Join our zoo community

Kagu and Horned parakeets

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 23 Jun 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

We've been talking about this on another thread, but that was about it in European zoos. What zoos worldwide, hold the Kagu? I think San diego holds them and I know that Walsrode does, but are there any Australian zoos with the species? You are so near New Caledonia!!
    But then as New Caledonia is Owned by France, I can see Why a private french breeder has lots of them. Unfortuneatly, he is selfish and will not let his birds anywhere near Walsrodes.
    Then there is the horned parakeet. On one website it showed about 4 U.S Zoos having the species. This has now dwindled to 1, San diego. I have seen them at the zoo, and they are a magnificent bird. What other zoos hold them?

2. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

The North Zealand Birdpark in Denmark holds horned parakeets. The website is in Danish, but click on "Parkens dyr" then "Papegøjer" and scroll down.

3. Writhedhornbill

What zoos hold Kagus then?

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In europe it's allready mentioned:

Wuppertal
    Berlin Zoo
    Paris Jardin des plantes
    Walsrode

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A few years ago I recall seeing something about a private breeder in Switzerland who had Horned Parakeets.

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

in Rosemary Low's 1986 "Parrots: their care and breeding" she says "Since the 1970s [horned parakeets] have been bred regularly in Switzerland and Germany [by private aviculturists]"

7. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

Could someone please post again the link giving the name of that private French kagu breeder? A friend of mine is trying to contact that man. Thanks in advance.

8. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

If you would like to see a kagu very close, next time you are at the San Diego Zoo--just past the Polar Bear Plunge to your right (heading away from the skyfari, toward the freeway beyond the zoo), there is what appears to be just a service road, but there is also a wonderful row of aviaries down that way that few visitors know exists. The old Chinese monal male is there (on my last visit in May 2007), along with Cabot's/Blyth's tragopans, birds of paradise, and a lone kagu (among other species).

It is great to just sit there and watch theses rare and exquisitely beautiful species without any other visitors around. That whole aviary is a great, quiet spot to take photos (through the wire), sketch, and observe...

I know that some birds were recently moved to a renovated area--I'm not sure if that includes the lone kagu.

When you are done at that row of aviaries, you can walk back down the side road, go past the Grevy's zebras, then head down the steep hill to the raptor aviaries-- and watch the Lammergeier!

Last edited: 13 Apr 2008
  9. Writhedhornbill

Kifaru, do you have any photos of the Chinese monal?

10. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

Of all the birds in that secluded row of aviaries, the old Chinese monal is the hardest by far to photograph. I'll look through my photos and see what I can come up with. The problem with the monal is that he is extremely territorial (or over-friendly)--if he sees you coming over his way with camera at the ready, he pops up as close to the wire as he can get, vocalizes, and paces. A monal pressed against wire (making it impossible to focus through the netting) does not make a very attractive photo! I didn't want to agitate him further, so I just left him alone. Very frustrating. I'll be going back soon and will try again. I did, however, get some great kagu and tragopan shots--focused through the wire. You'll need a fast lens if there are any clouds about, as it is rather dark in those aviaries...

The arctic waterfowl pool at Polar Bear Plunge is also great for getting good photos of...harlequin ducks!

Last edited: 13 Apr 2008
  11. Writhedhornbill

Could I use the pictures on my site?

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Somewhere in my files, I have some old shots of kagu taken at the Jardin des Plantes, Paris in 1972 - and, if I remember correctly, another shot from Frankfurt the following year.
    But I have never seen a horned parakeet :(

Alan

13. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

@Writhedhornbill: I have a photo of two kagus in Wuppertal Zoo if you are interested...

14. Writhedhornbill

Yes, that sounds good!

If you email them to me, I could take a look!

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I expect there are some in Sebbe's private bird collection in Burma? ;)

16. Sun Wukong

@gentle lemur: Try Wuppertal, Walsrode and Mulhouse for Horned parakeets. Wuppertal even keeps them together with the kagus.

Now back to my question: can anyone remember in which thread the link naming the French private kagu owner was mentioned?

17. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

long time no see Sun

Dr Henri Quinque - I think it was pedro who posted the information so he may have contact info

18. Sun Wukong

@Pygathrix: Thanks for noticing ;)-and Thanks a lot for the name. I'll contact pedro.

19. kifaru

kifaru Well-Known Member

Googling Dr Henri Quinque, I found this:

Conservatoire Animalier

But the Quinque website listed there no longer seems to work.

Sounds very interesting though...

20. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know if the Kagus at San Diego are still on exhibit and if so, where?

Also, I specifically remember San Antonio Zoo having a single Horned Parakeet a few years back. I only saw it once, and the next time I was there it was gone and there was no mention of it on the zoo's website anymore.