Join our zoo community

Kinds of Birds Not Seen in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Crotalus, 11 Jun 2019.

1. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On the subject of Caprimulgiformes, Perth zoo has at least one Australian Owlet nightjar (Aegotheles cristatus) in the nocturnal house

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Moonlit has two - unfortunately both the same sex. They are quite easy to breed if you have a true pair. Not commonly kept not because they are difficult but because they are not seen as interesting to the visiting public.

Actually I will make the point that any animal could potentially be kept in captivity if the correct conditions and care are provided, just that the cost of providing that must be less than the perceived value of holding them. Thus zoos might spend a fortune on say Giant Pandas but would not be willing to spend anything like that on an obscure seabird.

JVM and Ebirah766 like this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Imagine how many bird species a zoo could keep for the cost of a pair of Giant Pandas!

MRJ, birdsandbats, Goura and 3 others like this.
  4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are a whole group of species that are rarely seen - although many of them can be kept fairly easily. They are the brood-parasites, most of which will only breed if they are kept with a breeding group of their specific host species, making it very difficult to establish a sustainable captive population. These species include the honeyguides, many cuckoos, whydahs and indigo birds, plus the cowbirds. For example to breed the Fischer's or straw-tailed whydah you would need a breeding colony of purple grenadier waxbills! It seem that this can be done for some species, which are a little more flexible in their requirements: but the only species I know that is sustaining itself in our zoos is the black-headed duck, which seems to be indiscriminate about the ducks' nests that it parasitises.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Whydahs are seen fairly commonly in US zoos and private trade. There is even an introduced population of Pin-tailed Whydahs in California.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is the Black-Headed Duck self-sustaining? I know of two collections with them. Private trade?

~Thylo

7. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you know which species they use to rear their young in California?

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's a question I'd be very interested to know the answer to!

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

There's a recent paper (linked below) which discusses the potential impact of the Pin-tailed Whydah in North America and the Caribbean. The species is a generalist brood-parasite (i.e. it lays its eggs in the nests of multiple waxbill species, not just a single species). Of the native African hosts, five are established in North America/Hawaii/Caribbean (see Table 1: Common, Orange-cheeked and Black-rumped Waxbills, African Silverbill, and Bronze Mannikin). In Puerto Rico they mainly parasitise Orange-cheeked Waxbills.

Most concerning is that in California they also parasitise the Nutmeg Finch (Scaly-breasted Munia) which comes from Asia and is not a natural host of the whydah, showing that they can switch to novel species.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ua_macroura_in_North_America_and_the_Antilles

10. Great Argus

Nutmeg Finch isn't too novel though, it is an estrildid and belongs to the same genus as Bronze Mannikin (Lonchura). I do see the concern of them potentially accepting native birds as hosts though.
    The fact the whydahs are able to be increasing says something about the populations of the host estrildids though.

11. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In Europe quite a few shorebird species are well established.I think their rarity in US zoos may have more to do with native species protection legislation rather than intrinsic difficulty. For example, many collections have Pied Avocet, Black-Winged Stilt, Redshank and various Vannellus plovers among others.

gentle lemur likes this.
  12. gentle lemur

I believe that Slimbridge has had them continuously since an importation of eggs in the 1970s.

13. gentle lemur

Thank you. I was not aware of this situation with the pin-tailed whydah in America, but I was not surprised as I had that species in mind when I mentioned species that are more flexible in their requirements - being very familiar with its ubiquity in Ghana and the frequency of its importation as a cage bird in the past: I had also found a paper about captive-bred indigo birds that were raised by Bengalese finch foster parents and subsequently chose Bengalese as hosts (https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e04c/f31ec9e224469904ce323386783627f07812.pdf). There is some fascinating research about these birds, for example African cuckoos | Home
    Does anyone know of a zoo exhibit where a brood parasite is housed with a host species? If so, are either or both species breeding? I am not sure if this happens with the black-headed ducks on display at Slimbridge with other species (including Argentine ruddy ducks if I remember correctly), but they certainly breed off-show. I think the aforementioned pin-tailed whydahs would make a nice show in a moderately-sized walk-through with bronze mannikins and orange-cheeked waxbills as the males are such spectacular little birds which display frequently and vigorously.

14. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

Many wild ducks, when housed in artificially high densities and with a large number of other species in captivity, will randomly dump eggs in any available nest. Odd, unidentified eggs are quite common in clutches, and identity is difficult (or impossible) until the duckling hatches and is growing up. Such individuals often imprint on the other young in the brood; and this partially explains the prevalence of hybrids, often between seemingly unlikely species.

15. ThylacineAlive

Charadriiformes in general aren't exactly rare in captivity from what I can tell. I have seen five thick-knee species in captivity between the US and Europe, some more common than others but this is do more to interest and genetics than anything else. The aforementioned Vanellus lapwings are very common as well, with some being a bit more rare again due to interest and genetics. I've seen 14 species of gull (including kittiwake) and 4 species of tern (not counting the skimmer) in captivity. Most of these will be rescues yes but several still are apart of breeding programs. I've seen two stilt and two avocet species in captivity, all apart of breeding programs. Jacanas seem to do fine and breed as well. I've also seen one pratincole, which is captive-bred but pretty rare, though I think this is mostly due to lack of interest. As for non-Vanellus plovers, sandpipers, and oystercatchers, I've seen 11 species in captivity. Almost all are rescued individuals, but some are still apart of breeding programs.

EDIT: All three puffins are fairly common in the US as well, and there are various other Alcidae that can be found and bred in US zoos and aquariums.

EDIT EDIT: There's also the Egyptian Plover.

~Thylo

Last edited: 15 Jun 2019
    Great Argus likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have 14 captive Charadriiforme species.

17. Great Argus

I agree, just about any zoo I've visited holds at least one Charadriiformes. Monterey Bay Aquarium holds some 20 species I think, and many other facilities hold a good handful of species.

18. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Among less popular birds, sandgrouse, rails and tinamous are easy to breed in human care. The only reason why they are rare is that other groups are more popular (pigeons, pheasant).

One group not common in collections are Arborophila partridges. The reason may be the call of many species - like banging pieces of metal together.

19. ThylacineAlive

Never heard their call but I've seen three species of Arborophila and they certainly are beautiful birds. I'd love to see some in the US.

~Thylo

20. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

For many years we kept and bred A. torqueola and A. brunneopectus (the latter for the first time in the UK). They are lovely, and we never heard them make a sound. I very much doubt that the call of any partridge has any impact on its popularity...