Join our zoo community

Jurassic Park but lets do it right

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by TenCentBeerNightRiot, 28 Apr 2020.

?

Is this idea something you think could be interesting to pursue?

1. Yes

84.2%
  2. No

15.8%
  1. TenCentBeerNightRiot

TenCentBeerNightRiot New Member

Hi all!

I'm new here, but ive been poking around the forum looking for information on a world building project i'm working on.

Basically the goal is to design Jurassic Park, complete with infrastructure, guest accommodation, exhibits, everything but from the perspective of a modern theme-park, a modern research institute capable of bringing these animals back to life, and a modern zoo that that focuses on their welfare as well as the safety of staff, animal, and guests.

Obviously this is both not what the films portray, there is a lot to be improved from both parks (or they wouldn't have failed) But there is also a ton of interesting challenges with the modern zoo and how it would adapt.

How do we conserve extinct animals that cannot ever be released? what does education look like without the question of conserving an animals native habitat with so much of animal education in zoos hinging on that, how do we manage some of the largest, least known, and most potentially dangerous organisms on earth? how do we design a facility that can provide a place where humans can experience animals that do not exist anywhere else on earth?

Some dinosaurs would have to be kept in traditional enclosures, following procedure familiar now, a small raptor would probably be kept much like a monitor or bird of prey depending on the raptor, training with targets and with the positive relationship between it and its keepers enabling it to be cared for safely. Conversely maybe herds of hadrosaurs would find more in common with a national park (or cattle ranch) left to roam with minimum human interaction, only being interrupted by tours at a distance, to care for the sick, and to manage genetics.

How is population managed when an island has a fixed carrying capacity for animals, would there be no breeding as in Jurassic park, or would we have to accept the culling of priceless animals with sub par genetics.

How do we design for the safety of guests, every building being capable of being a dinosaur proof shelter and teams trained to use less lethal and lethal means capable of bringing down a t-rex.

These are some of the unique challenges I've thought of and I would absolutely love any input any of you have of more challenges, solutions, designs, research resources you think would be helpful like books, magazines, videos, movies absolutely anything that can help me assemble a body of knowledge to help me design this park.

Its helpful here to note 2 things, 1. I am in no way a dinosaur or zoo expert merely and enthusiast in both. 2. I sincerely appreciate how much knowledge all of you have and cant wait to hear your thoughts, ideas, collaborations, and etc

2. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

I could probably help with good zoo species. Also I'd probably be able to design good enclosures.

grevy's zebra likes this.
  3. grevy's zebra

grevy's zebra Well-Known Member

I can make the maps, and some exhibits.

4. LowlandGorilla4

I was thinking about different layouts of the zoo. I think we should have a zoo that's open to the public and a "Wilds" style facility that's closed to the public. What do you think?

5. grevy's zebra

I think your thinking of Smithsonian Zoo. The Wilds is open to the public. I agree for a Wilds type zoo, with large, open paddocks for herbivore and carnivores, but the car doesn't go in with the carnivores.

6. LowlandGorilla4

No I mean the facility is like the wilds, but unlike the Wilds, is closed to the public.

7. grevy's zebra

Then it wouldn't be Jurassic Park. How about it is like the Wilds, but it costs more then Disney World for tickets. I can get started with the entrance, and you can start with the aviary

8. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member

Security can be much better. Since most of the big-ticket dinosaurs are quite large, they can't jump, meaning that you can have the same sort of barriers you do for elephants and rhinoceros

Attached Files:

9. LowlandGorilla4

Slightly larger dry moats should also work, but with electrified portions.
    On it.

10. Junklekitteb

Junklekitteb Well-Known Member

First off, are we building a proper Jurassic Park, in world to the films, or a prehistoric zoo? I don't mind either, but I feel we ought to wait for @TenCentBeerNightRiot to confirm and tell us what to do.

11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, eating lawyers has to stay!

12. LowlandGorilla4

I agree, but we could have both, kind of like the situation at San Diego with the Zoo and the Safari Park

13. LowlandGorilla4

Then we wouldn't really be "doing it right":p

14. grevy's zebra

I think that it should stay, mainly insurance lawyers.

Jurek7 likes this.
  15. LowlandGorilla4

We should use this video to help,

Last edited: 2 May 2020
  16. grevy's zebra

I've seen it. Question is, have you?

17. LowlandGorilla4

yeah, that's where I first found out about the AZA and got into making my own zoo a while ago

18. grevy's zebra

Really? When did you first watch it?

19. LowlandGorilla4

4-5 years ago I think, but I've always loved animals but never wanted to open a zoo before. Just have a farm and a couple of exotics. BTW I found out Michigan state has a good Zoology program so I think that's where I'm headed.

20. LowlandGorilla4

Oops, I meant 2 years, I saw a different video 4 years ago