Join our zoo community

Kaniva Rotary Fauna Park

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MRJ, 14 Apr 2015.

1. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Kaniva is located in the west of Victoria, in fact it is the last substantial town on the Western Highway before the Victorian / South Australian border. It is about half way between Melbourne and Adelaide.

The fauna park is located on the left hand side of the Western Highway as you drive west towards Adelaide, next to the railway overpass. It appears to have been established by and is being run by the local Rotary club. It has been open since at least the 1980's.

It is a fenced retanngular block of about one acre which is lightly timbered. At the front there is a shelter for visitors with some basic Infomation. On the inside of the fence at that point is a reasonably sized aviary containing a large number of regent parrots and three red-tailed black cockatoos.

The fence is a standard chain link affair about 2 metres high. Inside the enclosure I saw two grey kangaroos, two fallow deer, an emu, a black swan, a red necked wallaby and a peafowl.

There is a second slightly smaller enclosure adjacent that does not seem to be used, and also a small wetland next to it.

It Is not possible to enter, so there is no admission charge. However there is a facility to donate coins to 'help feed the animals'.

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Moderator Staff Member

I've stopped here a couple of times. I'm not sure it really helps the town at all, but it makes a good place to get out and stretch.

The aviary is large but bare, whereas the other enclosure is basically a bit of fenced woodland, so perfectly suits the emu and kangaroo I saw in there (although they're not at all easy to see). There was a little walking trail around the wetland that I didn't have time to explore, but that looks like it could be quite nice. Overall though, the exhibits are fairly cheap and basic looking.

3. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

Images up in photo gallery