Join our zoo community

Kamogawa Sea World Kamogawa Sea World

Discussion in 'Japan' started by kiang, 27 Oct 2008.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A first for Japan a second generation killer whale on the mothers side has been born at the aquarium last Monday

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

here is a link to the website with a pic of the baby in there, and if anyone can translate Japanese that would be great too

Š›ìƒV[ƒ[ƒ‹ƒh

3. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

That's great news, Orcas are always a creature that is in the back of my mind as amazing,
    This birth is great for the species,

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Bagger Jan

Bagger Jan Well-Known Member

On May 23,2018 the aquarium reports the birth of an Pacific white-sided dolphin - this is the third success in Kamogawa (the first one in 2006)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. csartie

csartie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Beluga whales Nīna and Bītsu delivered calves on July 22nd and 28th. Nīna's calf, the first born in Kamogawa's history, is going on public display tomorrow, while Bītsu's is being handraised behind the scenes. Both calves are female.

Both of the mothers are from the group of 18 whales captured in 2006, 2010, and 2011 and originally intended for import by Georgia Aquarium; SeaWorld backed out when it became clear that the import wouldn't go through, but they were previously slated to receive 11 of the 14 surviving whales (6 to San Antonio, 3 to San Diego, 2 to Orlando). At least one of the whales would have gone to Shedd Aquarium, while all of the animals were to be owned by Georgia.

The permit for their import to the United States was denied in September 2015, and Kamogawa received at least seven (2.3.2) of the whales in July 2016.

Kamogawa now holds a total of 3.6 belugas (1.1 imported in 1988 and 1990; 2.3 imported in 2016; and 0.2 born in 2021).

鴨川シーワールド ベルーガの赤ちゃん誕生 水族館展示 | 鴨川シーワールド-東京・千葉の水族館テーマパーク

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Proof you can breed the critters in captivity quite fine.

csartie likes this.
  10. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

I see it a little differently - One swallow does not make a summer. What should two births prove ? Have you ever asked yourself how many beluga calves died immediately after birth or shortly thereafter ? Too many, far too many. Bottlenose dolphins are breeding in the 7th generation, but in the case of the beluga it is still necessary to remove animals from the wild and confine them in small concrete tanks - for what? In the interest of the animals ? But I forgot, zoo-enthusiasts do not criticize such a procedure, but look for irrelevant, pretextual arguments to defend it.

And as next (wrong) argument then comes, that the animals feel well in "captivity", because "only animals, which feel well, also reproduce". Even more wrongly it does not go any more, but unfortunately this weak-minded opinion still ghosts in innumerable heads of many people, inclusive zoo people, around and is apparently not eradicate. In any case, I can eat animals from factory farming with a clear conscience, gawk at elephants in the zoo and circus and wear fur clothing - the animals all feel good, because they breed. Of course, I could say that children were also born in the German concentration camps, fatherd there, but that would be a bad comparison, wouldn't it? But at the end of the day, man is only what a rat is - a mammal. But unlike humans, a rat colony stops reproducing as soon as the environment in which it lives no longer allows it. Biologically speaking, but in terms of behavior and reproductive strategy, humans are far away from being mammals.

"I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure.

- Agent Smith to the Man Morpheus.

Master Windu woluld now say : AGREE !;)

Well then, my best congratulations to Kamogawa on this extraordinary breeding success. It only took 33 years and the life of several beluga whales.:):):)

Very wise and sensible decision of the US government. I hope they will prohibit any further import of wild caught cetaceans in the future - best, that of elephants at the same time.

11. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What about wild elephants that are in regions of drought or such whose options are either being taken from a zoo or being euthanized?

Neil chace likes this.
  12. csartie

Your post comes across as you proposing bottlenose dolphins as an example of success with a captive population (I'm not sure if this was intentional) vs belugas as a failure, when the exact same qualities apply to both species. Several beluga calves have died after birth. Infinitely many more bottlenose calves have died immediately after birth. Many lions, tigers, snakes, rats, mice, etc die immediately after birth. Animals that have been bred in captivity for 10+ generations. Why are bottlenose dolphins confined in 'small' concrete tanks? Does their reproductive success warrant it moreso than with belugas?

Survival rate of captive-born belugas and bottlenose dolphins are incredibly similar -- in fact, belugas have the slight advantage. 74% of beluga calves are born and survive their first year, and 73% of bottlenose calves.

It's important to consider that belugas have never been collected in the same mass numbers as bottlenoses. Is it possible that belugas may have been bred into the 7th generation by now with the same ocean-wide gene pool and sheer numbers that bottlenose dolphins have on their side? I'd say it's a very likely possibility.

I always find it intriguing when zoo enthusiasts, ardent fans of something which began in the form of the menagerie with little resemblance to modern standards of animal welfare, forget how capable of progress zoological sciences are. If there are any identifiable concerns with the health or sustainability of a species living in captivity, are we not capable of resolving it? I don't personally believe that the field has stagnated beyond the point of any future progress.

However, from the viewpoint of someone who is against captivity on a moral basis, or who disagrees with certain aspects of the industry, I absolutely sympathize. Perhaps the creation of the zoo was a wrong in the first place which is by now long been grandfathered in and difficult to 'correct', as a multi-billion dollar global industry. Many would argue such. There's a wide spectrum of zoological stance and I don't want to discredit anyone's ideas, so long as they don't stray from fact.

PossumRoach likes this.
  13. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

csartie likes this.
  14. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Surprising to see her finally turning 10! I remember when she was only young.

The plan is for to be sent to Suma Aqualife Park in the near future.

Ebirah766 likes this.
  15. csartie

They have not confirmed which of their whales will be going to Kobe Suma Sea World in Sep-Oct of 2023 yet, anything saying otherwise is just speculation

16. Jambo

There was a Japenese article I found a while back that detailed the plan was for Ran and Luna to be sent. Of course that was the plan, but plans do change. I guess we'll find out next year.

17. csartie

Please do link this article if you happen to find it again -- I've been following this project closely and have never seen any public release of who is planned to go, and regulars are unaware as well

18. Jambo

Sure.

The article I read was more so a journal type of article (it definitely wasn't from a newspaper). This was back a few years ago when I was doing a lot of research on the captive orcas during lockdown!

I'll see if I can find it again, but it was in Japanese if that helps.

csartie likes this.