Join our zoo community

Jurong Bird Park Jurong Bird Park news 2014-15

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by zooboy28, 24 Jan 2014.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

Jurong Bird Park News 2014

The Waterfall Aviary was re-launched yesterday, according to this post on the Park's Facebook page. What it doesn't say is what is actually different about the exhibit (apart from the old monorail station becoming a function area). Is it just that a number of non-African species have been added, so it is no longer the African Waterfall Aviary? Also, I don't believe for a moment that it has the world's first man-made waterfall in it, where did they get that idea from? I get that it could be the tallest, but first is ridiculous. Unless it was the first tallest waterfall...

Check out the Facebook post for more details, including photos of the aviary now, and back in the early 1970s: https://www.facebook.com/wrs.sg/tim...&hash=10151858311867051&pagefilter=3&ustart=1

2. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

3. Calyptorhynchus

Calyptorhynchus Well-Known Member

A few updates on Jurong:

2 King Birds-of-Paradise hatched and were hand-raised at the Breeding Centre :)

Also to be seen at the hand-rearing station (not a complete list):

Golden Conures
    Goliath and nominate Palm Cockatoos
    Several macaws (2 Blue-throat, 1 Hyacinth, 1 Scarlet, 5 Blue&Gold, , several Red-shouldered)
    Yellow-bibbed Lories
    Greater Flamingos
    Blue-eye Cockatoos
    Eclectus parrots
    Eleonora Cockatoos
    Dusky-headed Conures

The large flock of flamingos at the lake have at least 20+ chicks roaming around with the parents

Several young Superb and Purple-glossy starlings seen at the Waterfall Aviary

All Sun Conures from Parrot Paradise moved to Jungle Jewels (there are at least 40 birds flying around now, VERY NICE :D...)

The Southeast Asia aviary is closed for repair works. expected to open in November 2014

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

Thank you for this up-date Calyphorhynchus ! Esp. the breeding of the King Bird of Paradise, the Palm Cockatoos and the Eleonora cockatoo are very intresting.

5. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and thinking of coming down to Singapore next week, so just wondering if the Asian Walk Through Aviary is open again?

6. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member

It wasn't when I was there just over a week ago.

7. Jackwow

Thanks Pat

8. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

The park's website says it will reopen on 15 November.

9. Jackwow

I was planning on coming down on 16th but think I'll delay a week just in case.

10. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

The bird park WILL relocate to the Mandai area where the Zoo, Night Safari and River Safari are sited. Below is the excerpt of the Singapore Prime Minister's speech presented at a recent tourism gala dinner:

"We are also dramatically improving our attractions. Next year, the National Gallery will open and will host many shows. We have the River Safari which officially opened this year - it has been very well-received and has complemented the very popular Zoo and the Night Safari. We have bold plans to further develop Mandai. We will develop new attractions, including a new Bird Park to replace the existing one in Jurong. The Bird Park is going to be replaced, the birds will move from Park A to Park B. We will integrate the new Bird Park and the new attractions with the Zoo, the Night Safari, and the River Safari into a nature themed destination for recreation and education. We will create public spaces, linking up to surrounding green belts, including nature trails around the reservoir and the waterfront and create something special for Singaporeans and visitors. That is quite a big project."

11. zooboy28

Is there any indication when Jurong will close?

12. Jackwow

I have emailed them to see if they can confirm Nov 16th opening, so will wait and see.

13. Jackwow

Response received as follows,

"With regards to your enquiry, we would like to inform you that the re-opening of the South East Asian aviary has been deferred.

Tentatively, it is expected to re-open in early December 2014."

I think tentatively is the most significant word in the reply.

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

perhaps they consider it to be not worth re-opening that aviary if the park is to move location.....

15. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

@Chlidonias: i doubt they would leave it closed. The move will probably happen 5 to 7 years later. I guess it is just a construction delay.

16. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

Likely in the next 5 to 7 years. The development plans for the Mandai area are still being deliberated. We'll probably get a confirmation next year.

17. zooboy28

Thanks Zooish, no need to panic then! :D

18. Calyptorhynchus

Wingss of Asia

The newly renovated Asian Bird aviary is going to be called Wings of Asia and its supposed to open in early December (1st week). There were some construction delays but I was told the birds will start moving in next week.
    Regarding the collection, it will be pretty much the same as the old aviary plus some new species (unsure which).
    There will also be 2 crane (Manchurian and White Nape) exhibits on the outside.

I believe the park will be around for at least 3-5 years so in the meantime I guess no new exhibits, but just minor touch-ups. Hopefully the new park will be even better than the current one (which it to me the best WRS park), and not follow the same lower standards of recent WRS events (River Safari). Fingers crossed

19. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member

Last edited: 6 Dec 2014
  20. Calyptorhynchus

January will see the official launch of the aviary, but the aviary is slated to open to the public on December 15th 2014. Apparently some of the birds are still in quarantine, but most will be out.
    I'll try to visit next week and give a general feedback ;)