named Oliver.

登录 Facebook

On July 4th, the zoo announced that (1.1) black-and-white ruffed lemurs named Ziggy and Zoey were born.

登录 Facebook

On July 27th, the zoo announced they acquired (2.0) eastern timber wolves named Thor and Loki.

登录 Facebook

On October 20th, the zoo announced they acquired a (0.1) red (platinum) fox named Autumn which is now on exhibit.

登录 Facebook

Haliaeetus likes this.
  17. TZFan

Smaggledagle likes this.
  18. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

upload_2023-3-18_21-20-19.png
    I will say - judging from the video, that fence seems a bit risque somehow ...
    Unless lions can't jump very high ?

19. TZFan

Fences should be at least 15 ft high with an angled piece going inside as per the AZA but Jungle Cat World is not an AZA or CAZA member. I would hope its that high but Jungle Cat World doesnt have to follow those rules and because Ontario laws around exotics is weak to non existent there might not be any requirements. Im a terrible judge of measurements so I have no clue how high the fence is. But there is also snow in the exhibit so it could be that its taller than it looks because of the depth of the snow. Its hard to say. But if this is one of the pens you can see in this Google Earth view the lions pen does have a complete chain link fence roof. That doesnt mean that is the exhibit that lion is in.

Google Maps

ifesbob likes this.
  20. dillotest0

dillotest0 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Regardless, there is a large tree in the enclosure rather close to the fence itself ...
    Surely this could be used to good degree ??

ifesbob likes this.