Join our zoo community

Bronx Zoo Jungleworld Bronx Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by aw101, 24 Mar 2008.

1. Ungulate

Ungulate Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group dcamp023.
    The proboscis monkeys (one male at a time) were on exhibit until sometime in 2001 (I last saw them in October 2000, and the Javan langurs had moved in by October 2002). Their last two males, Cyrano and BJ, are both still living - they moved to the Singapore Zoo in 2004. These were the last proboscis monkeys in North America. There was an attempt by several zoos, including the Bronx Zoo and the Toronto Zoo to import some from Surabaya in the early 2000's, which fell through due to the questionable origins of the animals and difficulty in transporting and maintaining them.

The gharials apparently never did well in the large pools system at the end of JungleWorld due to problems regulating the pool temperature. The last one was moved to San Diego in 2003.

2. dcamp023

dcamp023 Well-Known Member

jungle world

do you know if any north american zoos are planning on getting monkeys or are they too hard to keep in captivity

3. Ungulate

To my (limited) knowledge, there are no importation plans for proboscis monkeys. The track record in North America has been pretty poor; only the Bronx Zoo ever had any real success with them.

4. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only birds I could remember of seeing were the bali mynahs. Maybe there were other birds, I just don't have the luck of seeing any.

5. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've often heard the leopard exhibit criticized for it's size and wondered would it be a better exhibit for a small cat species like a fishing cat or leopard cat or something?

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Ituri: you are perfectly correct in assuming that the black leopard exhibit is too small for such a large species. A couple of the photos that I uploaded today show how the enclosure would be much better suited for a fishing cat, binturong, or something of that approximate size.

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Also, does anyone know if the ebony langur exhibit is the former proboscis monkey exhibit?

8. snowleopard

It almost certainly was, and fellow ZooBeat member Zooplantman actually has a few photos of the proboscis monkeys in it.

9. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Snowleopard-Those are some great photoes you took. Thanks a bunch.

10. snowleopard

My pleasure Pat. It was interesting for me to upload loads of shots from both Brookfield Zoo's Tropic World and the Bronx's Jungle World on the same day. I'll eventually get to uploading a massive load of photos from Omaha's Lied Jungle and we can all debate the merits of each...hahaha.

11. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

News from JungleWorld: The Bronx Zoo has experienced mini winter baby boom. Six baby Asian Small Clawed Otters were born recently, I think the mom is Daphne. Also, a baby Matschie's Tree Kangaroo was born, the first and only Matschie's birth of the year!

To sustain the captive tree kangaroo population five to six births are needed each year. In the past four years two to three have been occuring. This group of animals is threatened in the wild and in captivity.

12. Ungulate

Actually, the Lincoln Childrens Zoo in Lincoln, Nebraska also bred Matschie's tree kangaroos this year ... and had twins! (The first recorded instance in this species)

13. Buckeye092

Buckeye092 Well-Known Member

Really? That goods news! I just looked on ISIS (Yay reliability!)

14. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Lincoln Children Zoo?Never heard of it,I guess they must be good though if they had the twins and the species in the first place

15. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

When I went in 2005, there were various species of hornbills and doves in the large exhibit with the otters and ebony langurs, and also fruit bats too and butterflies...

Not sure if that is still the case

16. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I read the other day (as I've been going to the zoo every donation day for the last month...) that there are doves in the formal white gibbon display but I have never seen them

17. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I might be a bit late in this thread considering the last post was in January of '09:cool:, but has the zoo ever considered taking the false gharial out of the reptile house to Jungle world and give the cuban crocodile more room? The theme wouldn't fit exactly in Jungleworld as the painted storks don't live together with false gharials in the wild but they live very close together.
    Thoughts?

18. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Earlier it was mentioned that the gharials didn't fare well in Jungleworld due to difficulties regulating the water temperature. Assuming that problem wasn't solved, the false gharials might not be a viable option. That's also assuming that Malayan gharials are as temperature-sensitive as Indian gharials.... I don't know if that's true.

19. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Are there any birds in JungleWorld?

20. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well I am sure the Bronx zoo has more money now than back when the recession started so maybe that could be a "problem" they could fix right now.