Join our zoo community

Keeping Capuchins and Spider monkeys together?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Magick, 11 Nov 2016.

1. Magick

Magick Member

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone knows of any zoos that currently, or have in the past successfully kept Capuchins and Spider monkeys together (for a uni design project)

I have tried to research this myself but any evidence I've found has either been old (so I don't know if it was a tried and failed attempt) or unclear whether the monkeys are kept together or just in the same building but separate enclosures.

Also tried to find evidence on youtube but all I get is Americans keeping Spider monkeys and Capuchins as pets rather than zoo or natural environments :(

TIA xxx

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Brookfield zoo has kept brown capuchins with 2 spider monkey species together in the past. Now the capuchins left because they did not get along with the giant anteater also in the exhibit.

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Parc las Leyendas in Lima, Peru keeps capuchins, spider monkeys and coati's on a big island. It was amongst my favorite exhibits in the zoo, very lively.

BenFoxster likes this.
  4. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm only aware of Geoffroy's spider monkeys in this mix; what was the other species? It's worth noting that although the arrangement was generally successful, a male spider monkey was highly aggressive to two male capuchins and they had to be rotated.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2016
    JVM likes this.
  5. pachyderm pro

The other species was a elderly Red faced spider monkey who I think was the only one in the U.S. That is maybe why the capuchins left the zoo. I would love to see them return.

6. pachyderm pro

The current species is actually a black handed spider monkey.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Wellington Zoo in New Zealand keeps both on the same island exhibit. The capuchins are Cebus apella, the spiders are mostly geoffroyi but there are a couple of elderly individuals of other species with them too (the zoo's original spider monkey group was of several species, so the old ones are the non-breeding remnants).