Join our zoo community

Kansas City Zoo Kansas City Zoo Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by KCZooFan, 22 Dec 2010.

1. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

This is my first review, let me know what you think:)

Kansas City Zoo is one of my favorite zoos. Though the collection cannot compete with nearby zoos (Sedgwick County, St. Louis, and Omaha), the exhibitory is incredible. It is home to some of the largest exhibits in the country. The Africa section is absolutely brilliant, but the rest of the zoo has some catching up to do. Overall, it is defiantly a good zoo, but still cannot compete with the “giants” of North America.
    Africa
    Africa is huge, bigger than many zoos. Its immersion is very subtle, but believable. The whole area is open, but surrounded by a forest, and one side has tall hills, giving a calm and reclusive atmosphere. It is split into 5 sections, representing countries: Botswana, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and The Congolese Forest. A tram will transport you through Botswana, and drop you off in Nairobi Market in Kenya. A mile long loop circling a lake takes you around the exhibit. A boat travels across this lake from Nairobi market to near the hippo exhibit, but this only cuts off about a fourth or less of the walking, skipping the Uganda section. Most exhibits are spaced widely apart from each other, and have a variety of display techniques.
    Botswana
    Botswana is home to two exhibits. The smaller one is a large valley exhibit home to black-necked swans, a mute swan, lesser flamingos, and Chilean flamingos. The main attraction, however, is African elephants. The all-female heard can be seen in a quarter mile long, 4.5 acre exhibit, complete with a watering hole. The main walk can be skipped, however, by a shortcut created in 2007, that leads visitors right to the end of the elephant exhibit. Botswana can be seen by tram also, but the animals can be viewed for only a short time, making walking preferable. At the end of Botswana is a long bridge over the Blue river, leading to Nairobi Market in Kenya.
    Kenya
    Kenya starts with an authentic African village. It can be reached by crossing Botswana on foot, or by tram. Nairobi Village is home to a restaurant, bar/boat house, snack stand, gift shop, tram station, and small aviary with masked lovebirds and a white-cheeked turaco. Also here, is a viewing deck onto the incredible 17 acre African plains exhibit. This large, grassy exhibit can be seen from several points around Kenya. Living on this immense savannah are gray corwned cranes, common elands, scimitar-horned oryxes, lesser kudu, and springbok. As you begin the loop, the first exhibit you come to is a huge, long, cheetah exhibit that can be seen from several places, including a viewing cave and behind the warthogs, cresting an interesting predator/prey panorama. The sunken warthog exhibit is average at best, and quite muddy. It is from here that you can reach the Congolese Forest (more on that later). A large wetlands exhibit is home to saddle-billed storks. Several pools covered in duckweed fill this exhibit. A Bomas village, complete with huts, has two above-average aviaries for lappet-faced vultures and Bateleur eagles. Large pens also house red-flanked duikers, blue duikers, and Aldabra giant tortoises. A walkthrough scrubland aviary has a few pools, as well as trees for the birds. Several species of birds, such as cattle egrets, hottentot teals, marbled ducks, white-faced whistling ducks, rose-ringed parakeet, white-cheeked turaco, bare-faced go-away-bird, white-headed buffalo weaver, and superb starling call this exhibit home. Two small, side exhibits house red-ruffed lemurs and silvery-cheeked hornbills. The last exhibit is a quite large one for southern ground hornbills.
    Tanzania
    The first part of Tanzania is a kopje exhibit. Mostly, large, spacious exhibits are a carved into the rock. Meerkats is habit two large, rocky exhibits, white greater galagos and black-footed cats have small exhibits carved into the boulders. Bat-eared foxes, black-throated monitors, and servals all have spacious exhibits on realistic-looking (fake) rock. An enormous aviary for rock hyraxes and masked lovebirds has plenty of climbing spaces for the hyraxes. The main exhibit here is an enormous lion exhibit. This can be seen from across a moat in several locations, or inside a building through glass. It is the best lion exhibit I’ve ever seen, and offers views of the antelope for the lions. A long, wooded bridge leads you to the other side of Africa. The first exhibit visible is a large, muddy exhibit for black rhinos. Up ahead is a mixed species savannah for Masai giraffes, Grant’s zebras, and ostriches. Though much smaller and less grassy than the other savannah, it is still a good exhibit. A side trail leads over the Gomber stream to what may be Kansas City’s best exhibit; a three acre chimpanzee exhibit. 17 chimps are free to roam a great hillside exhibit, complete with tons of trees to climb. They can be seen from across a moat, or inside a building from behind glass. Back on the main loop, the path passes by large exhibits for secretary birds (viewing is quite poor), a kori bustard, and leopard tortoises. A building has underwater views of a slender-snouted crocodile exhibit. Further on is a (smallish) hippopotamus exhibit that offers overviews of the lake and giraffe exhibit.
    Uganda
    Uganda is home to two exhibits. It is set in a temperate forest. A theater and overlook of the giraffe exhibit is set here. The first exhibit is an average African wild dog (formerly black-backed jackals [formerly African crested porcupines]) exhibit. The main attraction here is a 1.5 acre guinea baboon exhibit. The large family group of baboons can often be seen playing is this amazing exhibit.
    Congolese Forest
    The Congolese Forest is located deep in the Missouri forest, giving the feel of a rainforest. You can reach it from a very large, nearly 100 year old swinging bridge. Both red-capped and black mangabeys have large, mesh exhibits to climb in. A leopard has an exhibit that allows it to cross over visitors head, a cool idea, but too small. A boardwalk goes through average exhibits for African crowned cranes, bongos, yellow-backed duikers, and a nice one for red river hogs. The main exhibit is a 3 acre western lowland gorilla exhibit. The exhibit is easily visible and offers plenty of trees for the apes to climb. They can be seen from above on a boardwalk, or a cave-like viewing shelter.
    Australia
    Australia starts with a restaurant and train station. The first exhibit is a large woodland aviary with pools and streams. Animals include eclectus parrots, white cockatoo, sulfur-crested cockatoo, straw-necked ibis, black swan Australian shelduck, chestnut teal, smew (oddly enough), silver gull, pied imperial pigeon, and wompoo fruit dove. Up ahead are large exhibits for emu and New Guinea singing dogs. A nice exhibit for parma and red-necked wallabies cannot hardly be seen. A aviary like walk-through enclosure houses Matschie’s tree kangaroos. A sheep station has two buildings; a replica of an Australian farmhouse and a museum with artifacts and exhibits for laughing kookaburras and a couple of snake exhibits. Domestic sheep can be found wandering around the farm. A big exhibit houses dromedary camels. The whole loop surrounds a massive red kangaroo exhibit, with over 50 of the marsupials.
    Entrance
    Though formerly a scar on the zoo, the new entrance is very attractive. It consist of two buildings (formerly one). The building on the left is the learning center, while the one on the righ houses a gift shop, restaurant, and restrooms, as well as the administration offices. A curving wetland exhibit is home to trumpeter swans, as well a wild ducks and turtles. A large, rocky, exhibit is home to North American river otters. They can be seen behind glass either on the land, or underwater in a large, filtered pool. The main attraction of this area is Polar Bear Passage, a brand new exhibit opened for “Nikita”, the polar bear. The bear has a large land area, and a sand pit. He can also swim in a 130,000 gallon pool, which can be viewed underwater in a large viewing shelter.
    Tropics
    Tropics is in a small, hundred year old building, formerly home to the zoo’s entire collection. It is not an indoor rainforest at all like the ones in Omaha of the Bronx, but simply features some tropical animals. Exhibits include an aviary for green aracari and freshwater stingray. Another exhibit is home to a playful pair of golden lion tamarins. White-cheeked gibbons and Asian small-clawed otters live in an Asian exhibit. The gibbons can pass over the visitor walkway, while the otters can swim underneath it. A mixed-species South American exhibit is home to prehensile-tailed porcupines, white-faced sakis, capybaras, and crested screamers. A mixed-species African exhibit is home to African spurred tortoises, mona monkeys, and blue monkeys. This exhibit was built for the zoo’s 100 year anniversary.
    KidZone
    KidZone is basically a mix of exhibits, such as a small California sea lion pool, walkthrough lorikeet feeding cage, small snake house, snack stand, carousel, abandoned great ape house, and exhibits for miniature pigs, miniature goats, koi, donkeys, llamas, and fallow deer. A memorable place is the two-story Discovery Barn, with nice exhibits for meerkats, macaws, Prevost’s squirrels, ring-tailed lemurs, squirrel monkeys, and small frog exhibits. Most of the exhibits have play structures near then, as well as a slide from one story to the next. Next to the Discovery Barn is the Peek-a-Boo Tree, a large tree-like playing structure with slides and stuff. Also nearby is a traditional playground.
    Tropical Animals
    Tropical animals is a small row of exhibits for spectacled owls, black-billed magpies, green iguanas, common peafowl, golden lion tamarins, red-handed tamarins, Brazilian agoutis, green-winged macaws, military-macaws, and chestnut-mandibled toucans. The exhibits are small but lushly planted.
    Tiger Trail
    Even I cannot complement this exhibit. Average cages house francois langurs/red pandas, wreathed hornbills, demoiselle cranes, golden pheasants, and a binturong. An indoor tunnel houses red pandas/francois langurs and Bali mynahs. Two Sumatran tigers live in a dreadfully small exhibit, next to a horrible “Primadome” bird cage exhibit for orangutans. This area is a great stain on this zoo, and should be demolished soon. An Asian waterfowl exhibit is found near the Great Ape House, featuring common shelducks, mandarin ducks, and Manchurian cranes.
    Summary
    The zoo is great, one of the best. Africa is awesome, Australia is good, the rest is pretty average, and Tiger Trail is horrible. Over 101 years old, this zoo has a rich history, and will hopefully have a rich future. It is a must see for anyone not afraid of some walking.

2. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the excellent review!

3. KCZooFan

Thanks siamang27! I hope to be writing some more soon.

4. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you for the review, I have been there and appreciate your organized and descriptive thoughts. I love reviews, keep them coming!

5. KCZooFan

Thank you geomorph. As the best review writer on this site, your complements mean a lot :)

6. Baldur

Baldur Well-Known Member

The three reviews you have written to date are very fine, but remember that writing is something that takes your whole life to perfect, and even a whole life may often not be enough. I'm still uncomfortable about writing zoo reviews, even if I'm trying these days to get three together for a British zoo magazine, but then I have to write in a language other than my own, which makes it harder.

Once you get older, you'll get better in critical thinking and a review of Kansas City Zoo you'll write in 10 years time may not sound nearly the same, even if the zoo itself won't change (although we all hope of course that it will change and improve). Practise makes perfect!

7. KCZooFan

Thank you Baldur,I couldn't agree more. I hope to improve overtime, by writing reviews. I have been working one each of those for a few weeks, trying to prefect it, but past a certain point, only experience can improve it.
    Good luck on your reviews for the British zoo magazines:)

8. KCZooFan

Just a couple of new updates

Today I saw a tufted deer in a behind-the-scenes holding area, so they may be putting them back on exhibit soon. (They've been of exhibt for 2-3 years)

Also, in a formerly empty exhibit in the discovery barn beneath the macaws is are two new radiated tortoises.

Attached Files:

9. KCZooFan

A few updates for the re-opening of Africa

Skyride looks nearly completed, but incredibly ugly and obstructive, :eek:

Saw two new female gorillas from Dallas I beleive

Two kirk's dik-dik added to African aviary (one very skittish, one almost aggresive)

Netting added over meerkat exhibits (probably after one was stolen a few months ago)

Attached Files:

10. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Send Tufani and Makena (the gorillas) love from Dallas! Makena was my favorite primate at the zoo! Are they in KC to breed?

11. KCZooFan

Will do!:D I don't beleive they are here to breed, as they are with an older male (also, jbnbsn99 says they are here for non-breeding purposes, so this is probably true :))

12. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Great review of the zoo and well put together many thanks for sharing
    first spotted in zoo animals flickr

13. KCZooFan

Over Memorial Weekend the whole Africa was open, so I saw the black rhino calf for the first time.

Kori bustard is gone and secretary bird has taken its place.

Started mixing one of the four blue duikers with the red-flanked duiker.

Sea Lion Pool Renovated (photo before renovation: http://www.zoochat.com/1137/sea-lion-pool-170937/)

Saw Sky Safari station (almost completed)

Also got a photo of one of the female gorillas for Dallaspachyderm (not sure which one though)

Attached Files:

14. Dallaspachyderm

Dallaspachyderm Well-Known Member

Thank you!! That is Tufani by the way :D

15. ZooMan Texas

ZooMan Texas Active Member

It was great to read your review. I went through the KC zoo last summer for the first time in over 40 years! The only thing still there un-changed was the sea lion pool. As a boy growing up this was the zoo which gave me my love for zoos, and resulted in the career I now have. I thought your review was very fair, although as a long-time zoo professional, familiar with animal/public needs and the difficulties of getting renovation projects done, I would not have been as hard on Tiger Trails as you were. I find it interesting that the harshest reviews most often come from laymen (yes, I would consider a post graduate student a layman). My main criticism of Kansas City would have been some of the barriers in front of some parts of the elephant exhibit. I thought they could have been a little more substantial, given the craziness of a certain segment of the zoo-going public.

16. KCZooFan

Well, I am going through some of my older, worse reviews, and improving them. Here is my new Kansas City Zoo review. If a moderator wants to replace the original, or let them both stand, I am fine with either.

Kansas City Zoo is one of my favorite zoos. Though the collection cannot compete with nearby zoos (Sedgwick County, St. Louis, and Omaha), the exhibitory is , for the most part incredible. It is home to some of the largest exhibits in the country. The Africa section is absolutely brilliant, but the rest of the zoo has some catching up to do. Overall, it is defiantly a good zoo. It was opened in 1909 as a single building with a few raptors and similar animals. Over the years it grew, and added more, mediocre exhibits. However, in the mid 90’s, they had a huge expansion, adding both Africa and Australia. This zoo is quite hard to traverse without lots of backtracking, due to a poor layout. Because of this, I shall describe the exhibits from best to worst, in my opinion.

Africa is huge exhibit, bigger than many zoos. There are several subtle immersion elements, but it is not overboard or cartoonish, creating a realistic environment. It is set in an open valley, surrounded by hilly forests. One section, the Congolese forest, is set in this forest. At one end of the exhibit is a large lagoon. The path goes through Botswana, stops in the Nairobi market, and travels in a loop through Kenya, Tanzania, and Guinea. A side path leads visitors across a bridge into the Congolese Forest. I shall have spate paragraphs for each of the five countries represented.
    Botswana has one exhibit. This is the African elephant exhibit. A long path (.25 miles) follows the length of the 4.5 exhibit. It is long and dusty, and has an obstructive cable fence. However, they can be viewed from across a moat at one end. Also at this end is a large pool for them to swim in. There is also an overlook into their small yard. A tram transports visitors from near the entrance down to Nairobi market, going through this exhibit.
    The first part of Kenya is Nairobi market. You reach here from Botswana from across a very large bridge over the Blue River. Buildings here include a restaurant, gift shop, snack stand and restrooms. Also here is the tram station, and boat house, and Skyfari station but more on that later. All the buildings are built to look like something you would find in Kenya, including many signs about the country. Toward the back of the market is an overlook onto the 17 acre African savannah exhibit. It is filled with grass and fake termite mounds. Going through part of it is a small river that connects to the larger lagoon. It is very shallow, and the animals can easily cross it. Species in this exhibit are: common eland, scimitar-horned oryx, lesser kudu, springbok, and gray crowned crane. The other exhibit in the market is lush mesh aviary for masked lovebird and white-cheeked turaco. The first exhibit on the loop is a raised one for cheetahs. They can be viewed from a boardwalk, of behind glass in a viewing cave. The exhibit is very long and large, and is set on a hill, giving the cheetahs a good view of the antelope. Up ahead is a sunken warthog exhibit. It is muddy and has water running through it. Behind it is part of the cheetah exhibit, allowing for an interesting predator prey exhibit. After this is another viewing deck of the African savannah. Also here is a bridge to the Congolese forest, but more on this later. A boardwalk passes over water, allowing views into the antelope exhibit on one side, and a nice, wetlands saddle-billed stork exhibit. Up next is a Bomas village area. There is a round hut that people can go in, as well as several more in the background disguising holding areas. There are three fenced yards, and two mesh aviarys. In the three yards are Aldabra giant tortoise/African spurred tortoise, blue duiker, and red-flanked/blue duiker. In the mesh aviaries are lappet-faced vultures and Bateleur eagles. After this is a large, walk-through aviary. There are several trees and a few small pools for the birds in here. Species are: Superb starling, white-headed buffalo weaver, lilac-breasted roller, cattle egret, bare-faced go-away-bird, hottentot teal, marbled teal, white-faced whistling duck, as well as Kirk’s dik-dik. Seen from the entrance to this aviary is a nice exhibit for red ruffed lemurs. Next to this is an aviary for silvery-cheeked hornbill, but it can only be seen from inside the aviary, providing better views. After this is another antelope viewing deck and a nice, large exhibit for southern ground hornbills.

The first part of Tanzania is a kopje exhibit. Most of the exhibits are smallish, but dicely detailed, they are all (with one exception) carved into the rock. Meerkats is habit two large, exhibits, with plenty of rocks for them to climb on. Northern greater galagos and black-footed cats have small exhibits carved into the boulders. The galagos live behind poor, reflective glass, and the cats live behind wire.. Bat-eared foxes, and black-throated monitors have glass-fronted, rocky exhibits. Servals have a nice, but smallish exhibit behind mesh. However, this exhibits has two things going for it though. The first is that the serval can climb up on rock, probably ten feet high. The other is that they have a very good view of the lions. There is also a large aviary for rock hyraxes and masked lovebirds with plenty of climbing spaces for the hyraxes. The main exhibit here is an enormous lion exhibit. This can be seen from across a moat in several locations, or inside a building through glass. It is the best lion exhibit I’ve ever seen, and offers views of the antelope for the lions. It can be viewed behind mesh and across a moat, behind glass in a cave, and from across a moat. The exhibit is actually pretty large and offers the lions enough room for plenty of exercise. A long, wooded bridge leads you to the other side of Africa. The first exhibit visible is a very large, muddy exhibit for black rhinos. This is below the visitor path level, so people are looking down on the animals. Next to this is a mixed species savannah for Masai giraffes, scimitar-horned oryxes, and ostriches. It is separated from the rhinos by a pool. Though much smaller and less grassy than the other savannah, it is still a good exhibit. Between this and the other savannah is a very lush exhibit for Grant’s zebras. This can only be seen from the Skyfari. A side trail leads over the Gombe stream to what may be Kansas City’s best exhibit; a three acre chimpanzee exhibit. 17 chimps are free to roam a great hillside exhibit, complete with tons of trees to climb. The exhibit goes back beyond vision into the forest. They can be seen from across a moat, or inside a building from behind glass. Near the chimp exhibit is the second Skyfari station; a chairlift that travels over the savannah exhibits. Back on the main loop, the path passes by large exhibits for gray crowned cranes (viewing is quite poor), secretary bird/kori bustard, and leopard tortoises. A small building has underwater views of an average slender-snouted crocodile exhibit. Further on is a hippopotamus exhibit. The pool and land are both of average size, but nothing great. A bridge leads over the path into their indoor holding area. Here is a boardwalk out onto the lagoon allowing visitors to access the boat, which travels back to Nairobi market.

Uganda is home to two exhibits. It is set partly in a forest. An African theater and boardwalk overlook of the giraffe exhibit and lagoon is set here. The first exhibit is an average African wild dog (formerly black-backed jackals [formerly African crested porcupines]) exhibit. It is actually very shaded by all the trees. The main attraction here is a 1.5 acre guinea baboon exhibit. It is covered in grass, and has some foliage for privacy in the back. There are many ills located throughout the exhibit, adding to the beauty. The large family group of baboons can often be seen playing is this amazing exhibit, from across a water moat, or behind glass. A long bridge leads from here to an island in the lagoon, and another one leads back to the Nairobi market.

The Congolese Forest is located deep in the Missouri forest, giving the somewhat feel of a rainforest. You can reach it from a very large, nearly 100 year old swinging bridge. The first exhibit here is a tall cage for black mangabeys. It is nice for them, with plenty of vertical space, but viewing is rather poor. Right after this is a leopard exhibit. It is a cage that extends over the path, allowing the leopards to access both sides of the exhibit. It is decent, but not nearly as good as the lion of cheetah exhibits. After this is a boardwalk exhibit. On the outside are three exhibits; a tall cage for red-capped magabey, and two yards for red river hog and yellow-backed duiker. In the center is a large, muddy exhibit for bongo and gray crowned crane. All the exhibits are very well shaded due to the large amount of trees. The best exhibit in this area is a multiple acre one for gorillas. This exhibit is very grassy and naturalistic, with plenty of trees for them to climb. It can be viewed from across a moat, or from behind glass. The only complaint I have about this section is the long walk out.

Australia starts with a restaurant and train station. It is set to look like a rural Australian town. A path leads down the hill, coming to the first exhibit, a large woodland aviary with several pools and streams. Most of it is sunken from the visitor path. Species include eclectus parrots, white cockatoo, sulfur-crested cockatoo, straw-necked ibis, black swan Australian shelduck, chestnut teal, smew (oddly enough), silver gull, blue-faced honey-eater, tawny frogmouth, long-billed corella, pied imperial pigeon, and wompoo fruit dove. Up ahead are large exhibits for emu and New Guinea singing dogs. Viewing for the emu exhibit is rather poor. The same could be said for a big exhibit for parma and red-necked wallabies. A aviary like walk-through enclosure houses Matschie’s tree kangaroos, who can often be seen sleeping in the two tree, creating a rather poor exhibit. A sheep station up ahead has two buildings; a replica of an Australian farmhouse and a museum with artifacts and exhibits. Species are: laughing kookaburras in a very poor exhibits and a couple of terrariums for spotted python and green tree python. Also here are domestic sheep that are free to wander around the farm, and to be petted by children. A very large exhibit houses dromedary camels, with a rocky backdrop. The best exhibit here is the multi acre red kangaroo exhibit that the whole path surrounds, allowing viewing into the exhibit at almost all times. It is very green and ha rolling hiss for the mob of over 50 kangaroos.

Though formerly a scar on the zoo, the new entrance is very attractive. It consists of two buildings (formerly one). The building on the left is the learning center, while the one on the righ houses a gift shop, restaurant, and restrooms, as well as the administration offices. These buildings are a little small, and could probably be remodeled to offer more for visitors. A very attractive wetland exhibit is home to trumpeter swans, as well a wild ducks and turtles. Next to this is a very nice, large, rocky, exhibit for North American river otters. They can be seen behind glass either on the land, or underwater in a large, filtered pool. The main attraction of this area is Polar Bear Passage, a brand new exhibit for “Nikita”, the polar bear. The bear has a large land area, and a sand pit. He can also swim in a 130,000 gallon pool. One downside to this is there is only glass viewing, surrounding three sides of the exhibit. The path slowly gets lower, allowing people to view the underwater section. There is also a large viewing building with underwater views. Overall, it is nicely done, but nothing amazing.

Tropics is in a small, hundred year old building. When the zoo first opened, it was home to the zoo’s entire collection. It is not an indoor rainforest at all like the ones in Omaha of the Bronx, but simply features some tropical animals. It is arranged in a loop, with four exhibits on the outside, and two in the center. The first one is a tall aviary for green aracari, freshwater stingray swimming in a pool beneath. Set in the wall is a small exhibit for golden lion tamarins. As boring an basic as can be. The most interesting exhibit here is one for white-cheeked gibbons and Asian small-clawed otters. There is two decent exhibit on each side of the path, both with pools and trees. The truly fascinating part of this exhibit is that the gibbons can pass over the visitor walkway, with a, while the otters can swim underneath it, with glass panels both above and below. In the back of the building is a fairly large exhibit for white-faced saki, prehensile-tailed porcupine, capybara, and crested screamer. There are trees for the monkeys and porcupines, and a pool for the capybaras. The lat exhibit is a similar one for three African species;African spurred tortoises, mona monkeys, and blue monkeys. Overall, this exhibit is nice, but in no way spectacular.

KidZone is basically a mix of random exhibit exhibits. One such exhibit is a sizable pool for California sea lions. It is set up like a pit, and is very ugly, but not bad for the animals. Also ere is a very ugly, wire, walkthrough rainbow lorikeet feeding cage, that should be demolished. There is a small snake house with species such as ball python, kingsnake, and Burmese python. There are few dusty pens for pot-bellied pigs, donkeys, llama, dwarf goats, and fallow deer. All are poor and should be immediately destroyed. Also here is a nice koi pond. Buldings here include a snack stand, carousel, abandoned great ape house, and a restaurant. The only good exhibit here is the two-story Discovery Barn, with nice exhibits for meerkats, green-winged macaws, Prevost’s squirrels, radiated tortoises, and small terrariums for poison dart frog, cane toad, American toad, hourglass tree frog, and red-eyed tree frog. There are two not so good exhibits for squirrel monkeys, and ring-tailed lemurs. They are concrete and have some climbing structures, but are subpar. Most of the exhibits in this barn have play structures near then, as well as a slide from one story to the next. Next to the Discovery Barn is the Peek-a-Boo Tree, a large tree-like playing structure with slides and stuff. Also nearby is a traditional playground. This area has a great position, but is pretty poorly executed.

The Aviary Row (I shudder to use its new name “Beaks and Feet Boulevard”) is a small row of wire and wood exhibits for spectacled owls, southern tamanduas, green iguanas, common peafowl, golden lion tamarins, red-handed tamarins, Brazilian agoutis, green-winged macaws, military-macaws, and bobcats. The exhibits are small but lushly planted. Also here is a valley exhibit for Chilean and lesser flamingos, and black-necked and mute swans. It is actually fairly large, and has two pools among the foliage.

The infamous Tiger Trail Even I cannot compliment this horrid exhibit. There are a few boring and average cages for francois langurs/red pandas (rotation during the seasons), wreathed hornbills/demoiselle drane, and tufted deer. An indoor tunnel houses red pandas/francois langurs and golden pheasants in more average exhibit behind glass. Two Sumatran tigers live in a dreadfully small exhibit. It is a tiny cage exhibit, with a few logs and tiny pool, but is honestly a disgrace. Not to be outdone, the zoo decided to create an equally disgusting exhibit for the fairly large Bornean orangutan family. It looks like horrible wire bird cage. The apes aren’t even visible behind the thick wire. They also have a tiny indoor exhibit viewed through glass. I cannot believe this exhibit is even acceptable by AZA standards. Only Omaha has a worse tiger exhibit that I’ve seen.

The zoo is great, one of my favorite (local bias maybe?). Africa is second to none, with a great collection and fantastic exhibitry. Australia is pretty good, and has a very large kangaroo exhibit. The rest is pretty average, exhibit the nice new entrance. Tiger Trail is horrible, and an embarrassment to this zoo. Over 102 years old, this zoo has a rich history, and will hopefully have a rich future. It is defiantly one of the larger zoos, so be prepared to walk. However, it is a must see zoo.

17. ZooGuyKC

ZooGuyKC Member

18. ZooGuyKC

ZooGuyKC Member

You should redo this review now that Tiger Trail has been updated and Helzberg Penguin Plaza has opened.