Join our zoo community

Jurong Bird Park Jurong Bird Park has now closed (2023)

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 4 Jan 2023.

1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jurong Bird Park closed to the public for good on 3 January 2023, after 52 years in operation. Park staff are now preparing for the great migration to the new Bird Paradise next to the Singapore Zoo. The Bird Paradise is expected to open sometime between April and June this year, depending on how well the birds settle into their new homes.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/sin...visitors-move-mandai-wildlife-reserve-3180776

I will be (slowly) posting photos of Jurong's main exhibits and features in their final state in the gallery.

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jan 2023
    Mathijs, Ned, Jambo and 12 others like this.
  2. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A sad moment imo. Jurong Bird Park was great (at least one of the best zoological institutions in SEA). I hope they can show the same variability of bird species in the same quality and with the same amount of breeding success on their new location.

Mathijs, CMP, Zooish and 1 other person like this.
  3. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member

RIP Jurong Bird Park. Final species lists would also be good. Hope the new one is just as good, concept art seems to be promising so far but Jurong would be irreplaceable even if I haven't visited it that much

4. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan Active Member

I can share that Bird Paradise will have roughly the same number of species and specimens, but with some groups being more heavily focused while others will either be gradually replaced or moved to other parks within the Mandai Wildlife Reserve.

5. Zooish

I suppose some of the groups being replaced or greatly reduced are the birds of prey and large waterfowl like pelicans and flamingos. Are you at liberty to share if the shoebill pair will remain in Mandai's collection?

Mathijs likes this.
  6. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any hints of an opening date for the new park? I’m hoping to holiday in Singapore in june/July.

Mathijs likes this.
  7. noobmaster69

noobmaster69 Well-Known Member

It's opening around Q2 this year

boof likes this.
  8. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan Active Member

Yes, you are correct. The Shoebills will likely be at Bird Paradise when it opens. Flamingos will see the flock of Greater Flamingos reduced to focus on American and Lesser. Pelicans will be present mostly in the free-flying demonstrations, but also represented in other parks in the precinct. There will be a strong focus on Hornbills, Asian Songbirds, Indo-pacific Columbiformes as well as indo-pacific psittacines and pheasants. The park is set to open in the 2nd quarter of this year.
    The population will have roughly the same number of specimens as Jurong, but there is room for growth, and it will mature in time ;).

JpY, Mathijs, amur leopard and 10 others like this.
  9. Zooish

That's great, I look forward to seeing Zane and Zola again :)

For the Indo-Pacific psittacines, I hope we will get to see the Racquet-tailed Parrots that were promised for Jurong's Wings of Asia but never materialised.

Mathijs likes this.
  10. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Will there still be a good collection of non-Indo-Pacific parrots?

How confident can we be in the '2nd quarter of this year' bit, do you think?

Mathijs likes this.
  11. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

I personally think that "quarter" was given as a broad timespan, meaning they can delay as much as needed

Mathijs likes this.
  12. Zooish

Unless something catastrophic happens, the 2nd quarter target is a safe bet. They have business considerations to open as soon as possible now that revenue from Jurong has ceased.

13. boof

boof Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm planning a holiday in Singapore in early July. I hope theres no delays in opening. I loved the old bird park and I cant wait to see the new one.

ifesbob and Mathijs like this.
  14. JpY

JpY Member

Pleased about the ongoing hornbill focus!