Join our zoo community

Kaeng Krachan National Park

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by animalszoos, 17 Apr 2017.

1. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A few questions regarding Kaeng Krachan National Park:
    - Has anyone visited the park?
    - How easy is it to spot mammals/birds? Are there any hides? Does the jungle make it difficult for spotting?
    - Are there a variety of mammals?
    - How guaranteed are mammal sightings?
    - Do some of the mammals venture outside the park?
    - Does the park offer many diurnal, nocturnal and crepuscular mammals?

I have read some information about the park on their website, however I would appreciate a zoochatters perspective.

Please feel free to share your answers to these questions even if you went for different purposes (other than mammal watching). I am also interested in answers to the questions above but birds instead (especially raptors, hornbills and mainly non-passerines).

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I have just (as in, less than two weeks ago) visited Kaeng Krachan National Park and I am uploading pictures from my visit right this second. I've written a blog-thing about my trip including to Kaeng Krachan National Park here: LaughingDove Visits Thailand which I'm sure you've seen since you're posting in the same forum, and the pictures from my visit are currently being uploaded here: Thailand - Wildlife - Photo Galleries | ZooChat. Have a read of those three posts that I've written about Kaeng Krachan and if you still have questions or have new questions I'll try to answer them. For information about birds, have a look at this page: Bird Watching at Kaeng Krachan National Park

animalszoos likes this.
  3. animalszoos

animalszoos Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Great, thanks!
    Just a question about birdwatching: On the THAI NATIONAL PARKS website, there is a long list of bird species in Kaeng Krachan including many Falconiformes and some Ciconiiformes as well as a few Pelecaniformes. Did you spot any birds in these orders while at Kaeng Krachan?

Last edited: 17 Apr 2017
  4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Here is my Kaeng Krachan list: 2017 Big Year

For pelicans and storks a dense rainforest like Kaeng Krachan is not the best so if you really want to see those birds I'd try a different site in Thailand. I saw tons of storks at Bang Pra Non-hunting Area but if you're planning to visit zoos in Thailand as well then you'll see loads of storks and probably pelicans at Dusit or Khao Kheow Zoo.

animalszoos likes this.