Join our zoo community

Kansas City Zoo Kansas City Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 27 Jan 2009.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TZFan

3. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

While it was clearly an awful ape house, I think it a real shame that this building could not be preserved and used in some way - it was a striking and, to employ a rather over-used word, iconic piece of architecture. It is our history that makes us who we are...

5. Milwaukee Man

6. Milwaukee Man

7. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Its an interesting one.. the sixties are now sufficiently devolved as to have genuine historical status,although as yet some/most of the architecture of the time still looks fairly awful - such is the case with Kansas` old Ape House, yet the renovation/conversion of older(much older) housing has been done superbly at the Bronx/Berlin/Vienna and many more,I think perhaps we should give the era a chance to achieve antique status before flattening it.
    Ive been to Kansas just the one time,and I rather think my photos of the zoo`s massive "Africa" area wont ever tell me which zoo I was at without checking..whereas that old Ape House was forever Kansas.There is certainly a loss of identity with the immersion style..whatever other benefits may accrue.

8. Milwaukee Man

9. Milwaukee Man

10. Milwaukee Man

11. Memo

Memo Member

I'd been planning to go to the Minnesota Zoo this weekend to see the monk seals, but due to the forecast of -1 that is no longer an option. Instead, my dad has offered to take me to the closer Kansas City Zoo, which will check a zoo off my list and be significantly warmer.

First though, are the outdoor exhibits open during winter? I know at the Blank Park Zoo here in Iowa nearly half the zoo closes during our chillier months. Since Kansas City is relatively close, do they have the same policy?
    Also, is there any benefit to staying a in one of the partner hotels listed on the website, like a discount/package deal or closer proximity to the zoo?

Thanks!

12. alhenton

alhenton New Member 10+ year member 5+ year member

The African animals have temperature restrictions on them so not all of them will be out. The African section is distinctly separate from the rest of the zoo. I believe the exhibits stay open, but not all animals are out. You may want to call ahead (maybe today since temps will be similar to this weekend) and ask about open exhibits. I will say that the rest of the zoo is great. There is a lot to see even if Africa doesn't have as much. Be sure to say hi to Roswell the squirrel monkey for me.
    As for the partner hotels, I do not believe there is any discount with staying at one of them. The ones listed are pretty spread out throughout the city. The zoo is in a good location though, so no matter where you end up staying, you're no longer than 20 minutes away.

13. Memo

Memo Member

Thanks for the information. The forecast was suppossed to be in the 30's, but ended up closer to 2 F! (I should never trust google forecasts)I still made my family trek around the entire zoo, with frequent ducks into restrooms just to warm up. We only saw one other family crazy enough to be there after the 11:00 penguin march, which was entertaining and gave me an opportunity to chat with some keepers.
    Since the African animals -- actually, most of the animals -- weren't out due to the cold, one keeper took pity on us and told us where to see some local wildlife in the zoo and that the crocodiles were indoors and on display in the African section.
    All in all, I do see potential in the zoo and will be coming back in warmer temperatures for a better judgement.

14. Milwaukee Man

15. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Planning a trip to the zoo in the next couple days. I haven't been in a couple years, penguin plaza will definitely be a new experience. Any other new attractions/additions that might be of interest? I guess the orangutan exhibit is also new.

16. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Is the new orangutan exhibit any good?

17. TZFan

18. TZFan

19. Milwaukee Man

20. TZFan