Join our zoo community

Kinds of Birds Not Seen in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Crotalus, 11 Jun 2019.

1. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, the more you know each day. I don't know a female dog is call a b**ch either.

MRJ likes this.
  2. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I teach international students and the revelation that 'bitch' has an original meaning (female dog) rather than the expletive they've picked, up is always a shock to them

Last edited: 13 Jun 2019
  3. Pier-Luc Chouinard

Pier-Luc Chouinard Active Member

Thé Biodôme is practically in my backyard. It’s closed for repairs at the moment, supposed to reopen in December 2019, but I used to visit to visit it on a monthly-ish basis. The Grebe was still there, healthy and swimming before they close in 2018. It was supposed to stay on a permanent basis. I have no idea where it was relocated during the repairs, but if it survived the moving, my bet would be at the Ecomuseum in Montreal.

ThylacineAlive and Vision like this.
  4. zoo_enthusiast

zoo_enthusiast Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

They still bring the female albatross out everyday day at 1:30 pm for a talk. I have seen her last week and took some photos. Will post them later in the gallery

5. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

universem in gotenbourg has a rescue great crested grebe they even had two for a while

Great Argus likes this.
  6. Birdlover

Birdlover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Btw, a female duck is also called a hen.

7. Birdlover

I am not sure if skimmer are actually difficult to keep. I know some years back Buttonwoods had one for a while, I think at least a year or two. Also New England Aquarium might have had one for a bit also. The one at the Bronx may have just been unhealthy.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Inappropriately, IMHO, and not by me. But then, I've only been keeping ducks since 1967.

TinoPup likes this.
  9. Birdlover

Funny this thread should come out now. Recently I was talking to @ Thylacine Alive about finfoots and seeing if there was any in the U.S.. Some other groups not yet mentioned are francolins, cuckoos, sandgrouse and the order shorebirds in general not just a few rehab sandpipers and plovers. Considering there are over 10.000 species of birds, probably less than 10 percent and definitely less than 20 percent are in zoos, with large groups of species grossly under represented.

10. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well then. :p Next time I go then.

11. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was under the impression that all birds without specific terms for male and female (e.g. apart from gander/goose, cob/pen, etc.) were referred to as cock and hen

12. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the broadest sense, calling a male bird a cock and a female a hen is accurate for all species. However, if there are species specific pronouns, those are always more appropriate. Along with cob/penn, and gander/goose, you also have drake/duck, Tom or Jake and Jenny, and I believe there are a few more drifting around out there as well.

Goura likes this.
  13. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Falcon Tiercel for the boys falcon for girls (so clever)l

14. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It gets worse than that. The original term for a female dog in English was "sl*t". Bitch was adopted when that word gained it's negative connotations. Ain't English wonderful.

15. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No. That word was only used to refer to female dogs during a brief period in the 1900s. It had already been used for centuries to mean sloppy in appearance, and then specifically to women who were dirty, but not necessarily in a sexually-related manner. Bitch has always meant female dog, and goes back over a thousand years. It only became a vulgar term centuries later, to go along with with calling someone a dog as an insult.

MRJ likes this.
  16. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I read a different story, but never mind you could well be correct. In either case it does show how meanings of words change - often in unfortunate ways.

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Francolins are quite common in the private trade, and are often released by hunting groups in attempts to establish populations.

Guira Cuckoo isn't too rare in US collection, neither are Greater Roadrunners. Other than that, there are basically no other captive cuckoos in the US (there are are a few weird species here and there, but not many). Based on what I saw on Zootierliste, cuckoos seem a little more common in Europe, but not that much.

I have never seen a captive sandgrouse, but I was under the impression that there are few here and there in the private trade.

Shorebirds are by far the most common group of the birds you mentioned. Rehab birds are actually quite common, and Inca Terns are quite common. A few collections here and there keep gulls as well. While these are mostly rehab birds, Gray Gull is kept at some collections worldwide.

18. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've seen sandgrouse listed for sale online before. I've also seen three species in zoos, between Prague and Plzen. Tulsa Zoo is the only one in the US I know of that keeps sandgrouse.

~Thylo

19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Miami had sandgrouse back in 2013 - no idea if they're still there six years on though!

Four-banded Sandgrouse at Miami, 12/10/13 - ZooChat

20. Crotalus

Crotalus Well-Known Member

Skimmers, as far as I know, are difficult to keep in captivity because their life style. Their hunting and roaming habits aren't very conducive to captivity from what I've gathered. They might also be prone to illnesses like some other sea birds.