Join our zoo community

Kansas City Zoo Kansas City Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 27 Jan 2009.

1. The KCZooman

The KCZooman Well-Known Member

2. tim b

tim b Well-Known Member

I visited KC zoo for the only time back in May and thought the new tropical house conversion to be pretty poor- far too many animals crammed in-particularly the South American exhibit and a real lack of height on climbing facilities for the guenons.Cant see the fuss over that African trek either to be honest,very understocked in places,the main savanah was a dirt track and the chimps were so far away that they looked like crows in Canada- if i DONT want to see animals i will go on safari thanks very much.I reviewed my 16 zoo tour of the midwest in our newsletter Zoo Grapevine and old KC didnt come out too well im afraid.Sorry.

3. The KCZooman

The KCZooman Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the Kansas City Zoo in three years so I can't comment on the Tropics exhibit. From the pictures I've seen, its not what I imagine, but a lot of people seem to like it.

I personally like the African section, though I heard usual complaints about this are (lack of animals, long walkways, etc).

Fortunately, the zoo recognize it's flaws and is doing everything it can to provide a great zoo experience for all who come. Hopefully, you can come back in a few years and see all the improvements for yourself.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I get the impression that with all new exhibits there is a way to learn the exhibit. Personally, I do find an exhibit where you really have to look for the animals very interactive and enjoyable. But I can imagine that some folks do not ...

What photo material I have seen of KC Zoo, I find they have done an amazing job from way back where it was years ago .... So, I just keep an open mind and hope some time to be able to visit meself (beware rhino, beware ..).

5. zoogeek

zoogeek Well-Known Member

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

This summer there is a new polar bear exhibit opening at the Kansas City Zoo (with only a single male bear), while the summer of 2011 will feature a Sky Safari ride over the zoo's 17-acre African Savanna. Aerial rides are great moneymakers, as according to the article they pay for themselves after only four years:

KC Zoo to add aerial tram over Africa plains exhibit - KansasCity.com

8. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

The article about the Sky Safari begins "Purists may groan about it...", count me among them, this cheap addition sounds like it will deteriorate the visual quality of the middle of this nice large complex. However, the route will only cross through or near a few of the field exhibits.

This is one of the exhibits for antelope, including scimitar-horned oryx; the article describes the route as going over this:
    [​IMG]

This is the exhibit for giraffe and zebra, and it looks like it will be crossed as well:
    [​IMG]

It will certainly be a scenic route, even if it chews up some of the scenery by its presence!

Last edited: 25 Jun 2010
  9. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

10. blospz

blospz Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Snowleopard, I'm interested in hearing your opinion of the last photo that shows a little of the exhibit. In particular, the fake ice/snow they have planted on the rocks. While I admire the effort, the look of it is somewhat tacky for me, almost like a huge bunch of birds flew overhead and stained the rocks.

11. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

blospz, I agree, that photo makes it look like there is not enough of the fake icemelt to be convincing, and visually it looks a bit sporadic. It is a fine line to walk, remember the old polar bear exhibits that were entirely fake white? Specifically, at San Diego Zoo?

12. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Looks like there may be a lack of natural substrate.

Edit: Mike is right that there is some grass/dirt plus the sand pit.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2010
  13. mike33

mike33 New Member

14. sitatunga

sitatunga Active Member

Colorado Springs, Colorado. United States
    Definately, reminds me of Polar Bear Plunge.

15. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

Last edited: 24 Nov 2010
  17. KCZooFan

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Normally, I would not get toooo excited over Californian sea lions .... BUT!!! ;) I had no idea whatsoever that sea lions are under that amount of stress on the Californian coastline. At this rate of females dropping their pups on beachfronts in stead of far out rookeries ...., they will be (habitat disturbance or food shortage wise ALREADY) an endangered species! That should be a concern to all of us!!! :(

Incidentally: any news on new exciting births?
    Other interesting goings and comings of new animals ...???

19. KCZooFan

I know there as been alot of questions on the subject of the rotating black-backed jackals, but I recently contaced the zoo, and they let me know that they no longer have the jackals on exhibit.

20. KCZooFan

Kansas City now has 2,398 pictures in the gallery, making the zoo with the 5th most pictures! It is ahead of zoos such as London and San Diego. About a month ago there was just a few hundred pics!