Join our zoo community

Kansas City Zoo Kansas City Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 27 Jan 2009.

1. yangz

yangz Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does Kansas City Zoo still have black-backed jackals? Last I was there, which was October of 2007, they have the african wild dogs in place of the jackals. ISIS still list them as having a pair. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, the jackals are still present but they are rotated on and off exhibit with the african wild dogs

3. yangz

Thank you Zoogoer2000. So does you or anyone know about the rotation schedule or do I need to contact someone there about when the jackals will be on display?

4. ANyhuis

ANyhuis Well-Known Member

I think this has always been the way KC has done this exhibit. I was there back in the late 90s and it was rotating, with signs for both the jackals and the wild dogs at the same exhibit.

I'm seeing more and more of this rotating of animals lately. Two weeks ago I was at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo and noticed that they rotate cheetahs and hyenas in the same exhibit.

5. yangz

I was just in Tampa this May and you are right, they have the striped hyenas in the morning and by afternoon cheetahs.

6. Budorcas

Budorcas Active Member

Wild Dog/Jackal schedule

I don't know if it's like this every day, but when I was at KC yesterday, the wild dogs were out in the morning, and the jackal was out in the afternoon. It was nice to see a jackal, not too many around anymore.

7. yangz

Thank you Budorcas. This will give me the general idea of what to look for.

8. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There is an interesting, 30-minute, interview with Kansas City Zoo Director Randy Wisthoff on the website "America's Zoo Scoop". There are some intriguing details revealed in terms of the choice of species within the Tropics building, and it is similar to what the Bronx Zoo did with Madagascar. A 100 year-old structure is revitalized!

10. The KCZooman

The KCZooman Well-Known Member

From okapikr This pdf file has an article about the new tropics building, its layout, and some history.

http://www.buildersassociation.org/s...ay-June_09.pdf

The article also mentions that the building renovation has allowed for future expansion to occur on the northside of the existing structure.

From snowleopard There is an interesting, 30-minute, interview with Kansas City Zoo Director Randy Wisthoff on the website "America's Zoo Scoop". There are some intriguing details revealed in terms of the choice of species within the Tropics building, and it is similar to what the Bronx Zoo did with Madagascar. A 100 year-old structure is revitalized!

Thank you both for the additional information. As a fan of the Kansas City Zoo, I would to know as much as I can about the inner-workings of the zoo's masterplan and you two sources were of big help to me.

11. The KCZooman

12. The KCZooman

13. ANyhuis

KCZooman, has the Zoo staff ever discussed finding a way to keep your glorious African area open during the winter? (or at least a part of it?) It just seems a shame to me -- I rated this exhibit the #3 exhibit in the nation, but sadly it's closed for 1/3 of the year. But I suppose most of those animals can't handle the winter cold. Perhaps there could be a way for visitors to go see them in the winter holding facilities?

14. The KCZooman

From ANyhuis: KCZooman, has the Zoo staff ever discussed finding a way to keep your glorious African area open during the winter? (or at least a part of it?) It just seems a shame to me -- I rated this exhibit the #3 exhibit in the nation, but sadly it's closed for 1/3 of the year. But I suppose most of those animals can't handle the winter cold. Perhaps there could be a way for visitors to go see them in the winter holding

Good question ANyhuis. Actually, the Africa area was used to be open all year until the current director and staff decided to make it seasonal to make up for the zoos' budget shortfall.

I've read something about the zoo giving tours in the holding areas but it was during the summer for at least one day and it was not in the Africa area.

I think the zoo is focusing it's efforts on adding new animals and attractions close to the entrance for now, but they have talked about turning the Kenyan market in Africa into a safari lodge complex with a new giraffe exhibit and rental space sometime in the near future.

15. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Well, all they need are Okapi and they will pretty much have the most complete african collection in North America

16. The KCZooman

17. mike33

mike33 New Member

18. KCDocent

KCDocent Member

The zoo had all time record attendance Saturday Nov 7th! Over 12,000 people, only one day has beat that, the day Africa opened!

19. ANyhuis

That's great news, but WHAT was the occasion that caused such a big attendance? Any idea? Was it just nice weather?

20. KCDocent

KCDocent Member

We had a pumpkin smashing event that is always popular and it was in the 70's! Also, not a lot of other activities for families going on in the metro last weekend.