Join our zoo community

Kinds of Birds Not Seen in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Crotalus, 11 Jun 2019.

1. Crotalus

Crotalus Member

I've been browsing around American zoo collections and a few foreign ones and I've noticed a conspicuous lack of grebes in captivity. As far as I know, they aren't particularly hard to keep. Do they require loose grass or other special conditions to do well in an aviary or exhibit?

Grebes inspired me to make a thread about kinds of birds not seen or rare in captivity. If you know anything about why these birds aren't kept, please let me know.

PLEASE NOTE
    -This is not for species; it is for groups of birds or genuses; however, monotypic genuses are alright, like hoatzins or something similar

Crotalus

Goura likes this.
  2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Moderator Staff Member

There are some captive grebes in Japan, although without my photos I couldn't tell you what or where. I think Little Grebes at Tama?

3. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

BirdLover121 likes this.
  4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member

I have seen Australasian grebes at Taronga Zoo and Territory Wildlife Park in Australia.

5. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member Premium Member

There were definitely grebes in two of the collections I visited last year - Walsrode & Lange Erlen in Basel. However I've never heard of Gaviiformes in any collections.

Black-necked grebe at Walsrode

Last edited: 11 Jun 2019
    BirdLover121 likes this.
  6. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

A facility or two hold Pied-billed Grebe here in the US.

I haven't either... only longer term captive references to loons I've seen have been a couple research facilities.

As far as other families go, shearwaters and petrels come to mind, as well as the storm-petrels. Albatrosses currently only represented by a pair of Laysan Albatrosses at Monterey Bay Aquarium. Hoatzin is another. Other notables would be tropicbirds, mesites, oilbird, finfoots, sheathbills, crab-plover, skuas, todies, jacamars, honeyguides, and a wide variety of passerine families.

Nightjars, swifts, swallows, frigatebirds, ground-rollers are only very rarely kept for various reasons.

Goura likes this.
  7. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

As the 2017 zoochat challenge show, Passerines are quite an underrated bird order, consider that it is everywhere.

Jeremy vacca and Great Argus like this.
  8. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member

At least a single rescued individual of the Great Skua is/was on show in Ecomare in the Netherlands.

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Seen quite a few captive grebes:

Black-eared at Walsrode and Augsburg.
    Little at Dresden, Koln, Frankfurt, Olching and Innsbruck.

Never seen a captive loon/diver but they pop up occasionally in European collections, usually as short-lived rescue animals.

Great Argus likes this.
  10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. Premium Member

I've seen single, presumably rescued, skuas at Artis, Walsrode and Mablethorpe over the years - think these are all long gone now though.

Black-necked (aka Eared), presumably, rather than Black-eared! :D

Black-necked were at Zurich and Stuttgart on my last respective visits as well, but are certainly not common in captivity. Little Grebes are a bit more common, but still not very, very. Don't think I've seen any others (even Great Crested, which being widespread and conspicuous you'd think would turn up as a rescue from time to time).

Great Argus likes this.
  11. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member

On my visit to the Montreal Biodome in September 2017 there was a stunning summer plumage red-necked grebe in their beaver enclosure, but I don't think it has been seen since so it might not have been that long-lived. It was an absolutely fantastic bird to see up close and even from an underwater viewing window, though!

The only other captive grebe I've seen is black-necked in Walsrode, as mentioned above.

Great Argus likes this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member

That's a shame! I wanted to plan a visit to Canada in the nearish future and was hoping to see the grebe.

Personally I have seen Black-Necked (Walsrode) and Pied-Billed (Aquarium of the Pacific) in captivity, though I'm unsure whether the latter is still present.

I know skimmers, genus Rynchops, do very poorly in captivity. I've only seen one in a zoo ever, a Black Skimmer rescued by the Bronx Zoo. I saw it only once, and I actually wasn't sure if it was even still alive until I could confirm it was breathing. My understanding is it died after a very short span at the zoo.

~Thylo

Vision likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member

Quite :p

14. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member

Zoogiraffe pointed out a skua to me at Mablethorpe, and I was like, so what, there are gannets. I never photographed it.

15. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member

Nice to know they are still there. What would be my chances of seeing them?

16. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member Premium Member

London Zoo had Antarctic skuas during the 1970s and 1980s. (I remember them best housed in one of the old Birds-of-Prey Aviaries but they were also kept in the Eastern Aviary too.)

Personally I would love to see both species of Picathartes again but, regrettably, I doubt I ever will.

FunkyGibbon and ThylacineAlive like this.
  17. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

I don't know I would say never, but birds that are rare (comparatively):
    swifts, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, albatrosses and petrels,

18. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member

Paradise kingfishers always spring to mind...

19. Crotalus

Crotalus Member

Do scoters do well in captivity? Eiders of course do, they're in a fair few collections...

20. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

The aquarium posts photos/videos of them fairly frequently on social media. However, I'm unsure of the chances of seeing them. When I visited in March I couldn't find any reference to the albatross encounter they used to do or any way to see one of them... was quite disappointed. :(

Any clue why they're short lived?

That I didn't know, curious if anyone knows why they don't do well?

I've wondered about that, very few collections seem to hold them. Surf scoter in particular seems like it would be a showy exhibit bird from the wild ones I've seen, but I've never heard of them being kept anywhere.

ZooBinh likes this.