Join our zoo community

Keeping wolves and bison

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Reptile Boy97, 5 Jan 2014.

1. Reptile Boy97

Reptile Boy97 Active Member

Hi, I have always been very interested in wolves and bison. I was just wondering if it is possible to keep them. I am guessing you would need a DWA for both. Is there anyone that keeps them in a private collection? Is it possible to keep them?

Thanks for any replies

2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

.....wolves & bison

American Bison are farmed for meat in the UK. Wolves are not.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Nice yet another person with the same superb ideas as the owner of SLWAP,by keeping preadator and prey in the same emclosure,it has a habit of not ending well!

4. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

He never said he wanted to keep them together, just that he wanted to keep them. Of course he might want to keep them together and just omitted that info...

5. Reptile Boy97

Reptile Boy97 Active Member

I wouldn't want to keep them together ever. I have more common sense than that. I would ever end up with eaten or dead bison or squished wolves. I just wanted to know if it would be possible to keep them (sepertely).

6. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes you could keep them separately, obviously both species require a DWAA licence and their enclosures would need decent fencing, a secure fence for the Wolves and a stronger fence for the bison, but all that is checked in order to get the licence. Both species are not really difficult to acquire.
    Both species are, and have been, kept privately.

7. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I know a bison farm near where I live. They seem not to need too much care, they live outside, no barn, just vaccination and dipping (and other vet care, as needed). I went on a tour of the place and it was very nice. Their meat is delicious, by the way.

BenFoxster likes this.