Join our zoo community

Keeping rollers in captivity

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by birblover, 11 Oct 2020.

1. birblover

birblover New Member

Sadly, there is a little information about this topic on the whole internet. Mainly you can find everything about rollers’ life in the wild, and only a few words about lilac-breasted or blue-bellied in captivity. I’m interested in european roller, for me it’s one of the most beautiful species and quite easy to buy. But not as easy to find anything about it! Is there anyone who can write me something about their captive care? Maybe someone worked with them in zoo and can tell me anything about their behavior? Are they easy to spook or more bold to people?

2. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most of the ones I've seen in captivity were rather friendly, not easily scared by humans but it really depends on the individuals and if they were in walkthrough exhibits or not.

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jardin des Plantes bred about six European Rollers in 2019. Private aviculturists often breed various roller species in relatively small aviaries. They’re usually pretty steady. Worth checking out the online index of the Avicultural Magazine. Racket-tailed Rollers bred by a private U.K. aviculturist back in the 80s, and there’s an article about it. Five roller species have been captive bred in U.K., the first being European Roller in 1901.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2020
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Took care and bred rollers at several collections and I must say, if they are incubating and raising young they realy can become aggresive and will attact everybody entening their enclosure !