Join our zoo community

Kiev, Ukraine (not Russia)

Discussion in 'Russia' started by rodentia, 17 Sep 2009.

1. rodentia

rodentia New Member

Hallo
    I have been an unregistered "lurker" for sometime.
    Just found this zoo-blog from Kiev zoo
    Vodka, Bears and Elephants
    its a mix between a zoo blog and a personal one, but some interesting photos of an eastern european zoo
    Cheers
    Bella

2. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

welcome to posting Bella,

A great link thanks

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is not recent news and it is just contacts and exchanges with some foreign zoos. It does not mean that Kiyev Zoo has been re-accepted into EAZA. That probably will not happen before 2015.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

6. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was supposed to visit it last November, but unfortunately I did not manage due to other obligations in Kiev. I hope I ll manage this May. Kiev Zoo has been struggling a lot with mismanagement after the appointment of a new director couple of years ago (an appointment that was more because of political reasons then for the quality and knowledge of the person appointment). There has been a new director since last year and he brought in some qualified people from Western Europe but I haven't seen the results of that move yet. I hope I can tell you more later.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One wonders why this news of yesteryear - status 1/1/2010 - comes out once more more than a year later. Who is set to benefit from continued negative and sometimes outright tenditious report(ing)s?

As DDCorvus pointed out correctly a new director, advisor and various other senior zoo management have been appointed to repair wrongs and bring back the zoo to its former level of zoo of international standing.

Unfortunately, a first renovation - the bear facility - was already in execution when the new Director set up post. It was the legacy of the former non-zoo background zoo director appointed by political figures in Ukraine under whose guidance many of the wrongs of Kiyev Zoo became expressed systemically.

We get yesteryear reports, but no current ones on what is actually happening right now to bring back the Kiyev Zoo back from beyond the grave ... :confused: :mad:

8. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's information from second hand but I heard that even other ukrainian and russian zoos have no contacts with Kyiv Zoo and have no information from there.